Tungsten? T5 Update v1.1 - Page 7

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    I can't remember

And a high five to all.

I have reached the light at the end of the tunnel. This is a hideous-to-perform upgrade and I don't yet know if it's worth it. I would strongly recommend anyone who has installed additional apps and/or personalised their apps to buy (and use) a backup app first. Why Palmone is releasing an update that wipes the T5 I don't know.

Anyway, I did it all as in my previous post and then sat on the train home to get my T5 back to how it was, if not better. Most of the apps came back with the hotsync. I restored my internal drive in its entirety using BackupBuddy VFS Professional (v. 3.1 RC 2) (from www.bluenomad.com with complete ease. I then reckoned I wanted all my preferences back (such as cities in 4cast) and really couldn't be arsed to set everything up again (I ditched my T3 for the T5 because I was so teed off with hard resets) so I bit the bullet and did a full restore from BBVFS.

As the Palm reconfigures some things from scratch after the reset (after reading the BBVFS manual) I knew that some files would appear newer on the T5 but that I'd want to overwrite them from my backup to get my prefs.

So, using a complicated statistical formula called pot luck, I sat on the train and selectively overwrote anything that didn't look like a system file or a game or font, etc. that I had already got back from the hotsync.

I now have an upgraded T5 configured exactly as before (well, slightly better as I changed colours (using Khroma) and fonts (using fonts4os5) again). I also had to pair my BT phone again, but it worked fine on the train, even better now as I can now see its model in the available phones list. I have also set up a GPRS network account in additrion to my dial-up account.

I think I have c. 10 Mb more storage now (I didn't write down the original figure), but that might eb just beacuse I've overlooked an app/database or I deleted something to make more space (embarrassingly, my T5 was fine space-wise, but I had to delete stuff off my PC as I had less than the 15Mb required to run the upgrade!).

NavMan (my satnav app) isn't happy and I may have to reinstall, but otherwise I think I am a happy camper. More happy, perhaps, that I seem to have successfully navigated my way out of this upgrade rather than because I now have it.

So, BACK UP first, read the instructions carefully and check here to see if those who have succeeded reckon it's been worth it.
    Brain -> Casio -> Sharp -> Filofax -> Palm Pilot -> Palm Professional -> Palm IIIc -> iPAQ 4660 (oops) -> TT3 + T610 + NavMan -> TT5 + SE K700i + NavMan -> TT5 + 2Gb SD card + SE K810i + universal PDA thumb board + external mike + TomTom ONE + BlackBerry 8800

Winner of the Brighthand Palm 5th Anniversary Contest
    NOT

Ooh NO, missus...

Worked for me too. When that bum-clenching fatal error after three minutes of launching it occured (that others have also found), a soft-reset and rerunning worked instantly.

And I too have gained over 10Mb - and have to agree that the unit feels FAR more responsive - especially when opening and closing very large databases. I chose to hard-reset before running - so some apps preferences had to be set again and a few registration codes dug out - but aside from that, I is one happy bunny.

I can't remember

Originally posted by Milkman
    What is the update for??
    Go to palmone and see, or look at the other, bigger thread on this.

Does it fix the search Bug??(Stops At 8?)
    Yes.

(Sorry - in a rush.)
    Brain -> Casio -> Sharp -> Filofax -> Palm Pilot -> Palm Professional -> Palm IIIc -> iPAQ 4660 (oops) -> TT3 + T610 + NavMan -> TT5 + SE K700i + NavMan -> TT5 + 2Gb SD card + SE K810i + universal PDA thumb board + external mike + TomTom ONE + BlackBerry 8800

NOT

Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks STREAKY!
    When I have some time ill give a chance.

I can't remember

Originally posted by AKAJohnDoe
    I am interested in knowing if this likewise resolves the issues with BackupBuddy VFS (V3.07).
    Well, the restore worked okay (see my other post). I disabled this morning's auto back up and have just begun backing up my internal drive. Around half way through it crashed:

MemoryMgr.c, Line:3877, Invalid chunk ptr

I'll have another go after I've reset and then try a full system back up.

As far as I'm concerned BBVFS earned its stripes just for seeing me through this upgrade.

[Edit]

Completed the back up of my internal drive this time, but then got:

Fatal Exception

Will reset again.

[Edit]

Success! Now moving to my first post-update full system backup (the one I usually run at 3am each morning).

[Edit]

Full back up worked right up to the end but then the BBVFS screen froze partially written. I assumed the worst and thought another reset was on the cards but when I pushed my Datebook button I went off there. Returned to BBVFS to see that last back up was the one I've just done, so ran it again just in case. Everything went okay.

I really think I ought to do some work now.

NOT

Ooh NO, missus...

BackupBuddyVFS - for me, anyway - now seems to work like a charm.

Entrepreneur

Originally posted by rokplo
    The update doesn't appear on european palmone pages. Is this update compatible with french T5 ? (i mean international T5 ?)
    Yes. It seems to be the international version (also) at www.palmone.com.

I downloaded it last night. During installation, it was asking the language and actually had the correct one pre-selected (German in my case).

Hope this helps.

Entrepreneur

Default T5 Upgrade - Carefully follow instructions

I thought it might be helpful for some of you in progress to upgrade.

Like others, I also had often the issue of resets after hotsync.

So I was eager to upgrade:
    I printed the instructions (http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...nt5update.html and http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...e_install.html) and followed them strictly.

The whole upgrade took about 20 Minutes and happend as described in the oline-instructions AND as well the instructions of the upgrade program.

I usually tend to quickly click the yes or continue buttoms. This time I really carefully read the steps and points and followed precisely.

So the upgrade went eventless.

Since the upgrade, I haven't had a single reset, have more RAM and it somehow feels even faster.

Good luck to all the upgraders.

Ooh NO, missus...

The instructions that I read somehow got themselves a bit confused, and started calling the INTERNAL drive the LIFEDRIVE when backing up the internal memory. Bless 'em - they even magae to b*gger-up their solutions to the original b*gger-ups...

Mobile Enthusiast

Default An idea.

I have an idea.

If it isnt too much trouble, someone please run speedy (or simmilar benchmarking program) on an updated T5 and compare the results with a non-updated T5. I'd like to know what the actual speed difference is.