x5 upgrade

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Lynx^, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynx^

Lynx^ Mobile Evangelist

Is it possible to flash a wm2003 rom on an x5 running 2002? Just got one as a gift and had hellish problems with a toshiba e335 with 2002, and do not want to repeat. If I can, can someone point me to a link and instructions? Thanks!

2. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

I doubt it. Not enough room in the ROM of the X5 if memory serves me right. I used the X5 as my main machine for about 2 years, really liked it a lot, but was frustrated at not having native on-the-fly screen rotation and other WM2003SE features, but also wanted a bigger, VGA screen, so I went next to a Toshiba e800. Still, I regretted losing the amazing stability of the X5. A fine little machine, if a tad on the ugly side. And with a Mugen Power 3800mAh battery that thing ran for 12 hours or more, with a CF 802.11b card running. I tended to leave wireless on most of the time, email open in the background (nPOPuk) and browsing a lot with NetFront. Used it with a couple of infrared keyboards, the Targus (big, bulky) and the little Pocketop (a bit small, but worked well, and it came with drivers for screen rotation from Nyditot... long story, turned into litigation and stuff, ugly really).

Anyway, it's unlikely that the wear-leveling would be properly integrated with an old-style ROM chip anyway, so even if you could find a custom ROM to fit the Dell and an installer to put it in without bricking the device, I don't think the chip would run for long before choking and dying under the load of un-buffered writes to flash. I could be wrong. Just never seen references to anyone doing this with that era of PPC. And as I said, why bother? It's a heck of a machine as it is. A SparkLAN or Meritline or some other CF Wi-Fi card and a 2GB SD card in the other slot and an extended battery, and you've got a little powerhouse for general PDA use and as an MP3 player to boot. As I recall, audio output to headphones was very solid in that model. And the processor was speedy enough to be very satisfying for video and games.

3. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Actually, it is absolutely possible and Dell produced an official WM2003 upgrade for the original X5. However, you'd have to be able to find a copy.

4. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

Oops, I must have been a bit blurry yesterday. Mis-read that as wondeirng if WM5 could be flashed to an X5, not WM2003. Silly me. I ran WM2003, though not SE.

5. Lynx^

Lynx^ Mobile Evangelist

OK where would I look for a 2003 ROM?
    And is the 2002 that's on the dell more stable than the 2002 that came on the toshiba e335? Because if it is, I'd be inclined to stay put. I just would hate to wake up one morning after working on it all day and everything be GONE, like happened to me on my old 335. I always have backups, but everything after last back-up would still be gone.

6. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

I've had devices which spontaneously hard reset. A few Casio EG-800s, an iPAQ 3835. But my particular Dell X5 Advanced (isn't that what they called the 400MHz model?) never did that trick. Of course any pre-WM5 Pocket PC has all user-defined registry and other setup information stored in RAM, so if the battery dies or something in the wiring decides to disconnect or something about your software setup renders the system unstable in certain ways, all data not on a storage card will of course be lost on hard reset. That's why daily backups, or even more often if you make a lot of changes, are so essential. Sprite or SPB or Resco Backup are options. I have found Resco's to be the most stable under WM6, but that's not available for pre-WM5 devices. And I generally make a fresh PIM databases backup with PIMBackup, a fine freeware, after any significant change there. If I add a new phone number or email address or a whole new contact, then it's time for a new backup to a card.

Will your X5 be happier under WM2002 than 2003? Who knows? These machines are not, in my experience, the most consistent things. As for looking for a WM2003 ROM... as I recall, I found mine on a mid-Western university site, a decidedly non-legal copy shared by a university student who apparently managed the school's site while there. That file is long since gone, both from that site and from my own archives. It's not going to be a legally distributed thing if you do find it, so really, talking particulars about such things is probably not welcome here. You might try the torrent sites though...

7. zacksba

zacksba Mobile Evangelist

Once in a while, you can find the official upgrade CD's on ebay. I would also suggest posting a wanted to buy ad at aximsite classified section and craigslist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.