Z10's sync with Outlook; outlook on RIM's sale

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by GoodPDAuser, Sep 1, 2013.

1. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

According to BlackBerry 10 Link USB Sync to Outlook Coming Soon! (Confirmed) - BerryReview, RIMS's 2-way link doesn't cover Tasks and Notes, and CompanionLink requires the cloud. Just wondering if the RIM solution has progressed to address the deficiency. The Z10 was my planned solution until I ran into this information about syncing with Outlook.

Also, a friend of mine who works in the infrastructure business says that my concerns about the future of the device is warranted now that RIM is (apparently) going to be sold. Thanks to anyone who can share their perspective on this.

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I'm not sure what you mean by Companion Link requiring the cloud. I don't have a BB so I can't say from experience, but they seem to offer direct USB sync just like they do on every other platform.

Direct Sync to BlackBerry 10 with DejaHub - CompanionLink Knowledge Base.

They offer their own cloud option for people who want cloud access but would rather not use Google, but they do not require it.

Whether it is an ideal solution or not, I can't tell you. It works great on Android, but I have no experience on the BB platform. You might go to their forum and ask questions.

3. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Thanks, Hook. Your response prompted me to research further. My comment on CompanionLink requiring the cloud is based on comments on the BerryReview page cited in my original post. Specifically:

"CompanionLink. Problem solved...Not true... Your Contacts and
    Calender are on their Cloud not safe and secure on your on PC in
    addition to the other known issues"

There was no response to this comment, as far as I could tell. However, I believe that it is based on a misconception. The CompanionLink page Sync BB10 with Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes -- CompanionLink Software says:

Option A: Direct USB sync to BB10 Hub Contacts, Calendar, and
    Remember apps

If you didn't know what a Remember app is (and didn't care), then it would seem that "complete Outlook-like experience" applied only to Option B (presumably non-USB), where that phrase is used. Hence, you might conclude that the complete list at the top of the page (Categories, Notes, Tasks, Task Priorities) applied only if you chose Option B. Of course, Option B is *also* described as applying to Contacts, Calendar, and "Remember apps", but that's not til later. I can easily imagine how people uninterested in the wireless option and frustratedly searching for the USB option would not read that far down Option B.

This possible confusion is cleared up in this CompanionLink page: Sync Outlook with BlackBerry - CompanionLink Blog.

Based only on what I've been able to find online, however, I'm still uncertain about CompanionLink with BB10. A comment at CompanionLink Announces BlackBerry 10 Outlook Sync Support over USB & Wi-FI - BerryReview says "It has never worked well" and I'm trying to find other anecdotes. Mostly, I find complaints about its necessity.

I did indeed post on a blackberry forum but the only response was that the blackberry Link has been out for months. However, the initial release was only partially functional. Nothing about whether the next step of 2-way full link covering all of calendar, notes, and contacts was released. I haven't been able to find any sign of this on the web, just old threads complaining about its absence, and exhorting Blackberry to make the full sync available promptly.

4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I meant to go to the Companion Link forum. They are pretty helpful (if sometimes slow to answer). Companion Link isn't perfect --what is. If you have a nostalgic glow around Palm being so easy to use, go back and read through the old Palm sync forums here-- and there are a lot of variables in any machine to machine sync, but CL does pretty well and they fix things quickly. Remember, people generally post about things going wrong. They don't post about how wonderfully everything worked.

Don't rely on a BlackBerry forum to try to figure out someone else's software. ;)

DejaOffice for BlackBerry (DJOB) - BlackBerry 10 OS / BlackBerry Playbook OS

I'm not pushing CL. I like it, but I'm not connected to them in any way. Works great for me on Android, but I have no idea about BB.

I also have no opinion about BB's future, although I think you are right to be concerned about it. All of these issues you raise are worth considering.

5. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Good idea, trying a CompanionLink forum. About this glow around Palm, that's not why I posted. I'm trying to get a picture about what to expect in terms of non-cloud synchronization. I'm not *relying* on a blackberry forum to figure out CompanionLink's software, but it's not an inappropriate place to ask about it when it was a very big deal in blackberry circles recently. If people are willing to share their experience on this, great, and if not, then they don't. Hopefully, this falls within the purpose of the forum.

Also I understand that people tend to post about dissatisfactions, but based on the threads that I cited alone, they also tend to give credit where it is due (such as for the Blackberry 10 in general, if only it weren't for the sync issues). There were pointers to CompanionLink as a solution, but no testimonials apart from the negative one. Perhaps the CompanionLink forum can fill in this gap.

Since I found no indication of the existence of the fully functional Blackberry Link, I thought it would be simple for anyone who has seen such a Link to confirm its existence on a Blackberry forum. So far, it looks like it's still an unknown (or rather, as I tend to interpret it, no evidence of its existence until such time as such evidence is encountered, speaking from a personal perspective).

Thanks for your perspective on the sanity of worrying about the future of the Blackberry 10 platform. For you or anyone else who remembers such a case, do examples of such a change in owner come to mind, along with the fate of popular platforms?