Transferring Vx from Win95 PC to XP PC

Closed Thread

Unhappy Transferring Vx from Win95 PC to XP PC

I'm beginning to think I have tried to undertake too much at one time. So if anyone can give me advice on how how to succeed. I m all for it.

I bought a new PC (XP) last year but continued to leave my Vx connected to the old PC (Win 95). It works fine on the old PC syncing via the cradle/serial port

I've decided that I want to connect the Vx to the new PC, and give the old PC to my son. I also want to upgrade my OS. So I downloaded 4.0.1.

I've tried to import the data from the old Palm Folder to the new PC and that does not work. Ive tried just installing the new OS , that didn't work. I have not yet done a migration of the old PC to the new PC. Dont know what that would change actually.

Maybe I'm more PC illiterate than I previously thought. but let the lashings begin if it helps me sort this problem out.

Thanks
    93 Cobra .......ssssssssssssssssssssssss

Mobile Deity

Download and install either Palm Desktop 4.0.1 or 4.1 and install them to an account with administrator rights. Assuming you have a serial port on the new PC, just connect your Palm and HotSync; it will ask if you want to create a new user - go ahead and do it. Don't worry about transferring the data - the data will transfer from the Palm to the PC.

Thumbs up

Thanks Jennifer,
    Before I got your message I decided to remove all versions of the palm OS from my new PC. Then I reloaded the older version of the OS 3.X.X to the new PC.
    Synced the first time then loaded the 4.0.1. Immediately noticed the sync symbol was different. So I guess my mission has been accomplished , just finishing up adding my avantgo portal.

Thanks though

93 Cobra

Angry inability to make Palm Vx with new Dell Inpiron Laptop with Windows XP

I just bought a new Dell Inpiron 2650 with Windows XP. I tried to install my Palm Pilot Vx and the first thing that I notice is that there is no 9 pin serial port on the back of the computer. I bought a an adapter and plugged the Palm Pilot cradle to the printer port. During software installation, I get an error message relating to the COM port. Apparently, the only COM port that is available is COM port 3, which is used by the internal moder. The long and the short one is that I cannot do a local hotsync because the Palm thinks that I am trying to do a hotsync over the modem, which is not the case. I called Dell to see if I could change the COM port and basically the just told me that the Palm Vx is not compatible with Windows and to call Palm. I disable the internal modem, but now the Palm does not find any COM available.

HELP!!!

Mobile Deity

Are you sure you plugged the Palm into the printer port? If so, that won't work. You need a Serial-to-USB adapter. The Belkin brand seems to have the best drivers for Windows XP.