Missing Palm VX installation CD

Closed Thread
    Mobile Evangelist

Default Missing Palm VX installation CD

My hard disk had to be erased, and while setting it up all over again I found that I have misplaced the installation CD that came with the handheld.

Short of borrowing a CD from another Palm owner (I am having difficulty finding anyone with a Vx who actually wrote down the registration number of the software), how can I correct get the necessary software onto my hard disk? Can I download it from Palm and, if so, can someone supply a link for me? Or must I repurchase it from Palm in DC form (or perhaps get it for a mininal cost if I supply them with my registration number)?

Any aid will be much appreciated as I am concerned about not being able to hotsynch and thus keep my data safe.

Thank you,
    Corina

Mobile Deity

Hello corina.

You can download the Palm Desktop software for free from Palm's website. You can get it here .

What you can't get there is any of the third party software such as Pocket Mirror for Outlook synchronization. If you need to get the installer for Pocket Mirror, you should get in touch with Chapura .

Alan G

Mobile Evangelist

Many thanks, Alan.

I never dreamt it would be so easy.

So to double check: Will the downloaded desktop software, once configured with my username (and whatever else) enable me to immediately hotsynch and be "in business" again? Is there nothing special about the installation disk that came with the handheld which makes the hotsynch work? Do I at least have to know which port the connection uses (right now I don't have a clue)?

I ask because something went wrong with Windows, making it necessary to erase my entire hard disk, reinstall windows, and start over from scratch with all programs - leaving me very skittish about anything technological.

Corina

Mobile Deity

Will the downloaded desktop software, once configured with my username (and whatever else) enable me to immediately hotsynch and be "in business" again?
    Yes. Download Palm Desktop from Palm's download page , and install it. This will install Palm Desktop and the HotSync Manager. If you where syncing data to Palm Desktop, this all you will need to install.

Is there nothing special about the installation disk that came with the handheld which makes the hotsynch work?
    I'm not sure what you mean. The Palm Desktop 4.1 download for Windows contains all the software required to get a Palm handheld to synchronize data with a PC. The only thing "special" about the software disc is that it has some third party bundled software, like Pocket Mirror, that was included free with the Palm. If you where not using this software, there should be nothing more to install. If you where using third party software that was on the disc, you will have to get in touch with the software vendor to get a new installer.

Do I at least have to know which port the connection uses (right now I don't have a clue)?
    You will have to figure out which port the Palm's cradle is connected to, but that isn't too hard to change.

Alan G

Mobile Evangelist

Thanks again, Alan, for your detailed help. As I don't use Pocket Mirror, I trust I'll get through this successfully.

Corina

Mobile Deity

If you get Palm Desktop installed, and you find that something is missing, let us know by posting to this thread, and we will get you back in business.

Alan G

Mobile Evangelist

I got my computer back, downloaded the Desktop Software 4.1 version, installed, synched, and I'm now back in business - except for two problems:

1. When I hit the icon to open the desktop software, either on the desktop or in the taskbar, it takes about 40 seconds for the program to open - i.e. get from the Desktop Software screen to the program itself, in which I can switch from addresses to datebook, etc. Eventually, it does get there But on the previous version of the computer, it opened practically instantly. What am I doing wrong?

2. The expense function doesn't work. The synch log shows that it has synched to the desktop, but the expenses on the handheld do not appear on the desktop. And when I try to "add a new expense," the program crashes.

Should I uninstall the whole business (I've kept the installation file on my disk) and install it over again? Or is it possible that there's a glitch in the softward Palm is offering for a download?

Corina