Is Verizon better/cheaper than AT&T??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mobile Enthusiast

Default Is Verizon better/cheaper than AT&T??

I have been an AT&T user for years, but am considering Verizon as I hear that their quality is superior in NYC and I'm considering an Omnia. I always thought that Verizon was more $$$ but they seem to be similar. Can anyone support/refute this? Additionally, do they unlock their phones upon request and does the Omnia accept a SIM? Thank you for any help!

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Default Re: Is Verizon better/cheaper than AT&T??

Verizon is considered to be the most expensive company. There are some discount programs available depending on your employer that can get you a percentage off. There is no such thing as a SIM card for a Verizon phone, unless it is designed to be a "world phone" and then the SIM card would not work in North America but only "over there".

I have been with Verizon for years. I was with Att back before they were GSM and the service was awful. At the time, Verizon was much better. In some areas I hear that is still the case. There are times I find my signal is very weak but my friends with an Att phone have a good signal. But those times are rare compared to the times I have a good signal and my friends with Att have no signal.

Verizon offers a "worry free" guarantee and you can get out in 30 days if you are not happy. They also do NOT renew your contract every time you call customer service to change your rate plan. Verizon is known for "crippling" certain features on phones that other carriers would not touch. GPS is an example of this kind of crippled feature. All Verizon Blackberries but the Storm have their GPS locked to force you to subscribe to a $10 a month VZNavigator plan. The up side is you can call and turn it on for $3 a day for only one day at a time. Theoretically you could use it like "pay per view" and only spend $3 on days you really plan to use it. I have not tried this but I have heard it can be done because of Verizon's worry free policy that allows you to switch plans daily if you want to. It is clunky because it can lead to hard to read bills whenever you switch plans.

If price is of central importance, you might want to stick with Att. If the best possible call quality in a wide variety of conditions is important, then by all means move over to Verizon.

There are people who will tell you Verizon is evil, they hate them, etc, etc. I do not like them but they aren't that bad. One thing I like is that they made the process of swapping phones relatively painless.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Brighthand Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by w1sc0 View Post
    I have been an AT&T user for years, but am considering Verizon as I hear that their quality is superior in NYC and I'm considering an Omnia. I always thought that Verizon was more $$$ but they seem to be similar. Can anyone support/refute this? Additionally, do they unlock their phones upon request and does the Omnia accept a SIM? Thank you for any help!
    Personally, I would not recommend Verizon over AT&T if coverage isn't an issue. Verizon tends to be more expensive, and has fewer options for phones, including not being able to buy unlocked phones.

I haven't tried out the various networks in NYC, but I have a hard time believing that AT&T wouldn't make sure its network can be used from as many places as possible in such a major city.

Verizon does not unlock phones on request, and their version of the Omnia will not accept a SIM card. Their service is CDMA, and thus incompatible with SIM-based GSM networks.

Quote Originally Posted by r0k View Post
    GPS is an example of this kind of crippled feature. All Verizon Blackberries but the Storm have their GPS locked to force you to subscribe to a $10 a month VZNavigator plan.
    This is now the case with their Windows Mobile devices as well, though these will probably all be hacked to enable GPS without the fee.

Banned

As a long-time Verizon user (when it was Bell Atlantic and Nynex), I can say that it is a question of pros and cons. The network is the best almost throughout the country. Check Consumer Reports or JD Power or a variety of other on-line sources. Verizon is number 1 in almost every area, and in the one or two it isn't, T-Mobile usually is (or Alltel, which Verizon just bought). ATT is usually the worst.

Verizon, until very recently had atrocious phone choices. They were VERY slow to get CDMA models of decent phones if they got those phones at all. For obvious reasons, few manufacturers were willing to commit to making CDMA versions of GSM phones they can sell around the world (Nokia, Apple, BlackBerry until recently, etc.). Basically all they had were Motorola, Samsung and LG. The phones are typically more expensive (as are the plans); but at least the 3G service is much more available, so if you are paying for it you can actually use it. However, as mentioned, the phones are often terribly hobbled, which has become an increasing concern as they can do more and more. Before, it was basically the Bluetooth was prevented from being a connector except for headsets. I've actually found the customer service to be decent, within the bounds of what they can do for you.

You may want to stick with what you have until Verizon makes the rumored switch to LTE, which is the 4G 'convergence' standard that seems to be the coming thing. At that point, you'll probably have a larger choice of phones, a great network, AND the successor to GSM with SIM cards, etc.

Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks to the both of you. Omnia looked cool, so I decided to visit the Verizon site. I do travel a bit, though, and I like having the flexibility of GSM/SIM.

Banned

I should add I'm in the same boat as you are. I've been waffling for a year or so. I fully intended to buy an iPhone, but was really ticked off by some of Apple's decisions. Then I focussed on the Storm, but with the review posted here by someone, that looks discouraging as well. I'm pretty much at a loss. I probably will struggle along with my basic phone and plan.

Banned

One more thing, I sent this to Mr. Hardy, but I thought it might apply here. David Pogue of the Times reviewed the BB Storm and TRASHED it! I don't think I've ever read such a negative review from him. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/te...e.html?_r=1&hp

Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard
    Arkansas (In The Middle of Absolutely Nowhere) Device: Nokia N800

It depends entirely on your coverage. My area is exactly the opposite as r0k's. AT&T almost always has really good signal, Alltel is okay, and VZW just plain stinks where I live. I like buying unlocked GSM phones and getting a free phone with a plan and swapping the SIM. You can't do that with VZW, Alltel, or Sprint, but you can do it with AT&T, Tmo, and other GSM carriers.

@ Varjak: OUCH! They killed the Storm! I see why it can get annoying, but that was a bit harsh.
    Past and current devices: Palm m505 (Sold) > Palm Zire 71 (nonfunctional working) > Tapwave Zodiac 1 (nonfunctional) > Palm Tungsten T5 (nonfunctional tenatively functioning) + SE w300i + 2GB SanDisk SD + Cheap $5 keyboard (that works…)(sold) > Cingular 8125 (retired) + 2GB MicroSD in adapter > Nokia N800 + 4GB SDHC + 8125's 2GB MicroSD in adapter + Palm M505

Apple User

I moved from Verizon to AT&T (to get the iPhone)

Over all I'm liking AT&T much more, they have better service in my area(of course that could be different for you)

Also the ability to buy an unlocked phone, pop in my SIM card and go, is lovely.

Mobile Enthusiast

Sorry, varjak, but the review from the NYT mainly strikes me as an e-tantrum. 'Wah-wah-wah. They dared to make a design change. Wah-wah-wah' BB shows commitment to their traditional design by releasing the Bold at the same time, so try to recognize the Storm as what it is - the initial foray into an additional form factor that is far stronger in the consumer segment, which BB has yet to penetrate to any significant degree.

Now, back on topic. I switched to VZW several years ago due to coverage limitations with both Sprint and AT&T. I have found their customer service to actually be a service (i.e. helpful and responsive as opposed to the hopelessly Byzantine processes I experienced with Sprint). I have also found their tech support to be quite capable (including being walked through undocumented procedures that solved BT tethering issues with a Motorola handset).

CDMA would be an issue for me if I did much international travel, but I don't so it isn't. Good US network access is my primary concern and VZW still has the widest reliable coverage, especially important if you require reliable connections outside urban areas. Pricing plans for all carriers change frequently, but in the long run they tend to be fairly comparable and rather than lose a subscriber, they usually allow you to change to a more attractive plan if one becomes available. I have done so with VZW several times.