ZTE To Bring WP7-Based Tania To U.S. Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Grant Hatchimonji, May 10, 2012.

1. Grant Hatchimonji

Grant Hatchimonji Brighthand Site Editor

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The 4 GB of storage is a deal-breaker. In my opinion WP7's "killer app" is the Zune subscription-based music service. I've got dozens of albums I've never purchased on a per-album basis downloaded to my phone for offline play while walking the dog or driving my car (you can do this with an unlimited number of albums so long as you keep up with the $9.99/month or $99/year subscription). 16 gb is good for this purpose (more would be better, but I can live with 16). 8 gb is pushing it. 4 gb is laughable.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I think ZTE is aiming at the "free" market: those who want a handset with no money down when they sign up for a two-year contract. In order to get this, this group has to expect (and generally does expect) to get a device with minimal features. From what I can tell, typically they get a phone with a 2GB memory card that they never upgrade.
    -

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

You can get a lot better for free or nearly free though. A Lumia 710 is $39 with a contract from T-Mobile. The Samsung Focus Flash is $0.99 with a two-year contract from AT&T (though it looks like AT&T is currently out of stock). The LTE-equipped Samsung Focus 2 is going to be $49. All three have 8 GB internal memory and much better brand reputations. And the HTC Arrive is $49 from Sprint, and has 16 gb storage and a superb physical keyboard. And for a while Verizon was giving away the HTC Trophy (16 gb storage as well) for $29 if you bought online.

Compared to the cost of two years of data, $29-$49 up front isn't that big of a difference in price, yet you can get far superior phones to this ZTE phone for that price.

5. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I keep meaning to write an editorial trying to convince people to pay more up-front for their smartphones. But it's a tough issue, and we could be tilting at windmills. There are some who will only consider free phones, thinking they are always the best deal. As you say they are not, but some people refuse to believe that. Which is why handset makers like ZTE set out to develop products that can be sold with no money down.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Totally true. The difference between a $0 phone and a $49 phone sounds like a lot of money at first glance. But over two years, assuming your plan costs $75/month, the difference in price is less than 3%. And you notice the difference in quality each time you use the phone. And I think we all know a Samsung Focus 2 or a Nokia Lumia 710 is going to be a LOT more than 3% nicer to live with than a ZTE Tania.

7. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I think this is the real reason for more cheap phones:
    Largest carriers lost combined 52,000 postpaid subs in Q1 - FierceWireless
    Verizon doesn't seem ready to admit it yet, but I think postpaid has hit the wall. Those subscribers will always include people who will take the "free phone" but I think the anticipated growth is people having to buy their new phones outright for prepaid. I do hope, however, that higher-spec phones will always be on offer for those willing to pay extra. In the end, this might mean only the iPhone.