Tungsten? T5 Update v1.1 - Page 6

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mobile Deity

Originally posted by drgmtpalm
    Restoring with a progam like BBVFS or backupman wont (I dont think) restore the previous ROM version. This version becomes set in stone I think. Backup prgrams only backup programs and preferences.... I think......
    You are correct.

There is very little point in backing up ROM as it is Read Only Memory and is therefore non-volatile.

An obscure exception: If one changes ROM with something like Jacksprat/JackFlash, it is advisable to have a backup!

Backup programs are generally for RAM, which is intended to be modified by the user.

Come, let me clutch thee.

Default before I begin to install...

I have downloaded the update and read the instructions on loading it. One thing though, the instructions say that I need Hotsync Manager 6.0.1. I have Hotsync Manager 5.0P. After searching around on the PalmOne website, I am still unable to find the newest Hotsync Mgr to download. What am I missing?

Can someone please tell me where to find this verson (6.0.1)? Or, is it installed when I install the new update (although that doesn't seem to make much sense).

Thanks for the help,

AV
    [B]ut the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of sloitude.

Come, let me clutch thee.

Nevermind.

AV
    [B]ut the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of sloitude.

Psychologist

Default Date of previous rom update

When performing the check to see if you need the update (I know I do) i get Sat 10/16/2004 2:45Pm. Did my T5 even have the previous Rom update or am I two behind? I boght my T5 in April 05
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 5x -> T/E -> T5
    512mb card (PNY), Palm WiFi

Mobile Enthusiast

Brush,
    From memory, that date indicates you have the first update.
    Even if you didn't have it, I believe the latest update includes the Nov 2004 update.

BTW
    Can anyone think of why I shouldn't try the update off the American website if I am in Australia and the update is not on the Australian site?

Centro Newbie...

Default Make sure you charge your battery...

Man, I learned the hard way that whenever there's a ROM update, one should make sure that whatever unit you have should have enough juice in it.

I attempted to update my T5 to 1.1 at work using my laptop this morning. Like an enthusiastic toddler on-a-wing-and-a-prayer, I attempted to install 1.1 using what remaining power was left (~3.90v). I ignored the warnings and during the install I received a message on the T5 screen to plug it in. It would not proceed any further. I was pretty screwed since I left my charger at home and for some reason, it froze the screen, too.

After returning home and sticking it in the charger, I did a hard reset and started over. I restored from backup and it's working great! The final tune-up is to install Graffitti 1 and it'll be good to go.

From what I've see so far, it does work a tadbit faster and hasn't crashed, yet, yea!

Thank you pa1mOne for the update. It was better late than never...

UPDATE:
    Graffiti 1 is now installed and all seems well. No resets, either!! Woohoo!!!
    Just like the old American Express saying, I "never leave home without it."

http://mytungstent5.blogspot.com

Palm III>Handspring Visor>Visor Platinum>Tungsten T>Tungsten T5>Verizon Centro

Still a moderator ...

Default Re: Make sure you charge your battery...

Originally posted by dhyamato
    Man, I learned the hard way that whenever there's a ROM update, one should make sure that whatever unit you have should have enough juice in it.
    Well, FWIW, the requirements DO state very clearly you should start fully charged ... fourth bullet ...

System Requirements
    • Tungsten T5 handheld
    • Windows? 2000/XP or Mac OS? 10.2.6 to 10.3.x
    • HotSync? Manager 6.0.1 or greater (Windows), or 3.2.1 (Mac).
    • Tungsten T5 battery fully charged.
    • At least 16.7MB/16,700KB free memory
    • Must be installing the update on a computer with which the Tungsten T5 handheld is synchronized
    • Must synchronize with your current user name.
    Digital since 1980, handheld since 2001
    M105 (retired but still working), T|E (sold)
    T3 + ADAPT BT GPS + Viamichelin 3.2 + Palm WiFi card
    Treo 500v with WM6.1 and Treo 680 in the drawer
    Desire S - rooted -Virtuous Quattro beta 5 - Ice Cream Sandwich
    Acer Iconia A500 Tablet - rooted - Thor A500 ROM v14.2 - Honeycomb 3.2.1

Having a rather busy schedule at work, so I am not around that much lately.

Mobile Evangelist

Default Re: Make sure you charge your battery...

Originally posted by dhyamato

After returning home and sticking it in the charger, I did a hard reset and started over. I restored from backup and it's working great! The final tune-up is to install Graffitti 1 and it'll be good to go.

Wait, so there IS a G1 option for t5 users?
    Visor --> Visor Neo --> Zire 71 --> Tungsten T3 (with 4 GOLDEN screws) + Zodiac 2 + Tungsten X

"Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake? Anyone can make an error, but that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it."
    Points lazily.... followed by sickening screams, "The error has been corrected"
    -Grand Admiral Thrawn

Psychologist

Default re G1, anybody sucessfully reinstalled after ROM update?

Dear ackmondual,

Yes, G1 works great on my T5. I would like to see a confirmation from someone who has done the ROM update that G1 will reinstall. Do a search for G1 in this forum and you will find the necessary files which are a breeze to install. They must, however be reinstalled if there is a hard reset.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 5x -> T/E -> T5
    512mb card (PNY), Palm WiFi

Mobile Enthusiast

I did the update yesterday and my G1 files restored as part of the restore of all my data. It continues to work just fine. Good luck.

A.