Z22 Outlook Sync issue

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by rickertk, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickertk

rickertk Newbie

Hello,

FIrst post here. I bought a Zire21 a couple of years ago, but it died recently. So I upgraded to the Z22. For the most part, it's working very nicely, but there's one thing that's kind of weird about syncing with outlook on my work PC, and it's bugging me.
    If I set up an event myself, all is well behaved. However, when I get meetings sent from others, two things seem to happen with them. 1) The meeting changes (on my Outlook calendar) to being organized by me, and 2) the meeting changes within Outlook to show my time as free. Obviously this requires two syncs, one to put the meeting on the Z22 in the first place and on the second sync is when things change. This never used to happen with the Zire21 (which is why I posted here and not in the general Sync forum).

My first suspicion is that because I was also syncing with my home computer (a Mac), that that was playing havoc with things. However, I'm no longer syncing the calendar at home, and I've had this happen between two syncs with the PC at work (home computer not involved in between). The only thing I'm doing with the calendar in between the two syncs is changing the category on the event - any experience with that messing up appointments in Outlook? (I'm a little hard pressed to experiment more fully here, as trying anything new requires someone else to send me a meeting, which doesn't happen everyday).

Keith

Edited to add: I've now found a couple of threads that talked about the issue, but not with much resolution. I'm trying one thing (changing one of the .ini file entries), and if I have to I can live with not changing stuff on the Palm.

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

The Z21 does not provide calendar catagories. The Z22 with extended PIM apps does.

Outlook does not work well with events that have been reassigned categories if both catagories are not present on both Outlook and Palm, spelled identical, cap sensitive. (actually have never played with categories and calendar on the Palm, but have had trouble as described with ToDos, and contacts, often items moved to UNFILED due to category incompatiblities)

Also, if the meeting event is a repeat without end date assigned, additional problems could be experienced as well with the Palm Outlook conduits.

3. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hello rickertk, Welcome to BrightHand :D:D:D

As a side note, I suggest you contact Brian via PM to have the part after the @ sign removed from your username. Otherwise spam bots will have fun picking up your mail address and start bombing you ...

Just a remark ...

4. rickertk

rickertk Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to play around with the categories in Outlook to see if that will make things work reasonably. (My alternative is to A followup question: Is there anything I can do to change the color of the Unfiled category on the Palm? )

Keith

5. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

No, the category UNFILED is a OS default and is not listed as a category that can be edited.

6. rickertk

rickertk Newbie

Thanks again, changing the Categories inside Outlook seems to not break the associations (and have appts. show in a visible color on the Palm).

Keith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.