XV6700 USB Tethered (EV-DO) and Voice

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by jchardeman, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jchardeman

jchardeman Mobile Enthusiast

Folks --

Had success this morning in connecting my laptop to Internet via tethered USB connection w/ XV6700 ... connection showed 240.4 kbps ... speed test showed 786 kbps down / 86 kbps up on EV-DO (metro Atlanta, GA)

Some folks on another forum have had a question as to whether or not a tethered data connection would disable voice ... and the short answer is NO. I called my phone while tethered ... the phone rang and I was able to carry on a voice conversation. Data services, however, were interrupted ... but resumed when I hung up the voice call.

The more I use this device, the more I love it!

Just thought y'all would like to know ...

Jim
    Decatur, GA

2. JK27

JK27 Mobile Deity

Would you mind sharing any threads or websites which explain how to do this (tether the xv6700 to a laptop). Thanks much!

3. jchardeman

jchardeman Mobile Enthusiast

Sure, but it's easier for me to just walk you through the procedure.

First, get your "Getting Started" CD that came w/ your phone. You'll see a folder called "OEM", and inside it, a folder called "APPS". Inside that folder, you'll see a "Drivers" folder, and inside it, a folder called "CDMA USB Modem".

There are three files in this directory ... an EXE, a DOC file, and an INF file (driver). Copy these into a directory on your hard drive (I used C:/CDMA). You can then remove the CD.

Second, you need to turn on dial-up networking (DUN) on the XV6700. Follow the procedure below:

1. Go to the PHONE application
    2. ##3328873
    3. enter code 000000
    4. Select BT DUN
    5. Click Edit
    6. Choose enable
    7. Select WMODEM
    8. Click Edit
    9. Choose enable
    10. Push Save / OK
    11. Push Ok
    12. follow the prompt to restart your device

(You now have DUN turned on for both Bluetooth and tethering)

Third, using File Explorer on your phone, navigate to the WINDOWS directory and scroll down to WMODEM and run it. You'll have to close any other applications that might be trying to perform a data connection (Wireless Sync being the primary bad actor). Connect the USB cable to your phone and your computer, and the "new hardware detected" process should start. Point the install procedure at the INF file in your C:/CDMA that you installed earlier. You should, at long last, get a "your hardware has successfully been installed" message.

Last, navigate to the CDMA directory on your computer, and run the CDMA USB Modem Dialer.exe application. When you fire it up, you'll need to enter a username and password as follows:

User Name: XXXXXXXXXX@vzw3g.com where XXXXXXXXXX is your wireless #
    Password: vzw

Hit "Dial" and you should be connected.

That's it, you should be good to go. From this point on, any time you want to establish a tethered connection, all you need to do is run WMODEM on your phone and CDMA USB Modem Dialer on your PC, enter the password and hit "Dial".

Enjoy!

Jim

4. aamon17

aamon17 Newbie

I just bought my 6700 & this works perfectly! I'm connected @ 230.4 kbps & I'm not in an EVDO area. Can't wait to get to Chicago next week & try it there.

Thanks again! :D

5. mklacy

mklacy Newbie

hi, i tried the procedure except my phoone does not have the wmodem folder or app, so i downloaded it seperatly and placed it on the cellphone, it says that it is not a valid pocket pc applications, otehrwise i already enabled the BT DUN and Wmodem by dialing the ## number

i would really appreciate some assistance

peace,
    mike k

6. mikebatko

mikebatko Newbie

Help!!!!!!!!

Hi, I followed the procedures, but made a mistake when loading the software to my laptop. It started automatically and I stopped it cause I was not sure. Now everything I try wont work. I tried unistalling it but that did not work, it said files are complete.

Can someone help me?

Thanks
    Mike

7. mikebatko

mikebatko Newbie

Help!!!!!!!!

Hi, I followed the procedures, but made a mistake when loading the software to my laptop. It started automatically and I stopped it cause I was not sure. Now everything I try wont work. I tried unistalling it but that did not work, it said files are complete.

Can someone help me?

Thanks
    Mike

8. eljainc

eljainc Mobile Enthusiast

Does anybody know why I'm getting an error 37 when I tether via USB the XV6700 to a notebook PC? Please see my thread which is right above this one?
    On the PC end of things I'm getting a DUN error 720.

Mike

9. CFleming

CFleming Newbie

I need, I want, I have to have the ability to connect my 6700 to my laptop but I can't find my getting started cd and Ustar won't send me the files via e-mail. CAN ANYONE HELP???? I would greatly appreciate it.:eek:

10. eljainc

eljainc Mobile Enthusiast

email me at mikemilw2002 at yahoo dot com and I can send you the files you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.