YouTube Downloader

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by EdmundDantes, Nov 5, 2020.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Does anyone here use a browser extension to download videos, primarily from YouTube? For years, I used Video DownloadHelper on Firefox, but YouTube changed things, so it typically won't download audio. VDH offers a paid version, that MAY allow me to download some videos with audio and without the watermark; but there seems to be a significant split in the user reviews, suggesting it either works well or doesn't work. I don't mind spending the money, but am leery of the whole setup. Some people pay and don't get registered and some say it doesn't work on YouTube anyway.

I've tried a few others and they don't seem to work either. There was one that was promising, but I think I messed up the setup somehow. It's called YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (Dev Edt.). There was some adjunct audio processor that didn't seem to install or work properly.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I've run into the same issue.

My workaround so far, has been to use VDH in Firefox on Android. You can grab videos there that you can't grab on a regular desktop browser.

I don't have a better alternative at the moment.

3. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I've been using "Easy Youtube Video Downloader" It's worked very well for me for high quality video and audio. Very simple. There is a paid "Pro" version for higher quality downloads but IIRC it's only like $10.

4. EdmundDantes

Thanks guys, those are 2 really good options worth trying.

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. headcronie

I just came to realize that with the update to Firefox on Android, that VDH isn't available as an addon. Well... that stinks... It was, before Firefox got a major revision update. Boo...

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I just came across an extension which is recommended by Mozilla, compared to one with the disclaimer
    [​IMG]
    Although I've only used it for a couple of videos, it seems to work well enough. A screenshot of the user interface shows that (for this video, at least) there are quite a few options to pick from. Importantly only the first actually downloads the complete video file (audio and, uh, video) -- all the others are audio or video, not both in one file.
    upload_2020-11-15_21-21-34.png upload_2020-11-15_21-22-59.png
    Depending on what your goal is, you may not want the complete file. anyway, the link is below. Once installed, it'll show up on the Firefox toolbar, by default.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fi...la.org&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=search

EDIT: THIS is for the PC, not Android

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  7. headcronie

8. headcronie

Just gave it a go... good grief... couldn't be any easier...

upload_2020-11-16_16-9-10.png

9. EdmundDantes

That looks like a great option, but I'm not sure I'm sophisticated enough to figure out how it works. That screen grab above shows the files, but not the process. I can certainly play with all those settings though to find out how to extract what I want (which is usually the 1080p video+audio file). It also mentions needing a python interpreter, which I don't think I have (but can probably get).

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  10. headcronie

I don't have anything Python installed on the system I used that on. I simply grabbed the exe for Windows, set the command and the URL and away I went. Yeah, 1080 would be nice... but 720 isn't terrible... I've not played around with it since then as I've not yet had need to. Figuring out 1080 would be a bonus at this point.

By the way, that screen grab the only thing I entered in is .\youtube-dl.exe https://www.youtube.com/wtch?v=qSX_vB2bBUc
    Every other line there was automatic and the resulting file ended up in my downloads. Cut and paste the address after the exe command and that's it.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.