09-11-2003, 12:17 PM #1
- Join Date
- Nov 2002
Follow these steps to solve most of the install problems people are having
(I previously posted this on the attws forums)
Okay after a day of figuring out all of the odd qwirks with the new software update, I have come up with some installation tips. Hopefully this will help someone in installing the update.
1) Follow all of the Palm directions, however after you have flashed your palm, don't install any of the software. Perform a full reset on the device so that you are starting out with a clean slate. This will remove anything on the device so have the data you use to sync available. In my case, I sync with Outlook so all of that data was there. Remove and then re-add the hotsync profile. If you use palm desktop, get your backup data files for the PIM data out of the folders in /Program Files/Palm/<Your user name> before you do this. After you have removed and replaced the user name, copy the palm data back into the proper PIM directories.
2) go to /Program Files/Palm/Add-on/TungstenW Update 1.0 and install all 7 files located in that directory. To do this you can double click on one of them to bring up the install dialouge, and then just drag the rest to that dialouge box.
3) sync the palm. you must do this before proceeding or you will have problems down the road in updating WebPro. If you sync with Outlook as I do, it may be a good idea to set up Pocket Mirror to have the Desktop Overwrite the handheld on your PIM data. Dont set this as the default. That way when you set it to have the Desktop overwrite it will be a one time deal and the settings will default back to sync upon next sync. Please note that after this sync the device is going to ask you to reset.
4) After you have synced, and you must sync, go to the directory in the Add-on directory named Web Browser. There are 3 files there. Dont install any of these yet. First go to the palm website to download the config util. the url is http://www.palmone.com/us/support/tu...b_pro_21.html. There is a link in there for the config util. Follow the directions and when prompted to open or save, choose open. This will open up the install dialouge box for palm desktop and put one file in there. Next drag and drop the 3 files from the Web Browser directory in there and push the sync button.
5) The device will have all of the software on it that Palm intended at this point. You can re-add other software like the 4 clipper files in the Add-on directory to enable Web Clipping, but note that it does not support the new Palm Prefs UI, so I would not install that until Palm has come out with an updated clipper.
6) Okay, well by now if you have tried to use WebPro, you have noticed an oversite on Palms Part, there is no Network set up in preferences. you can crate one by going to Prefs on the Palm and clicking the link to Network and the where it says Untitled, click on that to highlight it and change it to something like AT&T GPRS. Next select the conection drop down to GPRS. **If you want the conection to be persistant when the device goes to sleep, then click Details...Idle Timeout and select Never. That's it just click Ok and then Done. Your conection will now work.
7) Go ahead and install programs you had on there before..
I hope that someone can find this of value. I performed these exact steps on my Palm, and it runs like a charm. The new features that Palm put into this ROM update are really great!
By jacobweber in forum Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)Replies: 5Last Post: 04-19-2004, 05:46 PM
By jahasloth in forum Tungsten T seriesReplies: 1Last Post: 02-27-2004, 01:46 PM
By BobW in forum Tungsten T seriesReplies: 0Last Post: 11-07-2003, 06:18 PM
By jonlien in forum iPAQ h3600-h3900 seriesReplies: 11Last Post: 05-07-2001, 10:39 PM
By wizzzzzzard in forum General Windows Phone (Plus Windows Mobile, Pocket PC, Smartphone)Replies: 2Last Post: 02-09-2001, 07:54 PM