Zire 21 Sync fails after Desktop opened

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by BuckeyeInWI, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeInWI

BuckeyeInWI Newbie

Palm Desktop 4.1.4
    HotSync 4.0.4
    Zire 21 w/ Palm OS 5.2.1
    Windows XP
    USB cable

Palm Desktop and HotSync were installed on a new Windows XP install with all MS-Recommended patches applied. I did a hard reset on the Palm, because I did not know what data was on it and it was almost certainly out of date. Only 2 entries were in the Address Book: Accessories and Technical Support.

I click the HotSync (star) icon on the device, get the beeps and then a prompt to select the user. I select the only one that exists and then get this message:

Palm Desktop
    Error: failed to open Contacts database. A new empty database was created and the original database file was renamed to C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\address\address.001.dat.

Here is the HotSync log.

HotSync operation started 09/05/07 21:29:02
    OK Expense
    OK Note Pad
    OK Date Book
    -- Address Book
    - Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
    Desktop = 0, Handheld = 2
    Address Book synchronization failed
    -- To Do List
    - Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
    Desktop = 0, Handheld = 2
    To Do List synchronization failed
    OK Memo Pad
    OK Quick Install
    -- Backing up db AddressCitiesDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\AddressCitiesDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db AddressCompaniesDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\AddressCompaniesDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db AddressCountriesDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\AddressCountriesDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db Saved Preferences to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\Saved_Preferences.PRC
    -- Backing up db AddressStatesDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\AddressStatesDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db AddressTitlesDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\AddressTitlesDB.PDB
    OK System
    HotSync operation complete 09/05/07 21:29:13

This was done with the Palm Desktop open on my PC. I exited Palm Desktop, deleted the folder C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB and re-tried - success!

HotSync operation started 09/05/07 21:53:59
    OK Expense
    OK Note Pad
    OK Date Book
    OK Address Book
    OK To Do List
    OK Memo Pad
    OK Quick Install
    -- Backing up db ConnectionMgr50DB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\ConnectionMgr50DB.PDB
    -- Backing up db NetworkDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\NetworkDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db locLCusLocationDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\locLCusLocationDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db AddressCitiesDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\AddressCitiesDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db AddressCompaniesDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\AddressCompaniesDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db AddressCountriesDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\AddressCountriesDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db psysLaunchDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\psysLaunchDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db Graffiti ShortCuts to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts.PRC
    -- Backing up db System MIDI Sounds to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\System_MIDI_Sounds.PDB
    -- Backing up db Saved Preferences to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\Saved_Preferences.PRC
    -- Backing up db AddressStatesDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\AddressStatesDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db AddressTitlesDB to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\AddressTitlesDB.PDB
    -- Backing up db Queries to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\Backup\Queries.PDB
    OK System
    HotSync operation complete 09/05/07 21:54:01

I open the Palm Desktop and see the two entries in the Contacts window. I close the Palm Desktop and try again. Back to the previous errors in the log and when I open the Palm desktop:

Palm Desktop
    Error: failed to open Contacts database. A new empty database was created and the original database file was renamed to C:\Program Files\palmOne\HulseB\address\address.002.dat.

Further testing reveals that I can update records on the Zire 21 and synch as many times as I'd like. After running the Palm Desktop, synchronization always fails. I've also tried disabling anti-virus, with no affect.

Any ideas?

TIA,
    Brian

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

If a new installation of Win XP and the first installation of the Palm Desktop to this Win XP system, there should not be any users listed.

If you hard reset the Zire21, then for first hotsync, you would be prompted to create a user name. The problem maybe associated tothe user name already present.

If during the desktop install you are asked to create a user name, I often suggest making a dummy account, then on first hotsync actually input the user name desired for that handheld.

It is possible to create a new user on the desktop, then delete the present user that is causing your pain.

Then hard reset the handheld and select this new user name from the list.

It seems that you maybe syncing your trouble between the two platforms.

Otherwise, a fresh install is suggested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.