Xerox offers to buy HP

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by scjjtt, Nov 8, 2019.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

CNBC: Xerox offers to buy HP for $22, sources say, more than 30% higher than where it traded a month ago.

This always works - a smaller struggling company buying out a bigger struggling company.

It is sad to see how HP has fallen. In 1990 when I moved to CA I heard about this company and the way they went about doing things, it was called "the HP way." Up to that time, they were known for a company that had never laid anyone off (I'm not sure if that was 100% accurate, but that was the urban legend).

Of course, I'm still upset, but not surprised, on how they handled Web OS................ (enough said on that)

I'm old enough to remember when someone needed to make a photocopy of something and they would say, "Can you make me a Xerox of this?"

I can only hope the best for these two companies, but I'm afraid it is only going to end up like the K-Mart and SEARS acquisition.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/07/xerox-offers-hp-22-a-share-in-takeover-bid-sources-say.html

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

This seems to be the story in the fast moving Tech industry. It comes down to leadership, or more to the point, lack of good leadership. Who could have imagined in 1984 that IBM would drop the ball. MS has survived, but mostly by turning into a SAS company. Apple was almost destroyed, pulled from the brink by the return of Steve Jobs. Apple was a rare case. You don't get many second chances in the Tech Industry. The big thing is that big, successful companies tend to be reactive. Reactive isn't adaptive and with technologies hitting innovation plateaus in a few short years now, it's adapt quickly or die.

This merger may be good for printers. Don't know if Xerox would want to put much effort into computers.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Hook - this read goes exactly supports what you wrote...

CNBC: Bill Gates says people would be using Windows Mobile if not for the Microsoft antitrust case.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/bil...windows-mobile-if-not-for-antitrust-case.html

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Lol. Well, that's a sweet story Bill tells, but he is glossing over a lot. I agree that MS didn't need to be broken up. However, what needed to be stopped and regulated was their tactics to bully manufacturers from considering any other OS or software. That was anti-competitive and computer customers are still suffering from not having a viable alternative to Windows 10.

So, yeah, I respect Bill, a smart man, but he doesn't get a lot of sympathy.

5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I use MS products, but to be honest, I've never been happy with them. The OS is total crap.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. Daniel L

Daniel L Mobile Enthusiast

HP's biggest mistakes happened after hurd got fired. they were on their way to being the next visionaries. it was such a shame.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk