YouTube Downloader

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by EdmundDantes, Nov 5, 2020.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Does it not grab the 1080p file? I agree with you that 720p is fine, but i was curious.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

My sample video only had 720 as a max resolution even when viewing through the website. I've not had need to try again yet to check 1080.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Edmund, in case you're still lokking for a downloader, I use Tubemate to download from Youtube and other sources. It's an Android app, not available in the Play Store, so it must be sideloaded. It works very well for my needs, and does download in 1080p or lower resolutions. In fact, the user can select both video and audio quality for the download. It can work with some 3rd-party converters too.

4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Raspy - that is what my IT friend only uses & what I have used across the years. I had not put it on my Moto G Stylus yet so I did so on Saturday & downloaded a video at 1080 quality to use on Sunday. It is so easy to use - I can even use it!

The first time you use it the App will notify you that you have to download a MP3 App & directs you to one in the Play Store. I download it with confidence because my friend is very careful about what he uses.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  5. headcronie

Tubemate doesn't pass my sniff test. Looks to me like there are far too many people with their hands in your online activities. See here: http://tubemate.net/help/policy.jsp?=en

This gives me additional pause, though the validity of such statements isn't anything I can prove or disprove. https://medium.com/@janardhana.s/ar...-beware-of-these-hidden-secretes-baaa0a09e4b5

And lastly, if it is worth using, you would think it would be picked up by sites like Android Police, Android Central, XDA, among others. As it's just peppered across the interwebs with download mirrors... it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

You're free to use what you'd like of course.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  6. raspabalsa

That really sucks... I thought Tubemate was banned from the Play Store because of its intended purpose of downloading from YouTube. I admit I don't understand half of what the article in the second link above says, but it doesn't sound good. At least I have't logged under Tubemate to any of the sites I've downloaded from. I wonder if Adguard is of some help since it protects against phishing and tracking.

I think I'll stop downloading videos of funny cats, shuffle dancing, and mountain bikes, until I have a different solution. Thanks for the heads-up, HC!

scjjtt, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

I just got an update on Easy Youtube Downloader, and it seems like it now supports 1080p without any additional fee or contribution (although I will contribute once I verify that it works). I just got the update so haven't tried it yet.

I also sometimes use Flash Video Downloader, because it works on other sites like Vimeo and other sites with embedded players, although not Youtube (anymore). It helps me grab miscellaneous stuff, although I've found that if the video you want is very large it often fails during the 'saving' stage, even if the download looks complete. I was trying to grab a video of a live theater performance (similar to ones I've captured before), which kept failing, I think because of the size issue.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    scjjtt, RickAgresta and headcronie like this.
  8. raspabalsa

I found another way to grab Youtube videos on my phone: I simply play the video fullscreen and record the screen. I make sure the video is played in HD, and sometimes (usually during work hours) I turn "Do not disturb" on to avoid having notifications or calls interrupting. Samsung's screen recorder is very good, and lets you select audio input: media (whatever is being played), microphone, both, or neither. I can crop the video later if needed.

9. EdmundDantes

Short update: For some reason, I was able to use Easy Youtube Downloader to grab 1080p videos for a few days after the updatge, but now it's back to a pay-to-upgrade. I think if I'm going to pay, I'd rather have DownloadHelper instead, since it often works on other sites. But of course the same old issues apply: the ratings for it are all over the place, with some people saying they paid and don't get the upgrade and that the add-on doesn't work. It also bugs me that they charge (percentage-wise) substantially more in dollars then euros and I don't think I trust any of the payment options. If they had Paypal, I'd do it, I think.

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  10. headcronie

I've been happily using YouTube-DL, and even even used it today to snag a news clip for the Mrs. It wasn't available via CBS News YouTube channel, so I pointed YouTube-DL toward a page on www.cbsnews.com and it snagged it from there. The name of the program bears no limitation on where it can grab video files from. It's quite amazing at how it just works. I'm quite happy with it. Download Helper could not get the same file for me, without paying for the addon.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.