Touchscreen won't calibrate

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Touchscreen won't calibrate

My E2 touchscreen is calibrated such that I have to touch below the actual spot that I am aiming for. In particular, the drop-down menu button will only work if the screen is pressed below the button; otherwise it registers that I pushed the home button. I have tried recalibrating the touchscreen on the prefs screen; it goes through multiple iterations of the "target" process and then is as off as it was before. I have also tried soft and hard resets.

Mobile Enthusiast

Default Re: Touchscreen won't calibrate

My only suggestion would be to recalibrate the screen, once more, VERY accurately, and then try.

If that doesn't do it, I'd return it. I'd go crazy if that was my device.
    Palm Tungsten E|2
    Palm OS 5.4
    Wifi Card
    Sandisk 512mb SD card

Ooh NO, missus...

Welcome to Brighthand, Mendeleev. There are other freeware calibration solutions you can use - try DigiE

I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, Mendeleev. How have you got on?
    Brain -> Casio -> Sharp -> Filofax -> Palm Pilot -> Palm Professional -> Palm IIIc -> iPAQ 4660 (oops) -> TT3 + T610 + NavMan -> TT5 + SE K700i + NavMan -> TT5 + 2Gb SD card + SE K810i + universal PDA thumb board + external mike + TomTom ONE + BlackBerry 8800

Winner of the Brighthand Palm 5th Anniversary Contest
    NOT

Mobile Consultant

Hi and welcome to the board. I found this link regarding calibration in the Palm, Inc. Support Library:

Solution ID: 24443
    Calibrating your touchscreen (digitizer)
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...m_External2001

It suggests way to improve your digitizer as well as reasons why your device may not calibrate precisely.

Also, don't forget to register your device:

https://www.onlineregister.com/palm/...nited%20States

Good luck,

Heather
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Heather Cullen
    heather.cullen@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mobile Evangelist

I've had the same problem for quite a few years now... I have to tap hundreds of times to calibrate, that's why I fear hard resets more than anything else. I've learned to live with the slightly inaccurate digitizer and use the buttons for navigating whenever possible but I think they're getting worn out too. Time to get an E2...

Luke

same problem here, though recently it has gotten so out of whack than i cannot get to the home screen. i started to tap the target recalibration icons, but it seemed i was doing it many, many times so i gave up, assuming that it was broke. do you think it is broken, or does it really take hundreds of target-taps sometimes to recalibrate the system? thanks.

t

Palm Explorer

Check out my Palm blog for digitizer software fixes and ideas that may help.

Welcome to Brighthand, Mendeleev and tuvia.
    Zire 71->Treo 650->Treo 750->Palm T3->Nokia E71->iPod Touch 8GB 3rd Gen->iPod Touch 64GB 4th Gen->HTC Nexus One
    Hey, Brighthanders! Are you on the map yet? Fellow Brighthanders featured in Palm Discovery's Explorer Profile. Wanna be next? Add yourself by sending me a PM since this thread has now been closed. Zire 71 internal cable fix. Digitizer fixes Palm resets with video T/T2/T3/Treo screws

Mobile Enthusiast

I'm starting to have the same problem with my T|E2 and I've only had it for a few weeks. It's frustrating me - I've tried the apps to help fix the drift, hard resets, etc but it didn't work and I just checked my receipt. Circuit City only accepts PDAs after 14 days and I'm almost 3 weeks out so I guess my next step is to contact Palm.
    Palm m130 >>> Palm Zire 71 >>> Palm Tungsten E2 >>> Motorola Q >>> Palm Pre

Mobile Enthusiast

I retired my m100 because of this problem. Yes, there were fixes and cleaver ways to get the thing to calibrate but as other have indicated, you loose confidence in the device as a reliable business tool.

When I got my E2 I was confident enough to investigate the problem with my m100 further.

Removing, cleaning and ensuring the digitizer cable was seated in it's connector properly fixed it and now it's as reliable as the day I got it again.