Verizon's $15 Data Deal Gone

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mobile Consultant

Default Verizon's $15 Data Deal Gone

So I got me a Droid 2 because I found a certified pre-owned one for $50 and I only needed $15 a month for data.

Then I added a phone and increased the plan, still selecting $15 for 150MB of data (of which I plan on using less than 25 MB).

This all happened on or before 28 Jan 11.

I checked my data usage on my phone and it says 12MB out of unlimited.

Strange. So I talked to Verizon. They said the $15 package was phased out on 1 Feb 11.

They are back to $9.99 for 75MB required for texting phones (called Feature phones) and $39.99 unlimited required for all smartphones.

I told them that since I chose the $15 package I should get it since they didn't even tell me they were getting rid of it. They are supposed to get back to me on this.

If I end up having to pay that extra I would have been better off taking the penalty and changing services. I've already jumped off the bridge and gone full on Android from PalmOS so I'm really reluctant to return the phone (I'm still in my 14 day return window) plus I really like it (it is so hard to find a phone with a physical keyboard).

So, a warning to the rest of you, the salad days of $15 data on Verizon are over.
    "The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke ("Clarke's Law")

"Make box talk!" - Inner Prop whilst hitting his monitor with a stick

KSD
    From 6 f under to zombie

Default Re: Verizon's $15 Data Deal Gone

that sucks bro. I would report that on the BBB site.

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email)
    Retail Price: $29.99
    from their site; the only other data plan for smartphones is for a business device. still sucks that the other data plan is gone. I blame the iPhone
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

It's a state of mind..

Quote Originally Posted by RickAgresta View Post
    from their site; the only other data plan for smartphones is for a business device. still sucks that the other data plan is gone. I blame the iPhone
    Can't really blame the iPhone for this one. You can still get 220MB Data plan from AT&T for $15/month, and that is on any smartphone. I think TMo has something similar for their smartphones as well.

This is all VZ.
    Device history: Palm M500=>T5+IR Keybrd+2G Sd=>700P+2G SD=>755P+1G miniSDHC+Jawbone 2 => 16g iPhone 3G (Sold) => 16g iPhone4 & 16G iPad1 => 32Gig White iP5 (Still rockin' iPad1)

If you are into Twitter look me up @AUDad

Also on Google+

Google'd.

Quote Originally Posted by RickAgresta View Post
    Yea, I think it's a move from VZ to "brag" that they still offer unlimited data, plus force all those new iPhone users onto a pricier plan.

Inner Prop, it should only be $29.99 not $39.99. And if you fight them hard enough they should grandfather you in...worst case call and ask for retentions, and tell them you are going to cancel and they are going to wave the ETF if they don't fix the breach of contract. Cell phone companies are easy to negotiate with if you use the right words and resources. That's what retention is there for.
    "Give them nothing! But take from them everything!"

Gear Diary

Buttons!

Quote Originally Posted by Inner Prop View Post
    I told them that since I chose the $15 package I should get it since they didn't even tell me they were getting rid of it. They are supposed to get back to me on this.
    If I end up having to pay that extra I would have been better off taking the penalty and changing services.
    That is how this happens traditionally -- they grandfather you in. My guess is, they don't actually have to leave you on that plan, but if they change the terms on you, you should be able to get out of the contract even if you're not in your return window. For that matter, since they broke the contract and not you, I can't imagine why they'd even insist you return the phone (but if they do, fighting it probably isn't worth more than a brief argument).

At a minimum, by changing such a big term (people often try to get out of etfs based on changes in terms that no one knows what the meaning of is -- pure legalese. They flat out changed the price of your data if your dates are accurate, and that's huge.), you should now have no penalty to pay to leave verizon if you wanted.

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Quote Originally Posted by brickman65 View Post
    Can't really blame the iPhone for this one. You can still get 220MB Data plan from AT&T for $15/month, and that is on any smartphone. I think TMo has something similar for their smartphones as well.

This is all VZ.
    while mostly a tongue in cheek comment, I think QF is onto something
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Mobile Consultant

Yeah, I don't blame iPhone directly, but I do think this is why Verizon did it.

BTW, I had a typo, it is $29.99. I so often think of it as $30 that I must have typed a 3 first.

Still, I selected from their choices, $14.99 TWICE before the change. It isn't like it was some sort of mistake or software glitch.

Another problem is, if I leave Verizon then my phone isn't a phone anymore since it's Verizon and doesn't have a sim card. I suppose it might make a nifty replacement for my TX, but I really do like just having one thing. And my two daughters are on Verizon too.

Well, the customer service guy who I talked to said he would talk to me Tuesday, so if I don't hear back from him I'll call tomorrow and argue with the magic words you mentioned.

Thanks for the help.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke ("Clarke's Law")

Mobile Consultant

Default Update

UPDATE - I talked to Verizon on Tuesday evening. I explained the whole thing and the guy said that he would put me back on the $15 plan. I'm grandfathered in by two days, whew.

It remains to be seen if something else screwy happens, but he said it should be back.

Of course he said that if I go over the 150MB I will be charged an additional $15 for an additional 150MB and at that point I would be better off getting the $29.99 unlimited plan (better off by one cent that month).

I said, "Ah, but then the $15 door would be closed and I could never go back since it has been phased out."

He reluctantly agreed that that is true.

I am learning your ways Verizon, I'm a slow learner, but I am learning.

Buttons!

You beat the man. Congrats.