Zire 71 FAQ

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ignavia, Sep 10, 2003.

1. shanezam203

shanezam203 Mobile Enthusiast

is there any way to sync my zire 71 with my email messages on outlook? I'm not looking to send and receive messages, just be able to read old messages on the go. Is there any way the zire 7 can do something like that? Thanks, Shane

2. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

NOTE. I will periodically update and edit these posts with new stuff rather than make another posting.
    LATEST EDIT: Sept 10 2005

Originally posted by maceyr on 09-20-2004 10:15 AM
    Download and try Digifix , or DigiE, or ReDigi , or Z-Digitizer , or Digi, or Digitest, or DigiFix , or AutoDigi5 a commercialware can be downloaded from Palmgear.
    Check out VersaMail You may have the software in your Palm install CD or Essentials CD so search through your CD before you buy it. And check out this PalmOne page on the various other email retrieval apps available and what's supported: link

==========

FAQ Q & A continued

Here are the main topic titles discussed in this posting:

XII - RUNNING APPS OFF THE MEMORY/EXPANSION CARD
    XIII - WEBCAM, VIDEO RECORDING
    XIV - DVD AND AVI VIDEO ON PALM
    XV - MP3S AND PLAYERS
    XVI - INTERNET, WIRELESS SURFING, BROWSERS
    XVII - EMAIL AND OUTLOOK
    XVIII - GPS
    XIX - BATTERY
    XX - REMOTE CONTROL OF PALM VIA COMPUTER
    XXI - SOFTWARE SUGGESTIONS
    XXII - PALM KEYBOARDS
    XXIII - MISC

XII - RUNNING APPS OFF THE MEMORY/EXPANSION CARD

Q: How do I run apps off the memory card?

A: There are various software and ways to do so. The easiest is to install or move your apps to the expansion card and see if you can run the program off the expansion card but doing so, many apps will load some files in RAM so you still take up some valuable RAM storage space. PowerRun is a popular app that will allow you to run apps from the SD card, loading it in RAM when it's running and deleting it from RAM when you exit. Many 3rd party Launcher programs like LauncherX, Z Launcher, SilverScreen, etc also have the ability to move apps to the card and run them off the card. There's also a freeware called MSMount5 (for OS5) (MSMount for older OS) that will trick your Palm into thinking the database files are in RAM when they're on the card. Check these postings: here. And the translated page on MSMount5 here Also, check the FAQ posting on this topic here

++++++++

XIII - WEBCAM, VIDEO RECORDING

Q: Can I use the Zire 71 as a webcam? What about video recording?

A: The answer to the webcam question has long been No, but it's now a YES!

Now, you can truly use your Palm Zire 71 as a webcam with Palm Webcam 1.0. You can view and stream video from your Zire 71 camera to your computer and via the internet, just like a regular webcam.

As well, you can use your Zire 71 as a video recorder. Use the Zire Movie Maker to capture video when you're travelling and the Palm Webcam when you're connected to the cradle. But it seems the developer is having problems with the domain and redirection so you can download it from Handango

More details on using it check out this posting

EDIT. With the current Zire Movie Maker, you'll need a different software to convert the zmc files to avi format in Windows. It's called JMViewer.

The only thing missing is the audio recording, via the SDIO slot. Wonder why no one has made this since iBiz has made their SDIO FM radio.

The other option is to get Fun Cam, which acts as a time lapsed camera which snaps pictures at a predetermined time, for a specific duration and within a specified time between photo capture. In the days before Zire Movie Maker and Palm Webcam, this was the only option.

++++++++

XIV - DVD AND AVI VIDEO ON PALM

Q: Is there a way to convert a DVD movie so that I can view them on my Zire 71?

A: Yes. There are a few ways. You have to either rip a DVD or convert an existing avi file that can be playable on a Palm. And then, use a media player like MMplayer to play it on the Palm. There's now a new video player called The Core Pocket Media Player(TCPMP). It's created by the developer of BetaPlayer for Pocket PCs and runs much faster and smoother than MMPlayer. Actually, in my view, it's much better than MMPlayer. Best of all, it's FREE. Check out this posting by junglemike for more details.

1 - Use Kinoma Producer and convert avi movies into a file that Kinoma Player can play on your Palm.

2 - Buy Pocket DVD Studio for Palm. But, at $32.00 USD, it can be a bit expensive. But it's simple to use. Just put in your DVD and it rips and encodes for you. Also, beware that apparently, the developer doesn't seem to provide much support of the software and doesn't really answer emails. So, download the trial and make sure it works for you before paying for it.

3 - Buy Pocket DVD3/DVD Catalyst (different company and app). At $11.95, no, it's now $17.95 it's still cheaper compared to #2. Try this and see if it works.

4 - Try Pocket DVD Wizard. At 28.95, it's still cheaper than Pocket DVD Studio.

5 - Try deset Pocket Video Maker. It looks new.

6 - Try UnLoGiC Movie Converter. It's FREE. Can't complain. This doesn't rip a DVD but if you have the vob files, you can convert it to a video file playable on the Palm. Or, just convert an existing avi file for playing on the palm.

7 - Try Pocket Divx Encoder (also freeware). If the original website link doesn't work, try here. Another video converter software.

8 - Try Lathe This looks like a new video converter software. No, it doesn't rip a DVD video but if you already have a video file, you can convert it for playing on your Palm. This one isn't freeware.

9 - Read the posting from junglemike on ripping and encoding DVD to avi's for Palm:here Or if you only need to convert the avi to be viewable on the Palm, check out these postings: This is specific for the Zire 71 and for the Tungstens

10 - Read this posting on converting a DVD using Fairuse Wizard LE. Make sure you read all 4 pages to go through the procedures. Link. Or, check out this article at PalmFocus

11 - Read this article on converting for MMPlayer. Link Check the forums (if they exist) for the relevant software if you have any questions or problems.

Since many users will be using MMPlayer, a good place to read up on questions and ask some yourself is at the MMPlayer forums here

If you're experiencing audio/video synch problems (ie. audio is faster than the video or vice versa), check out my posting in junglemike's thread on avi conversion for Zire 71. The link is in #9.

++++++++

XV - MP3S & PLAYERS

Q: How do can I get music from my CDs to my Palm?

A: First, you have to "rip" the audio files from the CD and compress and encode them into a compressed audio format like mp3 or ogg vorbis. Then, you can transfer them to your Palm and listen to them using an audio player.

CDex is a popular free ripping and encoding software. DBPowerAmp is another popular free one. Simply install the software, pop in your CD and usually, it's as simple as highlighting all the songs you want to rip and click on a button to rip them. Some may require you to go into the settings and change a few settings.

If you have Windows Media 10, check this link for info on how to do it from Windows Media 10.

Then, you can either transfer the mp3 or ogg vorbis files in one of many ways: using a card reader which you can simply drag and drop the files from Windows to the expansion card, using a software like CardExportII or PFB which allows you to access the SD card while the Palm is connected in the cradle and do the drag and drop, or install them into the Palm or SD card via Quick Install and hotsync (but that can take a long time depending how many files you're transferring) or via the Windows Media or Real Media software which also allows drag and drop transfer.

--------

Q: What are some other mp3 players that can play on my Palm?

A: The popular ones are AeroPlayer and PocketTunes. There's also Busker, RealPlayer DioPlayer (freeware) and MMPlayer and TCPMP can also play mp3s although MMPlayer and TCPMP are mainly video players.

With AeroPlayer and PocketTunes, if you only play ogg vorbis (another audio compression format similar to mp3s) files with the player, you can use it for free without paying a license or registering for it. This is because ogg vorbis is an open source format and mp3 is a licensed format.

--------

Q: I've transferred mp3s to my expansion card but my RealOne player can't detect and play it

A: Make sure that you have a folder named AUDIO or /AUDIO on the expansion card. Then, move all your mp3 files to that directory.

Get FileZ or FileProg to allow you to create the folder in your expansion card and do other Windows Explorer like functions on your Palm. You should not have any problems once you put them in that directory.

Or, you can use Aero Player or Pocket Tunes which will scan your entire card for mp3s. Also, if you use ogg vorbis files instead of mp3s, you can fit more files (at a lower bitrate without sacrificing much noticeable sound quality), you can use the players for free without a license (mp3 playback has a trial period). So, as long as you only play ogg vorbis files on these players, you don't have to register or pay for the software.

--------

Q: How to I transfer mp3s or other multimedia files from my computer to my Zire 71?

A: There are several ways to do so.

Purchase a card reader (they're cheap nowadays) and then put your expansion card in the reader and then you can easily drag and drop files to and from the Windows to the card and then you simply have to put the card in the Palm to play them. Believe me, this or the Card ExportII way is much faster at the file transfer.

OR, you can get something like Card Export II which connects your Palm to the computer and allows you to use your Palm as a temporary virtual drive, just like a USB thumb drive. Once installed and connected, you can drag and drop files from the Palm to your computer, just like you would with a card reader.

Freeware alternatives to Card Export II include PFB and PalmDisk

Here's a translated page on Palm File Browser (PFB)

Or, drag and drop the mp3 or ogg vorbis files into the expansion card area of the Quick Install and do a hotsync. Depending on the size of the files and the number of them you're transferring, it can take quite a long time. I remembered waiting hours for the transfer to occur.

Or, use the transfer capabilities of the RealPlayer and/or Windows Media software which allows simple drag and drop transfer of files.

Check out PalmOne's site on transferring files using RealPlayer here Click on the Multimedia Setup Guide link and you'll be taken through a tutorial on transferring multimedia files.

While you're there, check out the all the links on the page related to Multimedia and HotSync support.

More links related to Zire 71 and mp3s here

--------

Q: When playing the ogg vorbis files on either Aeroplayer or Pocket Tunes, I tend to get some stuttering or slight pauses in the songs that I don't hear when I listen on my computer. How can I get rid of this?

A: I suspect that there's a bit of conflict when you have both Aeroplayer and Pocket Tunes or even Audible and you play a song on one and then later, play it on another. I guess there must be something still running in RAM even when you exit. You may want to switch back to the default equalizer, or decrease the volume boost level, or change the skin. Or, do a soft reset and most times, the problem goes away.

I ended up using PowerRun to move these audio apps to the expansion card. Since PowerRun copies all the necessary files from the expansion card to RAM when you're running the application and then deletes them when you exit, I would think that whatever that was causing the conflicts would also be wiped out. And so far, I haven't experienced these pauses.

The only problem now with these audio players in PowerRun is that you can't use background playing since once you try launching other apps, it will immediately exit. So, either deal with having to soft reset the device or not have background playing.

++++++++

XVI - INTERNET, WIRELESS SURFING, BROWSERS

Q: Can I surf with my Palm via my computer?

A: Yes, but you'll need to get a 3rd party app called Softick PPP While connected in the cradle, you can surf on the internet and retrieve emails, etc from your Palm, as if you were doing it wirelessly. To browse the web, you also require a Palm web browser Palm Web Browser Pro or Blazer or other similar apps. Do a search and you should find more info on these browsers.

--------

Q: How can I access the internet with my Zire 71?

A: As discussed earlier, you have several options.

1 - Via Softick PPP, you can access the internet via your computer's connection.

2 - Via a Palm modem sled that can provide dial up access via the phone line.

3 - Via your old external 56k modem connected to your Palm. There are a few ways to do this.

If you already have a serial cradle (it connects to your serial port not USB port), you can get a null modem adapter and then connect the serial port of the cradle to the null modem adapter and the serial port of your 56k modem to that. Set up your Palm to connect via a modem.

Or get a serial cable and then get a null modem adapter, which may be cheaper than getting a serial cradle.

The other way is to buy a modem cable for the Palm which will connect your Palm directly to the serial connector of the 56k modem. Then, just set up your Palm to connect via a modem. I got myself the Brando modem cable from ExecutivePDA since it seemed cheaper than the other alternatives.

Check out this page for more info on how to set it up as well as making your own null modem adapter.

4 - Via your cell phone if you have a cable that can connect your cell phone to the Zire 71. You can either access via the phone line (dial up in which you are using the minutes on your cell phone plan) or via GPRS (data), for which you'd need a data plan with your cell phone carrier. TheSupplyNet has lots of cables that can connect your phone to the Palm. Or, you can try using the IR (infrared) but I would think that it would be very slow.

Check PalmOne's site for phone link drivers that can enable you to use your cell with your Palm here

4 - Via Sandisk's Wi-Fi SDIO card (SDWSDB-000-A10M), which connects via the expansion card slot (SDIO). This is the only version that has been confirmed to work on the Zire 71 since there are drivers for the Zire 71. Again, search through the forum since there's lots of info on this. The most popular posting on this is here Make sure you get the correct one since the older versions (SDWSDB-000-768) or the version with the +256MB memory (SDWSDB256A / SDWSDB256A10) or the newer one for the T3 and Zire 72 and now for the T5 (P10952U) DO NOT WORK for the Zire 71.

There is a mini-CD with notes that's hidden in between the Sandisk cardboard in the plastic blister packaging. Make sure you remove the Sandisk cardboard packaging from the blister pack and check for the mini CD. You will need to install the drivers to have the card work. Or, if for whatever reason there is no CD inside the package, you can download the drivers and the other documents from Sandisk.

The Palm drivers are here And the Wi-Fi card page is here

For those in Canada, it looks like now your option is to try bidding for it on Ebay or buy from US online retailers and pay customs and deal with the currency exchange. At one point, Compusmart and Directdial Canada sold it but they don't stock it anymore.

NOTE: It's a very good idea to try out using Softtick PPP taking advantage of their trial period with the Palm first BEFORE you spend your money on the Wi-Fi card. You may end up figuring that you hated dealing with such a small screen, settings, lack of SD storage, etc.

WEB BROWSERS

There's a demo version of Novarra's nWeb browser included in the CD or drivers zip file. Or, you can download either the trial version of nWeb from Novarra here

NOTE: Apparently, they offer the proxy service free for 12 months with browser purchase ($34.95). Afterwards, it costs $5 for 3 months.

nweb Optimizer Service........$5.00/3 months
    (First 12 months included with browser purchase)
    The link to this info is here

or PalmOne's Palm Web Browser Pro ($34.99) here or here

So far, I have not seen anything about PalmOne charging for the proxy service. So keep that in mind when choosing the browser you want to buy.

Or try HandSpring's Blazer, or Eudora Internet Suite, or Xiino, or Pocketlink

5 - Via Enfora's Wireless LAN portfolio, which connects via the universal connector. The porfolio operates as a Palm case and a Wi-Fi hardware. Good thing about this is that it frees up the SD slot and saves battery since it has its own battery but it costs $149 USD.

6 - Via Enfora's GSM/GPRS (Quad-Band) portfolio, which makes your Zire 71 almost a smartphone since you can now receive and place cell phone calls in addition to surfing wireless anywhere where there's GSM network access. Unfortunately, they are not cheap. But, if you do a lot of travelling, since it's Quad-band, it should work everywhere in the world.

You can buy the Enfora portfolios online from Enfora directly, or from the PalmOne online store, or from various resellers like MobilePlanet

In #4 & 5, you will require a Wi-Fi hotspot or a wireless access point in order to access the net. Some places offer them for free if you're a patron (ie. coffee shops, restaurants, etc), while others require you to pay for it. Or, of course, if someone has not secured their home wireless access, you can also easily "borrow" their access.

--------

Q: What are some PDA optimized or friendly sites that displays faster on my Palm?

A: Try these:

PDAPortal, MobileWeb, PalmOneMobile, SmallSites, Paw, 240px, PliNkIT!, PDAFriendly, Skweezer.net, Mobileweb4u, Wacklepedia

--------

Q: How can I view web pages offline?

A: There are a few programs out there that can retrieve web pages and download them for offline viewing on your Palm.

The easiest one and most well known is the Avantgo The software is included in the Essentials CD which is bundled with the Palm, or you can download the latest version via the web. You need to register an account, select the pre-configured channels (websites) that you wish to view and when you do your hotsync, the info is downloaded on your Palm. One disadvantage is that Avantgo only allows a 2MB limit (and an extra 1MB if you do a survey) and works optimally in RAM. Although you can put the program and data on the SD card, the download will take a long time.

I personally gave up on this in favor of Plucker and Sunrise. With Plucker and Sunrise, you set up the websites you want to retrieve, do the document conversion in Windows to allow you to view it on your Palm and hotsync to download it. Although it may seem to take a bit more time, you are not limited by the 2 or 3MB limit and set filters and other settings to fetch and retrieve websites and RSS/XML feeds.

Sunrise is the conversion software and Plucker is both a conversion and viewer software. Sunrise is much better at doing the conversion since it can do many password login sites, something that Plucker currently still can't do. And best of all, they are free.

There's also iSilo, Handstory and others. For more info, check out the MobileRead forums www.mobileread.com since they concentrate more on offline viewers there.

Or, you can always use RepliGo and convert your pages for offline viewing although you can't have it retrieve new web pages or info like the other apps.

++++++++

XVII - EMAIL AND OUTLOOK

Q: How do I synchronize my Outlook to my Palm?

A: When you do the initial Palm Desktop installation (CD1), you should be prompted on whether you'd like to synchronize your Outlook. If you chose to do so, then you should be set. Otherwise, try popping in the CD and see if you can do it. The Palm Desktop CD1 includes the Chapura Pocket Mirror software, so there's no need to pay for it elsewhere.

Otherwise, open up Windows Explorer and open up your CDROM drive. Go to the Palm Desktop folder. Open up the Pocket Mirror ENG folder. Double click on the SETUP.exe file and you should go through the Pocket Mirror setup.

eg. E:\Palm Desktop\Pocket Mirror ENG\SETUP.exe

(E:\ or whatever letter being the drive letter of your CDROM drive)

Once installed, every time you Hotsync, the data from both Outlook and your Palm will be synchronized or one will override the other, if you have set it up that way.

Also, check out these links on Chapura PocketMirror here and here and also check out VersaMail

You may have the software in your Palm install CD or Essentials CD so search through your CD before you buy it.

And check out this PalmOne page on the various other email retrieval apps available and what's supported here

++++++++

XVIII - GPS

Q: I'm interested in getting a GPS navigation system for my Zire 71. Any suggestions?

A: There are many threads and postings on this in the forums and I have compiled many of the answers here. I personally do not own one (yet) and thought that this may be helpful for someone in the same boat as me.

The majority of the information comes from senior member Stan Gosnell (SGosnell) so he should take the bulk of the credit for the information. Thanks Stan.

Stan suggests that any GPS receiver (ie. Garmin, Magellan, etc) that puts out the NMEA format will work. You only require to get a cable that will connect the GPS receiver/handheld to your Zire 71.

You can look for the cables at most online stores that sell GPS receivers or at www.pc-mobile.com , www.pfranc.com , www.gpsgeek.com .

Also, make sure that you have to set the GPS to NMEA for the in/out protocol. And of course, you'll need the mapping software. Mapopolis seems to be the best one out there, allowing you to read the large maps from the SD card instead of loading it in RAM (older versions). There are some freewares out there like CetusGPS and CotoGPS. Check out Freewarepalm for more.

The benefits of getting a handheld GPS receiver is that you can take it and use it wherever you are, rather than being stuck to using it in the car or having it connected to your Palm. And, apparently, the little mouse receivers aren't very accurate, or let's say, not as accurate as the cheapest Gamin etrex which is accurate to 5m. Even if you get the cheapest GPS receiver, you can still take advantage of the mapping software to direct you to where you want to go. But, apparently, Mapopolis doesn't allow you to change your route once you've set it up (a problem if you've ventured the wrong way). At least, you know where you are. ;)

At one time, Radio Shack was selling the Digitraveler GPS receiver with Delorme mapping software (20-1601 or 200-1601). Many have discussed that the Delorme software isn't very good, although it was free and included in the package. And, also, the unit doesn't connect very well to the Palm. Refer back to a previous FAQ posting on improving the connection and Hotsync problems which discusses bending clips.

More threads on GPS and the Zire 71: Holux GPS with Mapopolis, 'No fix' msg on RS digi Traveler, Satellite navigation, Mapping software, Palm navigation kit (no longer offered for Z71) , Zire 71 with gps, Mapopolis

And check out the forums at GPSPassion

++++++++

XIX - BATTERY

Q: Are there ways to extend the battery life of the Zire 71?

A: You can try various ways to extend the battery life.

1 - Decrease the brightness setting as well as the backlight for different environment conditions (indoors, outdoors, bright sunlight, etc.) There are many different software that can allow you to change the backlighting. If you try to set your default Palm brightness to the lowest setting, you will notice that it may still be very bright. Install a backlight app that can allow you to set the backlight to an even lower setting so that you can get it almost completely black, or at least just a tad above it.

A popular free app is Auto Dimmer, and there's also SilkDimmer. And yet another, although not free, but works great is EnergyDimmer

For Zire 72 owners or others who can't get the other apps to work, try this freeware from Dmitry Grinberg: Brightness Fix

2 - Underclock the various applications so that they run at a slower speed. For many applications, running at a slower speed isn't very noticeable. Such an app would be LightSpeed . On the other hand, overclocking, although will drain the battery faster, will improve the performance of various apps like video or media players which may require a faster speed for optimum performance. There's also another one, warpSpeed.

PXAClocker DOES NOT WORK FOR Zire 71 since it is for the PXA processor (the Zire 71 has OMAP) but it will work for the Zire 72, Tungsten T3, T5, C, Zire 31, Lifedrive, Treo 650.

3 - Make sure you either have a good hard case for your Palm so that you won't accidentally turn on your Palm if you tap on the case. Do a search in the forums for the various hard cases that are available. I heard that Proporta makes great cases. As well, install a free app like DisableButtons that will shut down the Palm even if a button is accidentally pressed. The Palm will still turn on when the button is pressed but Disable buttons will turn it right off.

4 - You might want to try to see if you can "reset" the battery by doing the "in-cradle/charger" reset. Put your Palm in the cradle and while it's charging, do a soft reset (put a pin in the reset hole at the back of the Palm). Let it charge for 3 - 4 hours and don't do anything (ie. turn it off or touch any buttons, etc) during its charge. This may reset the battery and you may experience a better battery charge.

5 - Invest in an external battery or charger that can charge your Palm. Belkin Emergency 9V power adapter charger (F8P3003) can use a 9 volt battery to charge your Palm via the universal connector. You can easily pocket the charger, battery and connector when not in use. And it's convenient. And Proporta sells a similar charger

There's also other emergency chargers that uses AA batteries. Check out TechCenterLabs, BoxWave's Battery Adapter, or this one at Surplus-PDA. And this Texaswireless Ebay store sells a lot of battery extenders for a variety of PDAs, electronic devices.

For those with a Tungsten E, Zire 72 and similar Palms that have a separate charger connector, try checking out PocketSolution's battery extender, or Incipio's 9 volt emergency charger.

Palm Power to Go sled (P10906U) also connects to the Palm via the universal connector. You can connect the sled with the Palm on the cradle so that you can hotsync while charging. If the Palm is not fully charged, the Palm will be the first to be charged and then the sled. Although not cheap and being discontinued, it's worth the investment if you are planning or are already using the Sandisk SDIO Wi-Fi card since it drains the battery very quickly.

Recharging HotSync USB Cable With Cigarette Lighter Adapter (P10884U). Actually Belkin, and other companies makes similar travel or mobility chargers where you have one cable that connects to the Palm via the universal connector port and the other end connects to the USB port. The Palm gets charged via the USB port and draws the power from the computer or laptop via the USB port. Also included in such a travel charger package is an auto adapter that you can connect the cable to your car's cigarette lighter. So, you can still charge up your Palm when driving your car. This is very convenient since you no longer have a big cradle and a heavy wall adapter to carry around. Belkin sells a similar one Belkin USB Sync Charger (F8P3000)

6 - Disable Beam Receive. Prefs. Power. Beam Receive. Change to Off. This may improve the battery life somewhat. For those with Zire 72 with bluetooth, you may also want to disable the bluetooth too.

Also, check out PalmOne's article on improving battery performance here

Although this is not a battery power app, it may be useful. Try installing BatteryGraph. It monitors your battery status. Using such a utility may help you figure out your battery performance over time so you can have a better idea how the battery drains over time and maybe adjust how you use it.

++++++++

XX - REMOTE CONTROL OF PALM VIA COMPUTER

Q: Is there a software that can allow me to operate my Palm from my computer?

A: Yes. Tapsmart Keylink allows you to operate your Palm using your mouse and computer's keyboard while your Palm is connected via the cradle. You can use your mouse to select and run apps on your Palm, enter text and numbers via your computer's keyboard without dealing with Graffiti 2. This makes text entry a lot faster and easier. And for some people (like me), this replaces the need for a Palm keyboard. Although a bit pricey, but the software is worth it if you do a lot of text and document writing on your Palm.

++++++++

XXI - SOFTWARE SUGGESTIONS

Q: I need some suggestions for games, software, favorite programs, etc

A: There are lots of postings on this all over the forums. Again, do a search and you should find lots of results. Here's a few postings to start you off: here, here, here, here, here, and here And check out the Software for PalmOne handhelds forum

Also, check out the Palmsource Expert guides for links and apps that may appeal to specific groups, interests, profession, tasks, etc.

++++++++

XXII - PALM KEYBOARDS

Q: What keyboards will work on my Zire 71?

A: Most palm keyboards that connect to the universal connector such as those that work for the Tungsten T's, m5x5, etc should work for the Zire 71. If you are planning or think you may decide to upgrade to a different Palm, it may be worthwhile to get a wireless keyboard, such as those that are powered by batteries and operate via IR (infrared) signals. These IR keyboards will work with many different kinds of Palms and even PPCs since you don't need to connect it directly to the universal connector and most handhelds have IR capability.

One thing to note is that if you owned and used a Palm keyboard before, you MUST disable the keyboard and delete the old keyboard.prc app or file from your Palm FIRST before you install the new driver. Otherwise, you may end up with a lot of problems such as resets, etc.

If you are using the newer Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard (3169WW), make sure you download the drivers from PalmOne and NOT use the drivers supplied on the CD. Get it here.

++++++++

XXIII - MISC

Q: Where do I get a case for all my SD cards as well as my Sandisk Wi-Fi card?

A: You could do a search on Ebay or elsewhere and buy one, but why, when you can just buy a small Altoids mint in a tin box and use it as an SD card case?

Get the one that's 11g or 0.40oz tin. Check out these pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As you can see, I've created a partition that can separate the cards, allowing me to have two stacks of cards and also keep them from sliding and moving in the case.

Or, if you only have one or two SD cards, you could try getting those Listerine pocket paks. Or, if you buy the Sandisk SD cards, they come in their own little SD card cases. In order to fit more, you'll need to remove some of the extra plastic inside so that you can fit more than one card.

--------

Q: How can I move files from my Palm to PC or vice versa?

A: You can get a card reader. You simply put the expansion card into the card reader, plug it into the USB port of your computer and your computer will create a temporary virtual drive that you can drag and drop files to/from Palm and computer.

Or, you can get a software alternative with Card Export II or PFB (Palm File Browser)(freeware). They will make your Palm when connected on the cradle to become a temporary virtual drive, very much like a card reader.

--------

Q: Can I revert back to Graffiti 1 from Graffiti 2?

A: It is possible and if you do a search in Google, you should find lots of results on this. Check out this link. Be sure to READ the how_to.txt to understand the procedures required.

--------

Q: How can I view Adobe's pdf files on my Palm?

A: Adobe has a special application and Windows converter software that will convert pdf files that can be viewable with their Palm pdf viewer. You can get it here. Personally, I have not been able to get it to work properly so instead, I use Cerience's RepliGo which can convert ANY document (web page, word, excel, pictures, graphics, etc) for viewing on the Palm.

--------

Q: What upgrades are available for my Palm?

A: In terms of the Palm OS, not much. There is a patch for the SDIO card and the Hotsync and Desktop manager. Check out this PalmOne OS upgrade page

--------

Q: How do I move all my data from a previous older Palm handheld to my new one?

A: Check out this link from Palm that talks about upgrading from a previous Palm handheld.

--------

Q: My POWER button is broken. How do I turn it ON and OFF?

A: Check out this posting

--------

Q: How can I set the Palm to not turn off after 3 minutes or increase the time so that it turns off after an hour, or even NEVER?

A: There are a few apps out there that will do that. I prefer AlwaysOn since it's quite small in size (and should be since it's a simple task). There's also AutoOff and StayAlive. They're all freeware.

--------

Q: My Card Export II no longer works and it was working before. How can I fix it?

A: It looks like a saved preferences file was corrupted. Use FileZ. On the main screen, tap on View Preferences. Go through the list and look for saved preferences pusb and Delete it.

Things should work fine now.

------

Q: My question isn't answered after reading this FAQ. Are there other FAQs or more information available in the forum?

A: Glad you asked! Here's a link to the Brighthand FAQ forum which carries numerous specific issues and questions covering a variety of universal Palm issues and some on specific models.

And, also don't forget the SEARCH ENGINE. You may be surprised to find a wealth of information can be found by typing in your search terms.

If you still can't find an answer, post your question in the relevant (not this FAQ posting) forum.

Let's keep this sticky posting more of a quick-and-to-the point information posting rather than a like a regular posting of questions. THANKS!. I will update with new info from time to time.

3. ackmondual

ackmondual Mobile Deity

4. Legodude522

Legodude522 Linux Evangelist

Great SD card case idea. I used to just tape my sd cards to my Zire 71.

5. ackmondual

ackmondual Mobile Deity

WOuld work in short term. In the end, i would keep it in a small pocket in my wallet. Tape can lose its adhesiveness. Similar with leaving it loose in my pnats pocket. In the unusual case that you pull out your keys or handheld and unknowingly also your SD card... it falls on the street, u never find it agian and are out $50 to $150 right there.

6. WS64

WS64 Mobile Evangelist

7. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

Just remember that you are taking on a risk when tampering with the battery, especially the voltage threshold. Check out this article from Paul at Palm/PDA 24/7.

Also remember that LiOn batteries do not suffer from the memory effects that NiCad, NiMh batteries do so you don't need to drain the battery completely. Draining the battery, especially beyond the threshold may not only NOT prolong the life of the battery, but actually shorten it. So use at your own risk. But, LiOn batteries, like any battery, eventually will go dead over time. For more info on batteries, check out BatteryUniversity and be informed.

I'd be curious to check on those who use Full Power and how long their batteries last over time.

8. maximillian_x

maximillian_x Mobile Consultant

As an FYI, I pulled off the sticker very carefully from my Zire 71, then I used my fingers to rub off the remaining adhesive, leaving a er..."non-sticky" sticker.

My wife is a scrap-booker, and she has this doodad that applies adhesive to any cutout (making it a sticker). The adhesive is remarkably similar to the stuff that was there before. I just ran the serial number sticker (sans-adhesive) through said doodad, and it went back on the 71 with no problems!

This is the "tool" or what-have-you: http://www.xyron.com/products_detai.../14/?sess_id=2f8232c465c49bf32aeeb6f0944b84d1

Called a Xyron XRN150 "Create-A-Sticker"

The trickiest part was getting the sticker off without ruining it.

Rob

9. Legodude522

Legodude522 Linux Evangelist

Whenever I peel off the stickers they seem to get ruined. Is there a special method or just being careful?

Oh, and hi there ;)

10. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Bear in mind that you have absolutely no idea how any self-applied or self-selected sticky solution will react to the polymer that forms your palm screen. It could weaken it or cause it to degrade over time without you knowing it. Tread carefully and at your own risk. :(