Zire 31 & Hotsync vs Desktop

Discussion in 'Palm' started by LadyDi, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyDi

LadyDi Newbie

Ok, sorry if I'm in the wrong spot, my first post! Working with a Zire 31. Sync'd fine for longest time. Upgraded PC to Office 2003. Then Local USB connection was lost. Error msg: Couldn't connect.... After many attempts to uninstall and reinstall, and stalking this blog, Last night I uninstalled, deleted all registry references and reinstalled. I took your advise, DO NOT SYNC during install. Install went smooth, HOTSYNC WORKED! :p Now, I can't launch Desktop. :confused: It shows the Palm logo and looks like the screen is populating, but task manager shows the desktop app is not responding. This morning, I did try to download the latest version, 414e on top of the palm software to no avail. I am running Win XP Prof, but not x64. Not sure what else to try, just keep uninstalling and reinstalling until Christmas? My user would sure like her palm back. Also, she does sync successfully at home everynite, also a Win XP machine. All attempts are greatly appreciated! :newpalm:
    Thank you,
    Lady Di

2. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand LadyDi.

Installation of Palm Desktop must be performed with the following conditions met:

1. User who will be Hotsyncing is the only person logged onto computer and has Windows Admin priveleges.
    2. No other apps should be running, especially firewall and antivirus.

If I had to guess, the install was performed using Admin's Logon. Please promote your user for the install and first sync. If any third-party applications having their own Hotsync Conduit or associated desktop application will be used, these should also be installed while the user is promoted. Once syncing, access to Palm Desktop and any associated desktop application are confirmed functional, you may demote user to usual profile.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Welcome to Brighthand LadyDi.

Let us know how it goes after you follow DT's directions.

4. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, LadyDi. Let us know how you get on.

5. LadyDi

LadyDi Newbie

Thank you all! I apologize, I should have stated that I did verify my user had admin rights, I did the install under username, not a seperate admin acct. There are no 3rd party apps here, just plain old palm. I will have to double check but I was sure I had stopped virus and firewall. Will try that again and let you know. Thank you again for your quick response. I'm a one man IT dept so I will get back to her as soon as possible.
    Thank you again,
    Lady Di

6. LadyDi

LadyDi Newbie

Thank you all! Here is what I did: Remove Palm software. Remove Registry entries. Turn off anti-virus software. Load Palm from CD, skip hotsync. Brings up Palm logo, I hope I can... Software no respondo... Remove software, ensure virus still off. Deleted entries from registry. Loaded Palm from latest version available online. Skipped Hotsync. Launched DESKTOP! : ) Danced with enduser, beamed with glee as she successfully sync handheld for 1st time in months! Thank you so much! Once I loaded software and saw the Local USB option was available, I knew she'd be able to sync the handheld. The next chore was to launch Palm successfully, I get anti-virus must have blocked something somewhere! Thank you one more time! Lady Di!

7. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

You're welcome. Thanks for reporting your actions and results as they could help another "one-man" IT Department down the road.

8. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

So glad I could help.