Constant recalibration - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Wink Don't try this at home!

Ok- Here's one for you. I too had severe digitizer problems- had to recalibrate every 20-30 minutes in use. Bought my TT last year and the problem appeared a couple of months ago and has gotten worse. It seemed to get worse when I opened and closed the slider. I installed the patch- no effect or it made it worse. Then thought it was a software issue. I did a hard reset, did not install the patch or any 3rd party software except ZLauncher. The problem reappeared. So I did what any real man would do- I took the TT totally apart!
    I discovered that some of the internal contacts were slightly tarnished (oxidized?) I cleaned them with an ink eraser. I also unplugged the internal battery from the TT while I was working on the TT. Lastly, I discovered a small (approx 3x4 mm) black pad that was stuck on the back and inside of the slider. It's use to me was unknown, so I did what any real man would do- I left it out!
    I reassembled my TT. The problem is totally gone!! My slider seems to open and close a lot easier. I don't know if the black pad is used for friction or what. I installed most of my previous apps and still no problem! I gave my TT a workout- open and closed the slider, opened and closed various apps- still no problem.

This brings me to several questions as to what the problem was.

A) The internal contacts were oxidized and this caused the digitizer problem. This would seem to make sense, since the problem developed over time.

B) By unplugging the internal battery, the TT lost all power and
    some unknown program/virus was lost. Ok, I'm reaching for that one!

C)The mysterious black pad was the culprit. This could make sense, since opening and closing the slider seemed to make the digitizer worse.

I have not installed the latest TT update. I want the sound patch but not sure if I want the digitizer patch.

I would appreciate any feedback on this one.

Mobile Enthusiast

Ericrph - very interesting findings. I give you credit for having the nerve to take your Palm apart. I seriously doubt the virus theory and the oxidation is questionable too. However, I can not argue with your results. I am glad to see that you Palm is running more reliably after your surgery.

I have been running with minimal 3rd party app for 2 days and have not had to recalibrate once. So I am leaning towards the "bad 3rd party software" theory. I moved a lot of SW over from my Palm IIIc to my TT.

I tried opening and closing the slider to see if I could force the screen out of calibration, but no luck there.

I wish there was a definitive solution to this problem. It certainly is helpful to discuss the issue in this forum. Collectively we should be able to come to a reasonable conclusion.

regards,
    Scott

Default Void Warranty?

Ericrph, were there any stickers that said if they were removed the warranty would be voided?

I'm having the same problem but it seems to coincide with installing the new TT updater. I haven't tried uninstalling the updater but i am about to. Has anyone been able to ruled out any 3rd party apps that could be causing the problem?

Mobile Consultant

Originally posted by tigerwolf
    My 3xe is absolutly NOT caused by applications. That's a cop out, and I bet it is on the Tungsten T also. Besides, why don't OTHER brands of PalmOS PDAs have this problem, if it were really caused by software?

Hard resets seem to improve my 3xe SLIGHTLY for a few days, but it makes no difference whatsoever what software is or isn't on there.
    OK well that's how it is with *your* Palm. I think I described pretty clearly why I believed that on *my* IIIxe the drift problem was caused by errant software. Your mileage may vary, so take it easy with the "cop out" accusations. I was simply relating *my own* experience.

It is certainly not impossible that someone else might have the same experience I did. I made my comments in good faith and I resent any other implication.

I assume that when you say that hard reset improved the situation for a few days, you're talking about not reinstalling any applications for those few days?

As far as why other brands of PDAs don't have digitizer drift problems, try using any search engine and search on the terms "digitizer pda brand" where pda brand is any other model of PDA. If you find a model that doesn't return any results, report back. I've seen reports of Handsprings, Treos, Clios, every kind of Palm, Newtons, iPaqs... and I haven't even tried hard.

I have no doubt that there can be either software or hardware causes for digitizer problems. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help, but I really only have my own experiences to go by.
    The Compulsive Splicer
    MP130 - Nino 312 - Palm IIIxe - MP2100 - IIIxe again - Tungsten|T - iPAQ H5550 - Tungsten|T3 - Treo 680 (Copper) - Nokia e61i - iPhone 3G - iPhone - iPhone 3GS. Devices currently in service: iPad, Palm Pre Plus.
    http://splicer.com/

Mobile Evangelist

Originally posted by jaywest
    I'm having the same problem but it seems to coincide with installing the new TT updater. I haven't tried uninstalling the updater but i am about to. Has anyone been able to ruled out any 3rd party apps that could be causing the problem?
    I've been having the digitizer drift problem for the past few days, out of the blue, and I have NOT installed the new update from Palm. I did install the two seperate patches (audio and digitizer) a few months ago.
    I don't think it's related to the new patch, and I don't think anyone has isolated an offending application yet....

Mobile Enthusiast

Default 21 Suspects

I did a folder compare of my currently installed apps and the apps that were installed when I was having calibration problems.

Eliminating all the data files and applications that others would not have I am left with the following list of suspects which could be causing the recalibration problem. I have been running without these apps for 3 days and have not needed to recalibrate.

amped.PRC
    AvantGo.PRC
    Bejeweled!.PRC
    FineTypeManager.PRC
    Graffiti_Anywhere.PRC
    Graffiti_ShortCuts_.PRC
    Keyboard_Hack_II.PRC
    Launcher_X.PRC
    LXBrowser.PRC
    MobileDB.PRC
    MobileLink.PRC
    MoHiSp1Lib.PRC
    MoHiSp1Lib_.PRC
    MoreFont.PRC
    PalmPatch.PRC
    PN_Cache_Library.PRC
    PN_Display_Library.PRC
    PocketLink.PRC
    ProxiWeb_Comm_Library.PRC
    ScptPlugin.PRC
    Sonic_Hedgehog_h.PRC

ps: I used the following app to compare the folders http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/59383.html

Default Update on my situation.

I have installed all of my previous apps including the big TT update file. I am pleased to report that my digitizer problem has completely disappeared!

Mobile Enthusiast

Did you reinstall the applications or just copy the to install from a backup folder? Do you believe it was a hardware problem ?

Mobile Deity

This is a curse. I've never had a digitizer problem before. I read this thread yesterday and was counting my blessings that I hadn't incurred the problem. Well, that was a curse, because today it showed up. It seems like it only affects the right hand side of my screen, e.g. can't use the slider. I've recalibrated already 3 times today! Such a pain, such a pain.