How to install Palm Desktop/Hotsync Manager?

Closed Thread
    Mobile Enthusiast

Default How to install Palm Desktop/Hotsync Manager?

How do I install these on my WinXP Pro system where I have defined multiple users? Two of the users on the system each have a T|C, so need to hotsync information independently through their own WinXP userid's. I've tried installing the Palm software in each user's userid, but this seems to cause conflicts with the hotsync manager and nothing works. I can't install a single copy of the software as it is only visible under the userid for which it was installed.

I'm stuck... any ideas?

Brain stuck BogoMipping

Make sure all users to whom you intend to install PalmDesktop are configured as Administrators (in control panel). Otherwise, PalmDesktop won't install properly. If you need to remove the administrator rights, you can safely do so after installing PD.
    I've tried installing the Palm software in each user's userid, but this seems to cause conflicts with the hotsync manager and nothing works.
    This sounds as if you are swapping between users. PalmDesktop does not support quick change of users, you should log off from every other user account before trying to install on your account.
    I can't install a single copy of the software as it is only visible under the userid for which it was installed.
    Given this, I suggest you completely uninstall PD before going any further. Before uninstalling, be sure to backup the hotsync folders in C:/program files/palm (or palmone)/username folder, so you can rebuild things as they were before. After uninstalling, give each user administrative rights and install PD.
    Hope this helps.
    raspabalsa
    Palm Vx -> Palm m515 -> Palm Tungsten T1 -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm TX -> Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 + Apple BT Keyboard -> Sony Xperia Z1 + Logitech BT Keyboard

There are just four simple machines to alter force: the lever, the pulley, the inclined plane and, um, the internal combustion engine - Calvin
    Anything with a large enough engine will fly

Mobile Enthusiast

So if I understand you correctly, I need to install PD separately in each userid that needs access to it, and each userid needs to have admin priveleges during the install.

Interestingly, this is what I had done, but I guess PD doesn't handle 2 instances of the hotsync manager very gracefully (in fact, when you try a hotsync, it will take down WinXP Pro and cause a reboot of the system).

I guess the next step is to ensure that hotsync manager is running on only one userid at a time (no automatic startup when a user logs in) and see if that works.

Thanks,

Adrien

Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, PalmDesktop must be installed under every user, otherwise, you won't be able to sync via usb. This requirement is not exclusive to PalmDesktop, as many newer programs require the same, even Microsoft Office has to run an installer for every user. The difference is that, while MS Office and others do this automatically, you must do this installation manually for PalmDesktop.
    Check the Palm Knowledge Library , search for solution ID 30421 "Palm Desktop installation notes for Windows XP users", that solution describes the recommended installation procedure under XP when multiple user accounts are used.
    As for the hotsync manager, if the installation is properly done you will not have conflicts with this. Remember that since PD does not support fast user switching, you will have to log out from any other accounts before attempting a hotsync, so you will always have just one instance of hotsync manager running on your system. At work there's this PC with 3 user accounts, and they all sync their Treos without problem, and yes, the hotsync manager is set to startup automatically on logon.
    Despite what Palm's solution 30421 says:

Install the Palm Desktop software to a different location for each user (e.g. C:\Program Files\palmOne\JeffHawkins, C:\Program Files\palmOne\DonnaDubinsky, etc.). This is especially useful when users synchronize to different desktop applications. For example, one user can synchronize to Palm Desktop, while another user can choose to synchronize to Microsoft Outlook.
    This is not a strict requirement if you are syncing contacts and calendars ONLY to PalmDesktop. That's the case of the PC I mention above, all users sync to PD, none uses Outlook or any other programs, and PalmDesktop is installed on the same C:/program files/palmone folder.
    raspabalsa
    Palm Vx -> Palm m515 -> Palm Tungsten T1 -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm TX -> Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 + Apple BT Keyboard -> Sony Xperia Z1 + Logitech BT Keyboard

There are just four simple machines to alter force: the lever, the pulley, the inclined plane and, um, the internal combustion engine - Calvin
    Anything with a large enough engine will fly