Need a new web browser - any suggestions?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CEB
    Mobile Deity

Default Need a new web browser - any suggestions?

Hi Folks,

I'm so far out of touch nowadays. I just searched but can't find anything that's still available. I want a new web browser for my TC; McDonalds have just started offering free WiFi ('bout time too), and I have an account for PAYG WiFi with T-Mobile. The trouble is, poor ol' 'Web Brower' can't render the log-in pages properly (the user name and PW boxes are off the page and I can't scroll that far), and it can't handle pop-ups which is a problem.

Is there a free, or very cheap, browser that I can download? I don't want to spend too much because that money could be put towards a new device (maybe a Blackberry).

Ta very much.
    Twitter me - www.BowenRacing.com

PDA history: Psion 3c, Psion Revo Plus, Palm TC, T-Mobile MDA Vario III (AKA the Tilt)

Mobile Deity

Default Re: Need a new web browser - any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm so far out of touch nowadays. I just searched but can't find anything that's still available. I want a new web browser for my TC; McDonalds have just started offering free WiFi ('bout time too), and I have an account for PAYG WiFi with T-Mobile. The trouble is, poor ol' 'Web Brower' can't render the log-in pages properly (the user name and PW boxes are off the page and I can't scroll that far), and it can't handle pop-ups which is a problem.

Is there a free, or very cheap, browser that I can download? I don't want to spend too much because that money could be put towards a new device (maybe a Blackberry).

Ta very much.
    Not a lot of choices. I've looked at the following:

Novarra nWeb: A "native" version exists for my device. Novarra is a B2B outfit that normallt supplies embeded solutions to manufacturers. Novarra used to sell single copies over the web, but that page seems missing, so I don't know if they still do. It works fairly well, but has a weird delay on startup. That seems to be part and parcel of the Novarra engine, and affects a couple of other products based on it. It costs about $35 if available.

Mobirus Xiino: This one also ran on my device, and could use the full 320x480 screen. The web site seems to have disappeared, so I don't know it it's even still available. (I get an Apache default page when I go there.) This cost about $30 when it was offered.

Access NetFront: There's a version of this ripped from a Clie floating around. It runs fine here, but requires Dmitry Grinberg's UDMH to increase the available dynamic heap. It also requires CodeDiver to get it to use the full 320x480 screen on my device. Free, but you may need a shareware app or two to use it.

Opera Mini: A Java applet that requires Palm's IBM Java Virtual Machine to run. It works well enough, but has quirks on my device because I can't run the most recent JVM. The one currently offered from Palm won't run. I have an older version that does, but some things in Opera Mini don't work as desired, like I can't get it to use the full screen. (USing the full 320x480 screen apparently works fine on the TX with a current JVM.) It's also sluggish on my 200mhz device, but probably [peppier on faster devices like a TX. And because it's intended for smartphone, it does not follow the Palm UI guidelines, and won't look like anything else on a Palm device.

Picsel Browser: This was bundled on some Sony Clie models, and a ripped version is floating around. Picsel later offered it for sale over their website, but that page, too, seems to have disappeared. Picsel Technologies normally works with manufacturers to provide embedded solutions, and may have decided sales to consumers was more trouble than it was worth. It runs here, and can view and enormous amount of things, including PDFs and JPGs as well as websites, but the interface bears no relation to anything else on a Palm device and there's a learning curve. Like NetFront, it also required a little help from a couple of shareware apps to run as expected.

Browsers on Palm OS are quirky even if you can find an alternative. JavaScript support is spotty, and CSS support seems largely non existent. Your best bet now it to try Opera Mini, and failing that, look for the patched NetFront distribution.
    ______
    Dennis
    Tapwave Zodiac 2, 2 2GB SD cards, SanDisk 256MB+Wifi SD card, PalmOne Universal Wireless keyboard, BigClock, Documents to Go, KsDatebook, KsTodo, LionDoc, MoePaint, nWeb, PalmFiction, PalmPDF, Plucker, PsMemo, TCPMP, WordSmith, much more...

Brighthand Reviewer

I don't think Opera Mini will work, as it filters all its pages through a proxy server. Therefore, unless it has internet access before it needs to load anything, no dice.

That's all folks...

There is also Universe Browser. But that is undergoing a re-writing, and has been missing so long that I'm starting to think it will never show up.

www.wapuniverse.com
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

CEB
    Mobile Deity

I'm sorry for not replying sooner, been very busy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like the options are not great, but as soon as I find time, I'll look into them.

Thanks again.
    Twitter me - www.BowenRacing.com

PDA history: Psion 3c, Psion Revo Plus, Palm TC, T-Mobile MDA Vario III (AKA the Tilt)

Mobile Enthusiast

There is PLENTY of good choices for the TC. I use web pro 3.5- which is way better than the default web browser v2. This browser has better rendering and more options. Another great browser is xinno v3.4.1E- this browser really offer outstanding web surfing. It is fast and pages load up quickly. And finally, Opera mini v.2 also works good with the TC. I use all three and recommend them. Also get netchaser, to reset any bad wifi connection.

Still a moderator ...

For usage on TC, another vote for Xiino here. Still use it on my T3.
    Digital since 1980, handheld since 2001
    M105 (retired but still working), T|E (sold)
    T3 + ADAPT BT GPS + Viamichelin 3.2 + Palm WiFi card
    Treo 500v with WM6.1 and Treo 680 in the drawer
    Desire S - rooted -Virtuous Quattro beta 5 - Ice Cream Sandwich
    Acer Iconia A500 Tablet - rooted - Thor A500 ROM v14.2 - Honeycomb 3.2.1

Having a rather busy schedule at work, so I am not around that much lately.

Flying Dog (...duh...)

I'm still using Palm WebPro v3.5 (came with the "Palm Business Suite for the T|C" CD) for over 1.5 years now. I rarely encounter a web page that it can't handle (well, handle about as well as one can expect from a "pocket" browser). I use my T|C and WebPro v3.5 all the time wherever I can find free Wi-Fi access (practically daily). I don't really know what else is out there because I haven't felt the need to look.
    Samsung GALAXY Note II
    Samsung GALAXY Note10.1 2014 Edition
    Samsung GALAXY S III (x3)

acer Iconia A500
    nookcolor (x4)
    nook Tablet

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by montecristo1 View Post
    Another great browser is xinno v3.4.1E- this browser really offer outstanding web surfing. It is fast and pages load up quickly.
    Unfortunately, it seems to have disappeared. The homepage no longer exists, and while you can probably find a copy in one or another repository, you can't register the software.
    ______
    Dennis
    Tapwave Zodiac 2, 2 2GB SD cards, SanDisk 256MB+Wifi SD card, PalmOne Universal Wireless keyboard, BigClock, Documents to Go, KsDatebook, KsTodo, LionDoc, MoePaint, nWeb, PalmFiction, PalmPDF, Plucker, PsMemo, TCPMP, WordSmith, much more...

Mobile Enthusiast

I am using Opera mini 4 and am extremely pleased with it -- no problems at all.