Zire 21 datebook lost

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by Jerry_NJ, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Well, this time my desktop lost the datebook without any active interface with the Zire21 itself. This was discussed earlier this month under the subject line:
    "Zire 21 datebook lost on Hot Sync"

I went into the file system, in my computer under "palmone" and even the .bak file was several days old, so it looks like the .bak doesn't get updated automatically, maybe only on a shutdown of the palm desktop. Well this time I had a datebook .dat file only a week old I could bring back, and did. In any case, it seems there is something amiss with the Palm Destop software, or with it running on a Gateway Notebook. I never had this problem when I had the Palm Desktop on my previous HP notebook, it was in use for about three years. :eek:

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

The datebook is only going to get an updated .bak file after a successful Hotsync is run. If you've been making entries to Palm Desktop on the PC, it's recommended that you Save before closing the Desktop application each time, just for insurance. Then the entries will be in the main file and will transfer & backup at the next Hotsync.

It sounds like you don't Hotsync regularly, if the backup was a week old. Daily is best if possible. :)

3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks, that sounds about right, I haven't done a sync with the hand held in a couple of weeks, I haven't been doing a lot of travel lately, and it was a hot sync that caused me to lose the datebook .dat about a month ago. On that occasion my last off-line backup was over a month old, but still better than nothing. I will do more backup and perhaps more syncs after the backup. In any case, this is a "new" problem I didn't experience on my last notebook. I may have downloaded the latest desktop form Palm when I put the current notebook into service. But, as I haven't read any others with a similar problem I think it is not a problem related to the Desktop Software itself.

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

In most cases it's best to use the Palm Desktop that is on the Installation CD that came with the device. Online downloaded versions are more generic, without the "extras" that are included with purchase of device, lacking Photos capability, for example.

5. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Hum, interesting. Unlike drivers where one is advised to keep up-to-date driver software, support software for the hand held best if specifically for the model. Makes sense, but never occurred to me, sure other readers of this thread may be similarly benefited. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.