Palm Tungsten C vs. Tungsten T3 Opinions Welcome

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mobile Enthusiast

Default Palm Tungsten C vs. Tungsten T3 Opinions Welcome

Hi.

I'm considering purchasing a new palm - one with color, more memory and that is wireless. What is your favorite thing about the C? Do you find the keyboard helpful? What is your opinion of the wirless 802.1 vs. the Bluetooth. Is wireless bluetooth widely available?

Any opinion helps!
    Thanks
    bn
    I should be working.

Me amd my husband: Palm 500 > Tungsten E
    Trying to sell my m500s to my brother in law and my sister. Bought my other sister a zire. Would I really pass along crappy products to family?

CEB
    Mobile Deity

Tungsten C, without a doubt.

Seriously though, TC for me. I've never been able to get on with graffiti. Thumboard is very easy to use with a little practice, and not much slower than a full size keyboard.

WiFi is only useful if you have a WiFi router, or can surf at a public WiFi hotspot (via subscription). I have a router, and I can connect to the internet or pick up emails anywhere in my house (which is small by American standards). Another thing I like is the ability to hotsync with my laptop (or PC) wirelessly via WiFi. I have a WiFi card in my laptop, but no Bluetooth.

My usual mobile phone doesn't have Bluetooth, nor my laptop, so it was a no-brainer for me.

WiFi has a greater range than Bluetooth. I don't think there are public Bluetooth hotspots.

Hope this helps.

Colin.
    Twitter me - www.BowenRacing.com

PDA history: Psion 3c, Psion Revo Plus, Palm TC, T-Mobile MDA Vario III (AKA the Tilt)

member indeed

Originally posted by CEB
    Tungsten C, without a doubt.
    ROFL (You know what I mean!)
    z e n t r o
    Palm Pilot Pro > V > Ericsson r380s > T|C > SE P800 > Z 21 > T|C

WAYF: Free customisable bookmark tool for your web-enabled Palm.

Get your tools out, Gumbo.

CEB
    Mobile Deity

Had to be done!

I took the link out of the TT thread, will the TT'ers notice?

Good question, by the way NuttHouse. I don't know much about the T3, so it will be interesting to see the comparisons. What's the difference in price?

Colin.

PDA history: Psion 3c, Psion Revo Plus, Palm TC, T-Mobile MDA Vario III (AKA the Tilt)

Mobile Enthusiast

There's no actual difference in price unless you start buying open box ones. They each have their pros and cons. T3 will go to a wide view with the stretch which I imagine would be nice for excel spreadsheet (which I use infrequently).

I just love this technology far to much. I'll be sad to eventually part with my m500. Its such a solid handheld.
    I should be working.

Trying to sell my m500s to my brother in law and my sister. Bought my other sister a zire. Would I really pass along crappy products to family?

Mobile Enthusiast

If you have the m500, and don't have a preference between wifi/bluetooth, you probably want the T|C. The big advantage the C has over the T3 (and the thing it's similar to the m500 relative to its peers in) is battery life. The keyboard is great. I didn't expect to use it, but now I don't use grafiti. Sound is just mono so if you want to listen to mp3's that's one point for the T3.

Mobile Consultant

Default T3..but...

I believe the T3 beats the TC in everything except the Wifi.

For the op, Internet connection isn't a WiFi vs Bluetooth thing. Bluetooth is designed for talking with other really nearby devices (like a phone or gps), not for connecting to internet hot spots or access points, this is what WIFI is for. If you have a bluetooth enabled phone and are paying the extra for internet access, then it might be useful..otherwise........

The TC keyboard I thought would be more useful than it really is. The T3's viewable keyboard on screen, is just almost as easy to input and can be viewed in the dark (unlike the T|C).

IMHO Palm has goofed in not coming out with a T3 type with Wifi yet.....a widescreen and built-in Wifi would be the best of both worlds for me.

Mobile Consultant

Default Re: T3..but...

Originally posted by StuBee
    I believe the T3 beats the TC in everything except the Wifi.

For the op, Internet connection isn't a WiFi vs Bluetooth thing. Bluetooth is designed for talking with other really nearby devices (like a phone or gps), not for connecting to internet hot spots or access points, this is what WIFI is for. If you have a bluetooth enabled phone and are paying the extra for internet access, then it might be useful..otherwise........

The TC keyboard I thought would be more useful than it really is. The T3's viewable keyboard on screen, is just almost as easy to input and can be viewed in the dark (unlike the T|C).

IMHO Palm has goofed in not coming out with a T3 type with Wifi yet.....a widescreen and built-in Wifi would be the best of both worlds for me.
    mmmm... You are missing some important points for the TC...
    What about battery life? The TC's battery is much bigger than the T3's. Don't overlook the keyboard... actually it's pretty useful... (i've written several posts here with my TC). Some time ago there was a competition to show who writes faster on his pda... The winner used a treo (with a keyboard that's almost identical to the TC's). The second place was won by another built in keyboard and the third place was won by a guy who used an special kind of on-screen keyboard (fitaly). The ones who used normal (qwerty) on screen keyboards where the last ones in the competition... even graffiti did better. Bluetooth for the TC might come very soon. Remember that there's a bluetooth sd card that already works on palm's... The only problem is that therte's no os5 driver. The lack of wi-fi on the T3 is another problem. The T3 has some hardware issues that make wi-fi something very difficult, and that's why wifi on the T3 has been delayed so much (it should've come last year)... Wifi for T3 requires a new hardware and driver (that are almost ready), bluetooth for the TC only requires a new driver, and that driver would probably work on all palm pdas at once.

CEB
    Mobile Deity

Well TheNutthouse, which Tungsten is winning your vote so far?

Mobile Enthusiast

Question

Well...everyone has had really great opinions. Very insightful.

I'm hung up on a couple of things

Tungsten T - bluetooth isn't as feasible. We have a wireless network at home and my husband and I live on a college campus (he's a working professional and we just get a nice apartment there) So the Wi-Fi is a litel better for me. But the T has the mp3 function which is a plus too.

Tungsten C - No mp3 fun. Battery life is nice, Wi-Fi is awesome, still not 100% sure on the keyboard.

Maybe I'll wait till Christmas and see if something new comes out. But that doesn't make me want one any less right now.

But man I love Palm.
    I should be working.