Zire 71 FAQ

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ignavia, Sep 10, 2003.

1. ignavia

ignavia Palm user since '98

Q: Help! My device keeps turning itself on in the case!

A: Disable Buttons 2.1
    ----------
    Q: My Zire 71 is making a popping/clicking sound every so often. Is this normal?

A: Normal? No. Ridiculously common? Unfortunately, yes. Palm is supposedly working on this.
    ----------
    Q: My device is emitting a high-pitched squealing sound. Is this normal?

A: No. This isn't nearly as common as the popping/clicking problem, but it's still grounds for replacement. If it doesn't bother you too much, I wouldn't worry about replacing it, but if it's loud enough to hear even with background noise, call Palm.
    ----------
    Q: My device has a big gap at the bottom. Is this normal?

A: Yes, it is simply due to manufacturing differences. Mine was pretty large originally, but has gradually closed to a little less than half its original size. I wouldn't worry about lint getting in there. I carry mine in a jeans pocket every day and I have lint everywhere, but it's never affected the funcioning of my device.
    ----------
    Q: My device won't recognize my SD card./My SD card is behaving strangely./I'm having other SD issues.

A: PalmOne has released a patch to fix several Zire 71 SD card issues. You can download it here.
    ----------
    Q: My navigator stick doesn't press all the way in one direction.

A: I returned my original device for this reason, but when my replacement had the same problem, I gave up. I found that if you press it really hard in that direction, it will kind of reset it and it will work fine for a while.
    ----------
    Q: Is there a way to put photos that you take with the camera into address book entries?

A: Yes, but it involves syncing them to the desktop first and using another program to do it.
    Address Album 1.3
    ----------
    Q: Where can I get a good leather case?

A: The most popular leather case seems to be the Bellagio.
    ----------
    Q: Where can I get a good hard case?

A: Proporta, Innopocket, or Rhinoskin
    ----------
    Q: Can I listen to mp3s without buying an expansion card?

A: Yes, but there's only one way. RAMDisk will emulate an expansion card in RAM itself. But since you only have, at most, 13MB, this isn't terribly useful.
    ----------
    Q: I'm transferring mp3s with the Quick Install app and it is SLOW!

A: Yeah, I would highly reccommend a card reader. This one from Amazon seems decent for under $20.
    ----------
    Q: When I'm listening to music, I can't get the volume loud enough.

A: Try Aeroplayer or Pocket Tunes. They both have volume overdrive, but this usually causes a great amount of distortion. You can also try some better headphones, or you can get an inline volume booster for your headphones.
    ----------
    Q: I can't fit very many mp3s onto my SD card. Any suggestions?

A: Don't use mp3. Use Ogg Vorbis. First of all, while Aeroplayer's and Pocket Tunes' mp3 features expire, they will both play Oggs indefinitely. But more importantly, you can get the same sound quality with oggs at a much lower bitrate, i.e. a much smaller file size.
    ----------
    Q: I never get a good connection with Universal Connector peripherals.

A: Yeah, this seems to be common. I don't know why, but apparently, the UC on the Z71 isn't quite as universal as the rest.
    ----------
    Q: My Zire71 Screen is too bright for reading in the dark, even at minimal setting. Is there a way to decrease the brightness?

A: Download bloff. Tap on the icon repeatedly to get different levels of brightness. The first tap turns off the backlight. Subsequent taps increase the brightness.
    ----------
    Q: Is there a way to zoom into photos taken by the built-in camera?

A: As long as you keep your photos on a card, you can use VFSI.
    ----------
    Q: Hot sync has stopped working.

A: Try these, in order...
    1.Use another USB port, if not then System Properties control panel Device manager tab to delete the USB settings marked "unknown USB", then use Refresh button or restart your computer.
    2. Close Hot Sync and then restart it with Hot Sync Manager.
    3. Check the conduits and 3rd party apps to make sure they are syncing correctly.
    4. Reinstall the Palm Desktop over your old copy, or use the 'Repair' feature to verify the old files.
    ----------
    Q: I hate the toothpick that came as a stylus for my Z71. Are there any nice replacements available?

A: Yes. Stylus Central's3 in 1, Pilot Chameleon One Universal, PDA Panache.
    ----------
    Q: Help! My device isn't responding to taps and I can't turn it off!

A: Are you using a screen protector? If so, and it goes under the edge of the frame, it may be pressing on the touch screen. The Palm is not capable of recognizing two differently placed taps, so it ignores all other taps. No screen protector? Perhaps the same thing is happening with a bit of dirt or other debris.
    ----------
    Q: I HATE Graffiti 2! Can I go back to Graffiti 1?

A: YES! You must have access to a device that uses G1. Then go read this article on PalmInfoCenter.
    ----------
    Q: Can I clean out my Palm, getting rid of all the junk files?

A: To clean out datebook entries, try dbScan. For more general solution, try Z'Catalog or shareware InWatch (use the PreClean option). Read the directions for any of these before using them!

For a complete cleanout, you can 'rebuild' your PDA by renaming or moving the backup file, doing a hard reset, then reinstalling programs one by one, using 'fresh' copies whenever possible.
    ----------
    Q: Do I need a screen protector?

A: It is a good idea?cheap insurance against scratches. There are a few commonly recommended types: reuseable/'slip-inbetween frame' type: PDAScreenProtectors.com and NuShield. Reuseable/adhesive type: Brando and Boxwave Clear Touch Cheap ($5.00)- FSP

You can search the web or PDA sites for information on other brands, 'do-it-yourself' protectors, etc.
    ----------
    Q: I just installed a keyboard and now the refresh rate of the "viewfinder" is really slow.

A: This is normal. If you disable the keyboard driver, it will return to normal, but keep in mind that this doesn't at all affect the quality of the final photo. You can also try an updated driver.
    ----------
    Q: Does the Zire 71 have Flash ROM?

A: No. More correctly, the US version does not. Overseas versions have flash to support multiple languages, but it's not very much. As a result, no, you cannot delete the built-in apps or replace them with anything else.
    ----------
    Q: Is the Zire upgradable to OS6?

A: NO, NO, NO! I don't care what you've heard, or who told you what. Even if you have a European device which DOES have flash ROM, you CANNOT upgrade the OS.
    ----------
    Q: Are there any Bluetooth SD cards for the Z71?

A: No, though Palm claims to be developing either drivers for their current card or a whole new card.
    ----------
    Q: Are there any Wi-fi SD cards for the Z71?

A: No, but there are several manufacturers who should have their cards out very soon. Hagiwara was the first to announce a card, but there's no mention of it on their site. SanDisk has already released their card ($129), but there are no Palm-compatible drivers; they say OS5 drivers are coming in November. They are also working on a Wi-fi+256MB SD card.
    ----------
    Q: How do I do a soft/warm/hard reset?

A: Check the Brighthand reset FAQ here.
    ----------
    Q: I need to take my Z71 apart for one reason or another. How do I do it?

A: In case it isn't obvious, doing this will void your warranty...

The screws for the Z71 are hidden under the sticker on the back. Stupid, huh? Once you remove the four screws, you can pry off the piece that is around the shutter button. With that gone, there's nothing to stop the blue half when you slide it back down, so it'll slide right off. There's a ribbon cable to detatch, but a couple blasts of air and you should be good as new.

Good luck getting the sticker back on.

Q: Can the Zire's camera record movies?

A: For a long time, the answer was no, but now it can, using software called the Zire Movie Maker. It's currently in beta, and the movies can't be synced to the PC, but now we know that the functionality is there.

2. Bi99uy

Bi99uy Mobile Consultant

Well, actually you CAN listen to music without using an external card. I was using for a very limited time a program that "emulated" an sd card using the memory that was avaible in the main memory. However it is quite little space you can use, about 10 mb isn?t much for music, but the option exist?s... I will try to figure out the name of the app later...

3. ignavia

ignavia Palm user since '98

Interesting... I hadn't heard of that. I don't recall anyone mentioning it before.

4. dkhaw

dkhaw Mobile Evangelist

OK, I'll add to the FAQ list:

(1) My Zire71 Screen is too bright for reading in the dark, even at minimal setting. Is there a way to decrease the brightness?

Yes. This was original posted by filaan. Download the freeware bloff at http://www.net-cell.com/bricenter/bloff.prc
    Tap on the icon repeatedly to get different levels of brightness. The first tap turns off the backlight. Subsequent taps increases the brightness.

(2) Is there a way to zoom into photos taken by the built-in camera?

Yes use the freeware VFSI. Download it at http://www.freewarepalm.com/graphics/vfsi.shtml
    The photos have to be residing on a SD card for this to work.

That's all for now.

5. Vill

Vill Mobile Deity

This should stick to the top of the forum...very informative for those who are new to the forum. Can't think of any common questions raised so far that isn't touched...

Ryvil

6. madkins007

madkins007 Mobile Deity

Q: Hot sync has stopped.

A: Try these, in order...
    1. Close Hot Sync and then restart it with Hot Sync Manager.
    2. Check the conduits and 3rd party apps to make sure they are syncing correctly.
    3. Reinstall the Palm Desktop over your old copy, or use the 'Repair' feature to verify the old files.
    4. Use Start/Settings/System/Hardware Manager to delete the USB settings, then restart your computer.

Q: How can I deal with orphan or damaged files?

A: If it is the datebook, try www.pimlicosoftware.com's 'dbScan'. For more general solution, try freeware Zarf Catalog or shareware InWatch (www.stacworks.com- use the PreClean option). Read the directions for any of these before using them!

OR 'rebuild' your PDA by renaming or moving the backup file, doing a hard reset, then re-loading programs one by one, using 'fresh' copies whenever possible.

Q: Do I need a screen protector?

A: It is a good idea, cheap insurance. There are a few commonly recommended types: reuseable/'slip-inbetween frame' install- www.pdascreenprotectors.com G2's and www.nushield.com. Reuseable/adhesive install- shop.brando.com.hk and www.boxwave.com. Cheap- www.freescreenprotectors.com

You can search the web or PDA sites for information on other brands, 'do-it-yourself' protectors, etc.

Others would include how to make music work, etc.

You think we can persuade Brighthand to create an FAQ section for the 71?

(edited 9-11 for correct URLs)

7. Vill

Vill Mobile Deity

8. BluePalms

BluePalms Mobile Deity

The mods should make this a sticky thread

9. Bi99uy

Bi99uy Mobile Consultant

10. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Now if they could just come up with a card that emulated RAM.......