Do you lose your info, data if the battery dies?

Closed Thread
    Mr. Bluetooth

Default Do you lose your info, data if the battery dies?

Researching a tungsten 'e' for my boss.

Will the data be lost if the battery reaches 0% or very low battery?
    Larry

Tungsten T; Moto V600; Moto HS810; Belkin F8T001 Dongle

Mobile Enthusiast

When the battery goes below 10% or so, it automatically turns itself off. It's supposed to hold the information for a week or two after that, but I've not actually tested that.

Mobile Enthusiast

My understanding is if the battery goes completely dead you will lose all data and applications that you installed. It is the same as a hard reset. But it is really not such a catastrophe as all this info is backed up on your PC each time you do a HotSync. There are also ways to back up your data to a SD expansion card.

Palms and Pocket PCs are beginning to show up with backup batteries installed. My iPAQ 1940 has a rechargable Lithium Ion main battery and a rechargable NiMh backup battery.

Mobile Deity

After the battery is low enough not to turn the unit on any more, you should still have 4-5 days before the voltage is too low to power the RAM. As long as your boss HotSyncs regularly (say once a day), he should be fine.

Palm Pilot

If you (or your boss) have critical data on the Palm, then you absolutely must get an SD card and a backup program. I use BackupMan, and have it set to automatically back up my Palm to the SD card early every morning, keeping 3 automatic backups on the card just in case. Thus if the battery dies, or I get a hard reset, or I just need to replace something, I can have everything restored immediately, with no need to be at the PC where I did my hotsync. I have almost all my apps running from the card, and most of my data saved there, so battery failures aren't really of that much concern. I can pop my SD card into another Palm and have everything restored within a minute or so. You still want to hotsync daily, and keep copies of that. I also periodically back up my SD card to my hard drive using a card reader, just in case the card gets lost or destroyed.
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

Mr. Bluetooth

Thanks all.
    Larry

Tungsten T; Moto V600; Moto HS810; Belkin F8T001 Dongle