Your most unusual app??

Discussion in 'Palm' started by txdtsoll, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

So does Plucker :)

2. mansfield

mansfield Palm Enthusiast

HellClock. Displays the time and the number of days until Halloween with lightning and demon skulls in the background. Not very compatible with Palm 5, though.

3. gizmogeezer

gizmogeezer Mobile Deity

Satellite Tracking with a Palm

Here is one of those applications that will probably do nothing for you except allow you to show off. The program is called Pocket Sat+ and is a satellite tracking program. It can be found at www.qsl.net/va3pkh/palm-ham.html.

I use it to keep tabs on the ISS or international space station. When this program tells you that the satellite is coming overhead you can look up on a clear evening and in all probability you will see the space station streak across the sky. It goes from horizon to horizon in about 8 to 10 minutes and is quite bright.

The program itself is shareware and if not registered it restricts you to looking at only 5 satellites at a time, and it runs slightly slower than the registered unlocked program. Like most palm programs a registered program is about $25. The unregistered version works just fine for this application.

The ISS is shown on a map of the world with your location marked with a circle indicating the coverage area.

What you will need to make the program work for you is your latitude and longitude which you can get from a GPS unit and your time zone. After that information is entered you will need updated satellite information. This data base is available from www.amsat.org under the box labeled "keps" This refers to the keplerian elements, the mathematical reference points that the program uses to make the calculations. They are available on this web site in PDB format and are usually updated about every 2 weeks or so. The data base actually contains the information for about 50 satellites, most of which are too small to see with the naked eye. The ISS is just HUGE.

If you’re a geek type and own a radio scanner you might hear the digital tones that hams are using to transmit packet messages "through" the ISS and back to ground. It's something like having an antenna 250 miles up. Listen on 145.80 when they come overhead.

I run this problem on my Zire 72 and on my TX without any problems. It only runs in a 320 by 320 window and has not been updated in a long time. So far it has not caused me any problems.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Ken the gizmogeezer

4. art_dodger

art_dodger Palm-a-lama-ding-dong

5. dogbarber

dogbarber No one in particular...

Boy yer openin' a can a' worms there.......:D :eek:

6. nerdeff

nerdeff Mobile Enthusiast

7. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

I've still got it somewhere. It made me laugh. :)

8. Tweedman

Tweedman Private Dick/Family Man

Tricorder:

Fun little app that turns your Palm into a Star Trek: The Next Generation tricorder. You can customize the "readings" it gives you back. And makes that cool tricorder sound.

[​IMG]

9. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Thanks gizmogeezer - a very useful description of the app and how to get set up. I downloaded the app some time ago but was unclear what else I could do with it and had no idea how to get the satellite data. I've re-downloaded and shall try it out tonight. A real pity about the 320 x 320 screen, though.

Edit: I have since installed. I have found, after my briefest of flings with it, that it seems to crash my T5 when I run it from my SD card but is fine when run from RAM. Time will tell if it works 100% from RAM.

10. RBenen

RBenen Mobile Enthusiast

And how can anyone live without the BOFH Excuse Calendar?

http://spacepants.org/src/bofhcal/index.html, or the attached zip file.

(This is a bit old, but works fine on my TX. Today's excuse, "The vendor put the bug there.")

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.