XDAndroid on HTC Touch Pro2

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Mi An, May 10, 2011.

1. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Syd now has a second OS. I'm not sure if that means she has a split personality or just a new set of skills. *Imagines Neo looking mildly awed and saying "I know kung fu"* I had about a week after most of my exams before my last one, and this morning I finally sat down and made this happen. Honestly, setting up the folder with a build (Froyo), up-to-date kernel, rootfs and RIL only took a few minutes (see Introduction to Android - SD Card - xda-developers for easy setup instructions). I couldn't make rel_path work, but it boots fine with the build in the root directory so I gave up. But otherwise the first boot took longer than the actual work I put into setup.

XDAndroid still is not fully functional. There are bluetooth issues, 3.5mm jack issues (for the CDMA Rhodium users), speakerphone issues, wifi issues (it works, you just can't shut it off from within xdandroid to save power -- turning off just makes it so you can't use it, it still sucks power), you have to use an alternate driver for usb host mode, and some sleep issues I don't fully understand, including GPS preventing it from entering deep sleep, and as a result, the LED is tasked for informing you of what sleep level it is in, not for notifications. But they've made a ton of progress since I first swore I would test it out. I dropped a donation in the xdandroid tin with a note that there's more coming if 3.5mm gets added on. For whatever that's worth.

I'm looking forward to playing with Froyo all the same and seeing what the android marketplace has to offer and where Google Voice integration is at. There are Gingerbread builds, but Froyo is the most stable, so that's what I used. Because this runs off the SD card, there is no need to do a hard spl unlock or make any modification to the phone. xdandroid is working on a version that can initialize hardware without WinMo's help, but frankly, for as long as quirks remain, I prefer this method.

For all the caveats, it doesn't feel like a hack once it boots up. I quickly and smoothly (more smoothly than in winmo :rolleyes: ) got in, set up wifi, signed in to the market, downloaded 3g watchdog (thanks hook :) ) with apndroid, kindle, aldiko, an Amazon bar code scanner, looked at mobilenoter played a little angry birds rio (which did crash, maybe just because my hardware is ancient), set up weather info and looked at other stuff I've been drooling over and was on my way. It all felt fairly smooth.

I'll play with it some today, but I may not get much more time with it until the weekend after this one. I have family coming into town this weekend and one more exam, but if you have any "must trys", do tell. For now, this is like having a whole new phone. :D

EDIT:
    Made an install guide that is more streamlined than the one I linked to above for mobileread, thought I'd post it here as well for any googlers.

Steps to install XDAndroid on a Touch Pro2:

FRX07 arrived on 7/15/11. No updating steps necessary. Download here, follow the 5 easy steps and enjoy.
  2. Radon222

Radon222 Mobile Enthusiast

I became hooked on dual-booting between WinMo and Android on my Tilt2. Now I love it even more on my HD2 running a Cyanogen derived Gingerbread ROM.

You'll love being able to play with Android, but still have the stability of WinMo when there's work to be done.

Enjoy!!
  3. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

Interesting concept; but it sounds like a huge number of compromises are required. If there are BT issues, audio jack issues, WiFi issues, etc.; doesn't it defeat the purpose?
  4. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Depends on what the purpose is, I suppose. It's not ready to be my main OS yet, but I'm thrilled I installed it to play with <-- my purpose. The winmo application library gets a little more stale every day. Now, thanks to xdandroid, I have a device that can read checked out overdrive titles, has an xkcd browser, kindle, a more stable general epub reader, a better Bible reader, something that can tell you what song you're listening to, full onenote access etc, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. On top of that, I get to try android before I buy, not in some store with annoyed personnel glaring at me, but at my own pace.

Also I don't use bluetooth at all, the wifi issues are only issues if you want to turn the radio off to save power (which would be more of an issue if I were going to run Android all the time, but isn't much of one when I'm just booting in to play around), and I don't use the 3.5mm jack all the time. If they do get the last of the kinks worked out, I could see this extending Syd's lifespan considerably.

And thanks Radon, I most definitely will. :)

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

That's putting it politely. ;)
  6. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Syd is still proud of her old skill set, so I try to be diplomatic. :)

Edit: A few wrinkles so far. Typically launching the android browser causes a crash. Don't plan to pursue it, will probably just download opera or skyfire or something like that. I also can't get through the Google Voice setup. It tells me it is unable to get through the voicemail setup, no matter how often I retry, and if I try to skip the step, the application locks down -- can't go forward or back. I think I'll uninstall Voice and then get it again from the market, see if that helps. I was looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Edit 2: Got GV working by installing fresh from the market. Opera Mini seems nice. Typed up this edit the first time from Sydroid, and liked it all the way until I hit save and my edits failed to make it through. But it seems to detect where I'm pressing much better than my winmo opera does, less zooming necessary, it's just quicker and easier. Might try reading tonight, but Aldiko doesn't want to turn pages with my arrow keys, which is kinda my way. Might try FBreader or something like it.
  7. Radon222

Messing around with android ports on these older phones definitely falls in the the "Why? Because I can" category.

On the TP2's; android is definitely not yet a daily use OS, but just as Mi An is doing its a no-cost method of getting to experience and play with an alternate OS.
  8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Mi An, try Dolphin Browser. It's a lot of browser, but it's excellent and more powerful than the standard android one.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Dolphin is on my todo list. I was try to think of the names of some of the browsers I read about, and that one slipped my mind. Thanks QF :)

I didn't read in Sydroid last night. I tried FBreader and Aldiko, and neither would let me turn pages with the arrow keys. On the up side, both are more stable than my current winmo reader (opening books cause freda to crash), faster and more fully featured (the dev has moved on to WP7 development). I think both readers allow you to turn pages with the volume buttons. I'm not opposed to tinkering, if I could find a aebuttons plus sort of analog for android that would allow context-sensitive button remapping, maybe that would do the trick for me.
  10. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Does Kindle work with the arrow keys? I am 90% sure that the D-Pad on my Droid flips pages in Kindle...
  11. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

Just to be clear, I admire the effort and it's interesting to read about; but there seem to be serious gaps, not just an issue of it not being and 'everyday' OS. As for BT and jack, that means no headphones at all. Plus, if it is that hobbled, it's hard to have a fair opinion as to what Android is like; but there is value in making the effort. It's especially cool that it runs off a memory card. That seemingly increasingly common option is great.
  12. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

@QF, Haven't tried it. My 100% purchased library of books may or may not be in its original format. Not super comfortable giving Amazon a peek at what I may or may not have done there.

@Varjak: For me, yes it means no headset at all. However, most TP2 users don't have a 3.5mm jack (GSM versions are the majority, none of them have one), and all of us could use a headset that plugs into the usb port instead (which I don't have and won't buy). I imagine that is part of the reason the devs haven't gotten around to that yet, because there is one option for headphones and most users already have it.

Edit: got my library card up to date today, and am checking out my first overdrive book. Pain to set up everything initially, but my first overdrive book is in: The Highly Selective Thesaurus for the Extraordinarily Literate (If I were extraordinarily literate, would I really need a highly selective thesaurus? Seems like this is for the not so extraordinarily literate.). I actually just discovered the overdrive console does have a WinMo version though, so not as big a deal as I thought. The console also won't let me have the keyboard out while the screen is in portrait mode -- my preferred reading orientation. But it will let me turn pages with the arrow keys. I look forward to kindle lending if kindle will let me read that way.
  13. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Kindle will turn pages with the arrow keys, but I couldn't see an option to put the screen in portrait with the keyboard open. Went to the market to find something to rotate the screen, but all I could find were apps that toggled auto-rotate, which doesn't stop the screen from going to landscape when the keyboard opens. I couldn't find much in the way of button remapping either. I'll try and dig around xda later and see if there are solutions outside the market.

So some readers (aldiko and fbreader both IIRC) will give me the right screen orientation for my preferred book-form reading layout, but won't let me turn with the arrow keys, and the others (kindle, overdrive) will let me turn with the arrow keys but won't let me lock in portrait mode. I'm contacting Aldiko to see if it is a feature they'd be willing to add.
  14. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

You can lock the Kindle orientation, but it might only lock based on the accelerometer and not the keyboard. But if you didn't already try it, open the Kindle app, and flip the whole phone horizontal then vertical. A little lock should appear, click it, and that should lock you into vertical orientation. (I'm doing this from memory so that's why I'm a bit fuzzy).

I don't know if this would override the keyboard slideout, but it's worth a shot! (and let me know if it works!)
  15. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Yay, it worked. :) Mine actually didn't respond to flipping, but when I opened the keyboard and then closed it, the little lock icon was there. I just hadn't noticed it before, and it does prevent all orientation changes. Thanks.

This doesn't solve all my reading issues, but at least I have one fully functional reader.
  16. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Glad it worked! I know it appears based on signals from the OS, just glad it popped up for you.

Agreed that the Kindle app isn't a 100% full featured heavy lifting app, but it's stable, has a very good library, is quick, and doesn't take up a billion mb on your memory. For pure "I want this to be unique to just how I read" style ebook reading, Aldiko can't be beat, but it does have some funkiness w.r.t. arrow keys/d-pads. I think you can remap volume keys but those might be on the wrong side for you to comfortably use instead.

Isn't Android fun though!
  17. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Perhaps your other issues would be resolved if you'd stick with G Level books. :)
  18. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Maybe if I'm good to Google, Google will be good to me? :)
  19. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

I'm using Moon+ reader from the market now. Screen lock and arrow key page-turning are both go and ready for launch.

I'm still working on getting the backlight to turn off on the keyboard. Couldn't do that in winmo6.1, and I refused to upgrade to a flawed vzw 6.5 rom just for that registry entry. It can be done in android, it's just hard to tell if it's doable at this stage of the xdandroid build. Market app backlight off won't do it. I found this, I do have that file at that location, but it's already set to '0', so I'm not sure what to do next. But if I do figure it out, that'll be a cool bonus.
  20. Radon222

Ok Mi An... which ver of XDA are you running? I'm back on my Tilt2 for a while since HD2 decided to jump into Batlimore Harbor this morning.