You can already buy the first foldable smartphone in the world, but not from Samsung or Huawei

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, Nov 1, 2018.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Interesting that the images only show it folding screen out. Clamshell protection would be a nice thing to have in smartphones.

I'm glad you posted this. It'll be nice to see what unknown-unknowns come with folding displays by observing a few generations. We can guess, particularly one that only folds out would break more often, but what kind of normal wear and tear can it really take? Years ago corning intro'd a flexible glass called Willow years ago anticipating flexible displays. I haven't actually heard it associated with any of the flexible concepts yet, so I wonder whether there's a competing product. Might something like willow actually survive normal falls better than gg by virtue of giving rather than breaking?

3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

One of the things I miss most with smartphones is the loss of the folding clamshell. As a phone, that was a great form-factor, but obviously not ideal for smartphones.

scjjtt and Mi An like this.