Zire 71 FAQ

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ignavia, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Vill

Vill Mobile Deity

That's funny cuz I do the exact same thing. I put all my games in an SD card too just in case!

Ryvil

2. Prom

Prom Cybertronian

Ok guys I'm testing out the Zire71 for 10 days before I decide If I like it or not. Oh man its amazing what you can forget in 1.5yrs of not using a Palm from 4.1 years.

Ok trying to get hotsync to sync the photos I've taken to my WIndows XP Pro desktop here at work.

what is going wrong?? Ive got hotsync to usb both on desktop setup as well as on the Zire71 along with all of the data checked marked. so what am I missing??

Man I feel like a dolt!??!

3. hiswacko

hiswacko Mobile Deity

theyre probly syncced, you just nedd to open the palm photo app on your comp. if your using an old ver of palm desktop, you might need to reinstall.

4. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

Last edited: April 16, 2006

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere but it doesn't look like the FAQ has it so I thought I'd add this in. NOTE. I will periodically update and edit these posts with new stuff rather than make another posting.

Please bear in mind that most of the stuff here have been discussed in the forums. I am certainly no expert.

FOR NEWBIES OR ANYONE. A BRIEF LIST OF WHAT YOU NEED TO DO, GET, BEFORE PROBLEMS ARISE (AND SAVE A LOT OF HEADACHES OR HASSLES):

1 - GET A HARD CASE. Get a hard case or at least some kind of case so that you physically protect it from accidental bumps, scrapes, etc. A hard case could cushion a blow or accidental drops and may prevent a cracked or broken Palm display screen. Also, with the Palm safely inside a hard case, there is no potential for the Palm to accidentally turn on due to accidental pressing of the buttons. This eliminates the need for a software like Disable buttons to be installed.

Cracked or broken Palm glass screens are a common occurrence and are usually not covered by the PalmOne warranty. You may wish to take advantage of GetHighTech's extended warranty, which does cover ONE glass screen replacement. At $9.99, it's much cheaper than paying $125 which PalmOne charges for repairs. Better yet, get the HARD CASE

2 - GET A SCREEN PROTECTOR. Get a screen protector or get a set of them. This prevents scratches on your glass display and potential problems arising out of scratched screens. There are many brands of screen protectors. Many Palm owners advise agains the Palm branded ones. Recommended ones include Brando, Boxwave, Martin Fields. If you don't mind the bubbles, you can easily buy the clingy plastic at your local fabric store and make your own for very little money.

3 - GET A BACKUP SOFTWARE. Get a backup software like BackupBuddy or BackupMan, TealBackup, Right Back Up, SaveBackup, Mobile Backup, RescoBackup which can schedule daily backups so that you have a backup readily available on your expansion card to be restored should problems arise. Relying on your Hotsync and backup folder in Windows is NOT a reliable means of backup. Resco Explorer which is a File Manager, also has a backup feature. Even trying some freeware backup apps is better than not having one. Here are some freewares: InnerBackup, CardBackup, VfsBackup, PowerGuardLite, RedFelineBackup, SmartBackup. Rogame offers a free lite version of BackUpLite as well as the full version BackUpPro. And, UniCMD (Uni Commander) a file manager with backup feature is now freeware. I have not tried any of these so can't comment on how well they work (or not).

Also, check out this posting (shameless plug) for more backup program suggestions.

I realize that many readers of this post may not necessarily own a Zire 71 or even an OS 5 Palm since many software or tips may apply to other Palms as well. If you have an older Palm that doesn't have an expansion card and wish to have some kind of backup, try SyncAll. Hopefully, you have some kind of backup should you need it.

Also, it's a good habit to do a backup BEFORE you install a new Palm application or software. Why? You've never installed the new software before and have no idea what potential conflicts may arise. Believe it or not, sometimes a new software may cause a hard reset of the device or create potential problems. So, if you do a backup or at least a Hotsync session (if you don't have a backup app like BackupMan or Backupbuddy), so you have some kind of backup. And if something bad does happen, you can always hard reset the device and restore the previous settings back. Or, get an uninstaller app to remove all remnants of an application (#8).

Along the same lines, install new applications or software one at a time. This helps in diagnosing which program is conflicting or causing problems. Should you encounter crashes and resets, provided that you have done a backup as I've mentioned, it can be very easy to restore it back to the way it was just before you installed the new app.

Also, it's not enough to just make backups but to keep archived copies of them around. So, if you start making backups, make a point of keeping the old copy somewhere, maybe on the SD card, or in your computer, or another flash memory or storage archive. Keep those archives, at least one for each week so that you have a backup from a particular week and of course, keep the last 7 days of backup.

One time, I found that one particular program kept crashing every time I launched it and it was working fine only a day or two ago. I tried a previous day's restore of that app and it still crashed. Then, I tried to restore the app from older archives and found one that worked. So, it's a good idea to keep archives because you don't know how long a problem existed before you encounter it. At least if you keep archives, you have a better chance to restore it without problems.

BACKUP your factory Palm settings as a safeguard for a hard reset (before your Power button fails). Those who discover later on that their Power button no longer works will find that the only way to do a HARD RESET (wiping the Palm back to its factory settings) is to use the Power button. So, it's a good idea to do your HARD RESET now when the Power button is working, backing it up with your backup program so that when you do need to restore it back that you can. So, first, do a backup with your backup program before you do your hard reset. Then do your hard reset. From the expansion card, launch your BackupBuddy or Backupman or similar app and back up your hard resetted Palm with a title that is distinguishable. Once done, restore your previous backup. Now, you have your hard reset alternative.

Of course, the other alternative is to open up the Palm and physically disconnecting the battery.

4 - INSTALL YOUR DEVICE PATCHES. Check out the PalmOne support pages for your device. Install all essential updates and patches for your device. Many are not aware of installing patches and updates until their SD cards have become corrupted or other problems that could have been prevented had they installed the patches.

Also, there's a wealth of information including tips, how-to handbooks, software downloads, instructional videos, etc specific for your device. A good start is the manual. Download and view the pdf file because it contains a lot of information that you may not figure out just by playing with it.

5 - GET THE LARGEST SIZED EXPANSION FLASH MEMORY CARD. Buy the largest sized expansion card you can afford. Getting an expansion card can help you greatly since you will need the external storage (Zire 71 has 13.8MB available RAM to start with) for backups, mp3 files, video files, database files, and whatever else. Remember, you can't expect that you can fit everything in the Palm when it has only 13.8 MB RAM and a lot of it will be take up by applications. Surely, it can be done, but you could save yourself a lot of hassle by buying an expansion card so that you can put as much applications, files, etc on the card and still have some RAM left to run some applications.

6 - GET A VIRTUAL MEMORY APP. Get an application that will allow you to run Palm programs off the expansion card so that you can free up precious RAM. PowerRun is a popular app. Launchers like ZLauncher, LauncherX and other similar launchers also have that capability. Most applications can be run from the expansion card with the above software. You will soon understand how precious RAM is once you get close to filling it up and realise you can't run anything because it requires a certain amount of free RAM to run.

Although some applications allow you to be run from the expansion card (simply copy and move it from RAM to Card), you will notice that some remnants (usually a large portion of it) will remain in RAM. To check, simply run the application from the card and then check the amount of RAM you have left and what's in RAM. You will notice that the application has remained in RAM even though you've moved to it to the card. Thus, getting something like PowerRun or the launchers I've mentioned will work since they will load when running and delete everything from RAM when you exit out of the application. This will free up the RAM.

7 - GET AN UNINSTALLER APP. Get an uninstaller application like Uninstall manager or better yet, get the Neat Freak pack which includes the Uninstall Manager and Cleanup. This way, you can safely remove all remnants of an application when you decide that an application has crashed or you don't wish to have it in your Palm anymore. There's also Destaller Pro and a free lite version Destaller Lite. As well, there's Clean Uninstaller

8 - DON'T COMPLETELY DRAIN THE BATTERY. Be sure to NEVER let the battery drain down because you will lose all data stored in the RAM (RAM needs electricity to store data). Try not to let it go down much before you charge it. LiOn batteries do not don't suffer from memory effects and don't need to be "reconditioned" like NiCad or NiMh batteries. I try to not let it go below 70%. If battery performance has deteriorated, try an "in-cradle" reset (put a pin in the reset hole when it's charging) and let it charge without pressing any buttons or tap the screen for 3 - 4 hours. You may experience better battery performance.

9 - WRITE OR PUT DOWN YOUR REGISTRATION NUMBERS AND IDS SOMEWHERE. If you purchase software off the online software stores like Handango, PalmGear, Handmark, etc, MAKE SURE YOU NOTE YOUR REGISTRATION ID OR SERIAL NUMBERS. Create a notepad entry in Windows, put it in an Excel spreadsheet, write it physically down in a notebook, or paper daytimer or wherever. Just make sure if something goes wrong whether your hard drive failed, your Palm dies, etc that you have your registration IDs. Your software registration IDs for the software is tied to your HotsyncID and is non-transferrable (for obvious reasons) So, even if you paid for a software, you can't sell it to a friend because the friend most likely has a different HotsyncID than yours and he won't be able to register the software under his HotsyncID. If you do forget to note it down, try emailing the developer using the same email address that you originally bought the software under and provide any reference number with the original order. If the developer has your information, they will most likely provide you with the ID.

10 - READ THE MANUAL AND RESEARCH THE FORUMS. First of all, download and read your device's manual. Go to this link and select your device. Then look for the manual. Check out the wealth of information in the forums: General FAQ, Software Forum and don't forget the SEARCH. You may be surprised that your question may have already been asked.

========

maceyr's Palm Discovery blog

I have personally started a Palm blog which is originally going to focus on the Palm newbies and those who don't own a Palm device yet and maybe thinking about it, or even those who are still using paper daytimer organizers. The first few postings will discuss why anyone should even consider getting a Palm, especially those who are happy with a paper organizer. I will outline my reasons why I switched from paper to digital. Then, I will focus on discussing the default Palm applications that are installed on the device. I have created some Flash simulations that show how the applications work as well as screenshots of the application to help newbies understand. Eventually, I will discuss third party applications and tips and tricks I've discovered.

Check it out: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, please check out the Frappr map that I've created for my blog and for the Brighthand members. Please add yourself to the map (it's so cool to see where everyone is) and then post your reply and notification in this thread.

========

Here are the titles of the topics discussed in this posting to make it easier to navigate:

I - ZIRE 71 AND PALM REFERENCE
    II - DOT SHORTCUTS
    II - MAC RESOURCES
    IV - RESET AND BACKUP
    V - PALM DESKTOP SOFTWARE
    VI - BROKEN PALMS AND HOW TO OPEN YOUR ZIRE 71
    VII - HOTSYNC PROBLEMS
    VIII - SCREEN WHINE
    IX - DIGITIZER
    X - DATEBOOK, CLOCKS, TIME AND ALARMS
    XI - STARTUP SCREENS.

I - ZIRE 71 AND PALM REFERENCE

Q: Is there somewhere where I can learn more about the Palm OS5 and how to use it?

A: Check out this link for the very basic stuff for Palm newbies. Also, check out PalmOne's kb on Zire 71 setup guide. And, you can search PalmOne's knowledge base for answers

One main note for newbies is that Palm executable programs have the extension of prc. So, when you're installing a Palm application via Quick Install, you are supposed to put those prc files for installation. The database files have the extension of pdb. Some Palm software require you to install the prc and pdb files. If you encounter an exe file, you are expected to install this Windows executable file in Windows first which will also place the required prc and pdb files to be installed for your next Hotsync. Many online stores will package their software as a Windows exe file, requiring you to install it in Windows first and then it will be installed on the Palm next. Keep that in mind when you try out Palm software.

Also, check out this Palm article on installing third-party applications here

------

Q: Where can I get PalmOne's Zire 71 handbooks?

A: Check out PalmOne's handbooks for all the available Adobe Acrobat (pdf) files for the Zire 71. You'll need to have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to view them. If you want to view pdf files on the Palm, you'll need to first convert it to a special format that its special Acrobat reader can view on the Palm. Get it here. Unfortunately for me, I had problems converting a file over so I ditched in favor of a much better program, RepliGo, which can convert any document to be viewed on the Palm. You simply open up the file, print and the conversion process commences. Then it gets Hotsynced to your Palm and you can now view it on the Palm.

-------

Q: Where do I get the software patches, drivers, and other software for the Zire 71?

A: Here

++++++++

II - DOT SHORTCUTS

Q: What are dot short-cuts?

A: These are undocumented Graffiti short cuts that can change some Palm settings. You simply run Memo Pad, create a new Memo and input the dot short-cut.

The short cut looks like the logo of the Aids or whatever charity cause ribbon campaign. Some people say that it looks like a script "s" but it's really a loop and looks more like a script "l" instead in my opinion. Anyway, here are the dot short cuts. Remember, please use these with caution as you may have to do a hard reset to revert back to the state it was before. So backup your files and apps before you try them. These were taken from http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~elf/visor/dot-shortcuts.html but these shortcuts are well known amongst veteran Palm users. If done correctly with the shortcut and then the dot and the letter or number, you should see a brief notification flash before you before it disappears.

.i Enable Beam-Receive for a brief period of time.

.s Toggle between serial and IR modes. In serial mode, data normally transmitted via the IR port is sent over the serial port.

.t Toggle loopback mode for the IR Exchange Manager.

.1 Open the serial port (debug mode). Soft reset to close. CAUTION: Serious battery drain if left open!

.2 Open the serial port (console mode). Soft reset to close.

.3 Turn Auto-Off off. So the Palm NEVER turns off.

.4 Flash username and ID; the ID number represents the Windows Registry Key for the desktop software that sets the install flag, denoting whether there are files to be installed (thanks to Erwin Schomburg).

.5 Remove user configuration (username and 4 digit ID) and hotsync log. CAUTION: If you re-sync after doing this shortcut, duplicate entries will be created! Instead, perform a hard-reset and then sync with "PC Overwrites Palm".

.6 Display the ROM date.

.7 Cycle through battery type settings. The battery-types are: Alkaline/NiCad/Rechargeable Alkaline/NiMH. Selecting the proper type of battery displays the corresponding "fuel" gauge.

NOTE 1: NiMH setting only available in OS 3.3 and later.

NOTE 2: (courtesy Fred Maxwell): selecting NiMH, NiCad, or Rechargeable Alkaline batteries through the .7 shortcut results in the Visor Neo disabling beaming. If you attempt to beam a file after changing to a battery type other than Alkaline, you get the following message:

"Power Manager: Beaming has been temporarily disabled because the combination of features you are using requires more power than currently available. (Pwr 1E03)".

Suggested Workaround: When you need to beam data, change the battery-type to Alkaline, perform the beaming and then change it back to the appropriate type.

.8 Toggle the "inverse" backlighting on the Palm V or Palm IIIx. NOTE: If you upgrade from an older Palm device, this will not work unless you delete the Graffiti_ShortCuts.PRC from your backup directory BEFORE you do your first HotSync. If you've already performed a HotSync, you'll have to back everything up, delete the file mentioned above, hard reset your device, and then HotSync. (CESD, of DateBk3 fame, is working on writing this capability into dbScan).

++++++++

III - MAC RESOURCES

Q: Any resource for Mac users?

A: Check here, here, here, here, and here

++++++++

IV - RESET AND BACKUP

Q: How to I reset my Palm back to default settings?

A: If you're getting a lot of problems due to having too many software conflicts caused by 3rd party applications, the best way to fix it is to wipe out everything on your Palm so that it gets back to factory settings. Then, you can load and install the applications and files and settings back. Of course, you can continue to try to uninstall applications and find ways to try to fix it. But doing a hard reset is probably is fastest and easiest way since you're starting back from scratch.

Before you go do a hard reset, it's advisable to back up all your settings, files, and applications first.

The easiest way to do so is to get a backup application like BackupBuddy VFS or BackupMan. If you don't, you'll have to do the following procedure manually so that you still keep all your stuff but be able to start with a fresh Palm (since doing a hard reset only wipes it out on the Palm, but when you Hotsync, all the old stuff in your User Id folder will be reloaded back and you get the problems back).

First, find your User ID folder: PalmOne reference link

They're usually located at: C:\Program Files\Palm\YourHotsyncID

Then, rename the folder to something else, like YourUserID-old or something that you can recognize later. You will have to refer back to it later when you want to reload apps back.

So the folder is now: C:\Program Files\Palm\YourHotsyncID-old or whatever you named it

Then, create an empty folder with the same User Id that you changed (ie.Your User Id). So, you have it back again at: C:\Program Files\Palm\YourHotsyncID

Or, you can simply rename and replace your Backup folder in your YourHotsyncID folder (C:\Program Files\Palm\YourHotsyncID\Backup) rather than renaming and replacing the YourHotsyncID folder. I prefer to create an entire new HotsyncID folder so that I know I'm starting from scratch.

Now, do a hard reset (Open up the camera to expose the reset hole. Press on the Power Button and put the pin in. Don't release the power button until you see the Palm logo splash. Then, press your 5 way navigator button up) PalmOne reference link

And when you next do a Hotysnc, it will not be able to find any previous settings (since the new folder is empty), apps and files so nothing except for the default settings and files will be loaded in the folder. PalmOne reference link

Now, you can load and install your old settings back into the Palm, preferably one by one so that you know you won't get back to the same problem. The easiest way is to copy the prc and the pdb files from the old Backup folder under your old HotsyncID name to be installed. That saves having to go through the windows installation.

The most important files and databases you will likely install first are your Addressbooks and other main settings:

AddressCitiesDB.PDB, AddressCountriesDB.PDB, AddressDB.PDB all other Address PDB files, CitiesDB.PDB, DatebookDB.PDB, MemoDDB.PDB and others.

Since you have to have a working Power button to do the hard reset, I think it may be a good idea to prepare yourself in case one day your Power button no longer works and then, you can't do a hard reset (except by draining the battery completely). So, once you do a hard reset and it's in its default factory settings, back up your Palm settings with a backup software like BackupBuddy or BackupMan or other similar apps. So, when you do need to do a hard reset, you can easily just restore the Palm back to the default settings from the SD card just like if you only needed to restore the palm back from a previous backup archive. So, you now have a way to do a hard reset even when your Power button is broken.

++++++++

V - PALM DESKTOP SOFTWARE

Q: I've lost my software essentials CDs and need to re-install the Palm Desktop software

A: Download at Palm Desktop A wealth of information on the Zire 71 including links to software downloads, support, handbooks, etc is located here and here

Desktop Software CD1 contains the Palm Desktop software and Chapura PocketMirror software, which allows you to synchronize between the data on your MS Outlook and Palm. As you can see, it costs $29.95 to buy the software. More info on synchronizing Outlook with the Palm here

Most of the software on Software Essentials CD2 can be easily obtained over the internet since they're free. This includes: RealPlayer, AudiblePlayer, KinomaPlayer, PalmReader (now eReader), Phone Link updater, Telephony/SMS drivers

VersaMail, which is included in the CD, can be purchased from PalmOne here or you may wish to try other email applications like Snappermail which has more features.

The other software which are included in the CD are trial versions and require you to purchase it to use it beyond the trial limit include:

powerOne Personal Calculator

Solitaire

You can also order a replacement CD (I've heard it costs $15) from Palmone should you require the various application software that was included in the CD. You'll need to call up PalmOne with your Palm's serial number. Even paying $15 to get the CD is well worth it compared to paying twice the amount $29.95 to get Chapura Pocket Mirror.

++++++++

VI - BROKEN PALMS AND HOW TO OPEN YOUR ZIRE 71

Q: How do I take apart my Zire 71?

A: Check out these pages with pictures:

PDAInternalBattery, GetHighTech, Japanese page And the page translated: http://translate.google.com/transla...coff=1&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools There's also junglemike's posting

------

Q: Help! My glass screen is broken? What can I do?

A: Unfortunately, there are only very limited amount of resource available. Sorry to make it sound bad, but cracked screens are a very common occurence and most times, manufacturer's and extended warranties do not cover them. This is one area where preventitive maintenance, such as investing in screen protectors, hard shell cases come into play in preventing such an expensive repair or replacement.

If you are still under your Palm one year warranty, by all means, contact Palm to arrange to get it fixed. If you are within 90 days of the expiration of the warranty, you may want to get the extended warranty from GetHighTech. Apparently, the extended warranty covers ONE free screen replacement service. And GetHighTech charges only $9.99 for this extended warranty, which is much cheaper than the $125 that Palm charges for the repair.

First of all, you can contact your local PalmOne support center for the price on repairing it to get some idea on the cost so that you can compare it to other alternatives.

Then, try contacting PalmMedic.com to see if they can repair it for you. You may have to email them for quotes for the Zire 71 since it's not listed on their website. Or, if in Canada, try PalmMedicCanada Currently it cost C$179.99. Ouch! Maybe PalmMedic may still be cheaper. Or Palm Canada.

From time to time, PDAparts.com or GetHighTech.com (same company) offers replacement screens for the Zire 71. Also check their Ebay store here

You may want to contact Proporta even though they don't list screen repair for the Zire 71.

Or try this Ebay store which seems to offer quite a bit of replacement screens.

Or try contacting PDA Specialists and ask if they can help you.

Or check out this link with lots more links on helpful sites.

There's also UsedPDAParts which stock a lot of Palm parts including screens, digitizers, motherboards, batteries, etc.

And check out CheapPalm for parts and cheap prices on Palms.

So, depending on your budget and circumstances, you may want to buy another newer Palm instead of getting it fixed.

PALM PARTS

First, check out the stores and links I just previously discussed regarding the broken screens. Most of them will stock palm parts as well. Also, check out Unity Electronics for parts for the Zire 71. Although they don't currently list the screens for Zire 71, it doesn't hurt to contact them since they do offer many Palm parts.

And WholesalePDA

++++++++

VII - HOTSYNC PROBLEMS

Q: I can't Hotsync by pressing on the Hotsync button on the cradle.

A: If you find that you can't Hotsync via the Hotsync button on your cradle, you may be experiencing a deterioration of the internal cable. If you continue to keep opening and closing the camera, you will further damage the cable to a point where it completely breaks off and you can't use the Palm anymore. Check out these threads: here, here or maybe try junglemike's solution of soldering the cables yourself via this thread. Also check out PalmOne's page on Hotsync issues.

There is a way to launch the camera application without physically opening the camera every time and further damaging the internal cable. You must keep the camera permanently open so this may not be feasible for those who have hard shell cases or other cases that won't fit the Zire 71 with the extended camera. Check out this posting for more info. AT LAST! I've finally found a solution to keep using my Zire 71 with the camera and 3rd party camera apps without worrying about further damaging the internal cable. It took me a long time to find a solution but it's very satisfying.

In addition, you may be able to make a better connection on your Palm by bending the cradle clips, you know, those that look like < from the side towards you, with the "<" part pointing towards you. Or, in another way, bend the top part of the clip up so that the clip goes up slightly further. Basically, what you're doing is to try to make the clip clip the Palm better and improve the connection. Further info can be found at this thread

Also, for other Hotsync problems and solutions, check out PalmOne's knowledge base articles here here, here and here

++++++++

VIII - SCREEN WHINE

Q: My Palm is making a very annoying high pitched whine. How can I get rid of it?

A: This is a common problem that has plagued many Palm users (thankfully I'm not one of them). There are currently a few ways to try to fix it.

1 - Try junglemike's solution

2 - Try Dmitry Grinberg's warpSpeed which is an overclocker/underclocker app as well as fixing the screen whine noise.

Since it's an overclocker/underclocker app, you may be able to justify paying the $10.95 since you can conserve your Palm battery by underclocking your apps or overclocking it for better performance. And, you get rid of the screen noise.

3 - Try Clievideo's Lightspeed. Although it doesn't say that it fixes the screen whine, it is an over/underclocker, very much like warpSpeed and by underclocking, you may be able to get the applications to run at a slower speed, which may make the higher pitched hum to something lower and less irritating. Try this one if Dmitry's warpspeed doesn't work or causes problems. Of course, you should try to email Dmitry about your problems and see if he can fix it.

++++++++

IX - DIGITIZER

My Palm isn't detecting my taps correctly. Is there any way I can fix it?

A: Download and try Digifix This is a free digitizer correction/reset software and very popular. Another one, DigiE apparently fixes some digitizer problems that even DigiFix can't fix so you may want to check this one out. And this particular one has been called a must have T3 utility since it does fix a popular T3 digitizer problem. With DigiE, make sure once you calibrated the Palm to either move the prc file over to the card or delete it off the Palm or else the program tends to turn the Palm on at unexpected times, draining the battery. The pdb file if left in RAM doesn't seem to affect anything. Z-Digitizer is another free one as well as Digi, Digitest, Calibrate!, Recal.

There are others, but they aren't free. AutoDigi5 can be downloaded from Palmgear.

There's also SmartCell's SureTap, which saves your calibration settings and automatically re-calibrate the digitizer after each reset and also allowing you to offset the detection to accurately detect your taps when the Palm isn't doing so. This may also help, but at $18.21, it's not cheap, but still cheaper than replacing the digitizer screen.

If the screen isn't detecting your taps AT ALL, if you have a screen protector, remove it and see if it detects your stylus taps. Also, check around the edges of your glass display in between the casing for possible dust, debris, particles that may be dislodged. Use a piece of paper and try to slide it in the edge to hopefully clear out anything or use a paintbrush and try to clean that area. Most times, when the Palm "seemingly" isn't detecting your taps, it's because something is already touching the screen and the Palm is detecting that and won't be able to "detect" anything else until whatever is touching is stops touching it. So check that.

If it gets so bad that even the software isn't fixing it, you may have to replace the digitizer. Check with PDA Parts and other places where they offer repairs and Palm parts.

++++++++

X - DATEBOOK, CLOCKS, TIME, ALARMS

Q: What are some good datebook apps? The default datebook is horrible

A: Palmsource has a great page on the various datebook apps click here. Datebk5 and Agendus are the popular ones. Freeware wise, check out A5 and KsDatebook

------

Q: Can I install other alarm sounds on my Palm besides the default ones?

A: Yes, you can get a ton of cool sounding midi sounds for your alarm with GeekSounds, and best of all, it's free! Or, if you want more sounds (some Beatles and metal stuff including all the Geeksounds stuff), get Emerald Sounds

Once installed, you can change the midi alarm tones by going to your Datebook app, tapping on the Menu (top left hand corner), Options, Preferences, Alarm Preset, Alarm Sound. Then select whatever sound you want.

Unlike many other apps that you install, the Geeksounds or Emerald Sounds replaces the default System_MIDI_Sounds file so you won't be able to find it. You'll just notice that you've got a lot more midi sounds than you did before. Sometimes, hacks and certain apps will show up in the Prefs app rather than show up as an Unfiled app in your launcher.

If you have problems getting the extra midi sounds in your Palm, it may be because you may own a Palm in which English is not the default language. In that case, check out this thread

Unfortunately, for the default Palm Datebook, you can only choose one default alarm tone that will ring for every alarm in your Datebook. If you want to have different sounding alarms for different times and appointments, you'll need to either get a third party Datebook app like Datebk5 or Agendus or a clock or alarm app like BigClock (freeware) or WatchMaker (freeware) or Bob's Alarm

------

Q: My Palm time tends to drift or be off after a while. Is there an app that can fix it?

A: A freeware app that does it well is TimeCopy. It will synchronize the Palm clock during Hotsync to the PC's clock. You may want to update your PC clock too from time to time. 1ClickClockSync is a simple freeware Windows program that can synchronize your desktop clock that's also quite small in size.

There's also HandyDev's TimeSyncXT (also freeware) which is really a hotsync plugin that you don't really need to install on the Palm. And best of all, it will sync all your Palms.
    ++++++++

XI - STARTUP SCREENS

Q: Can I get a startup screen which shows my info on current tasks, battery, memory, etc?

A: Yes, you can get a cool looking background for your startup screen called called Today. And it's a freeware too. You can find lots of free skins for the Today program here

And there's another one called TodayPlus which has more features and has more of a Pocket PC feel to it but it is no longer freeware.

There's also 2day which has a weather plugin. Again, it's not freeware.

Agendus, a datebook application has a Today screen built in the program.

5. 106112909

106112909 Mobile Deity

Where have you found skins for today on freewarepalm.com? Have you found any way of searching this site?

6. Zire71dude

Zire71dude Mobile Evangelist

Don't you think that palm should incorperate the READ ME FIRST on the palm if self when it boots up. You won't beleive how many people don't read the manual and skip right on past to turning on the palm and saying "its a handheld, how stupid do u have to be to use one." I remember when I got my m505, i didn't even know how to turn it on with out the instructions. I had a cheap organizer before that. You just tapped the screen on the crappy handheld, but theres a button on the palm. So I just think in my own opinion that you SHOULD read the manuel before using it.

7. Jay-Tea

Jay-Tea Newbie

I am about to decide wether or not I should buy this instead of a new cellphone:confused: . I have yet to find out a few things and I need help::rolleyes:

1. Can it shoot videos? I mean, even just short ones like the Nokia 3650?

2. I came across a bluetooth expansion card in Palm website. Can this be used with Zire71?

3. Has anyone tried sending SMS through Zire71? Is it easy? How do you go about it?

Thanks to anyone who replies... :)

8. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

Originally posted by maceyr on 11-19-2003 09:50 AM
    A lot of the skins for Today can be found in the Graphics area:here EDIT. Now, they offer a Google search within their Freewarepalm site. Makes things a lot easier. Cool.
    I already answered #1 in a previous post in this thread.

No. The bluetooth card won't work on the Zire 71 because there currently isn't any drivers for the Zire 71. EDIT. There are now drivers that will work with the Wi-Fi card, but you have to get the correct one (SDWSDB-000-A10M). The drivers are in the CD that comes with the card. If you get a different card, it won't work.

No, I haven't tried sending SMS with the Zire 71 so I can't answer this.

9. 106112909

106112909 Mobile Deity

Gi

The Zire 71 cannot shoot video due to the fact that the shutter-speed of the camera is about 1s. Mind you, you can get interesting effects!

The Palm Bluetooth card will not work with the Zire 71 because there are no OS5 drivers for it. SanDisk has a Wi-Fi card that is supposed to work with OS5 devices but they keep pushing back the release of suitable drivers.

Sending SMS with the Zire 71 is very easy as it comes with an app for just that. All you do is write the SMS on the Zire and move it to an outbox; it will be sent the next time you connect to your phone. Also, the Zire 71 will download all SMS's in your phone's inbox and store them in its own.

Regards

Patrick

10. gp38

gp38 Mobile Enthusiast

Does the Zire charge or maintain the battery when in the cradle with the USB connected but NOT the charger?
    The cradle is a real PIA with the heavy power cord and and the USB cable:(