WM6 ROM For The Hx4700 Is Here!!!

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by chrismrulz, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrismrulz

chrismrulz Mobile Deity

I'll include the 5 step install instructions to install the rom using my bootloader once again.
    I've just tested it still works with this rom (not that there should be any reason it wouldn't work).
    Everything works smoothly. I even flashed it using windows vista too. (read the note at the bottom to do this)
    I'm trying to include the latest rom here, but check xda-developers.com forums for the latest.

Step 1: Make a new folder on your harddisk. make sure it has no spaces.
    e.g. C:\BootLoader\
    don't use something like C:\Boot Loader\ as it contains spaces.
    * NOTE: Having spaces in the folder containing the rom file will cause an error to show because it can't send the file to the device.*

Step 2: Download the WM6.1 rom and my bootloader into the folder you just created in step one.
    Rom: Alkor_B3.7z (you need to extract CEOS_new.nbf as the bootloader doesn't handle .7z)
    BootLoader: BootLoader_GUI.exe.
    * NOTE: Don't download them into another folder that has spaces, put them in the folder from step one.*

Step 3: Put your hx4700 in bootloader mode by pressing ITASK+CONTACTS+RESET, And put it in the sync cradle.
    * NOTE: It's best to charge your iPAQ or have power connected before you perform the rom upgrade.*

Step 4: Open the BootLoader_GUI.exe from the folder, and select the 'CEOS_new.nbf' file when it asks you to select a rom file.
    It will automatically find and extract the nbf file, remove the header, close activesync, then start uploading it to your device.
    * NOTE: You may need to put on a pot of coffee, it takes a while. It will show an error after uploading it, and stay in bootloader mode, but it will still work once you apply step 5.*

Step 5: Lastly, perform a clean reset by pressing CONTACTS + INBOX + RESET. When asked to confirm the clean reset press CALENDER.
    * NOTE: You may need to soft reset before or after doing this. This step is required by all bootloaders. (Solnyshok’s mod etc.) Don't skip it or it will not boot up.*

Note: If using Windows Vista, You will need to install special drivers. A dialog box will prompt you to install them automatically if it detects you are running vista.
    You may need to press F8 at windows startup and disable driver signing under some versions of vista.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. sanjay

sanjay Mobile Evangelist

Thank you Chris.

My trial of this ROM begins!

3. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed by the fact that people are actually doing this now. A few years ago, it would have been incomprehensible for a user to produce an OS upgrade. Now there's at least three devices which have been upgraded to WM6 without the manufacturer's input: the hx4700, along with the Dell Axim X50v and X51v, with the Loox N560 being worked on, I think. Very cool.

4. chrismrulz

chrismrulz Mobile Deity

heh matter of fact a few years ago i specifically mentioned that it wouldn't be that hard to do if a team of programmers got together, and nobody believed me and said it would be impossible.
    microsoft gives out the SDK's freely and it doesn't take that much to modify the rom's for a specific device.

but yer, amazing effort that these guys have put in.

5. sanjay

sanjay Mobile Evangelist

I have always had complete faith in the dedication of committed developers in the world that do this kind of thing because they WANT to. They see what appears to be impossibilities as a direct challenge for them to take on. The desire to win is what makes progress. Corporations like HP often suck this creativity out of people to the point where the truly gifted go out on their own. Kozhura and friends are these.

We owe immense gratitude to them for what they have done for us 4700 users.:)

6. Adama D. Brown

Well, you're right--and come to think of it, I remember seeing a WM6 ROM for the old HTC Typhoon smartphone, which caught my eye because I own one of those. Maybe I'll go through the upgrade hassle at some point.

7. night_2004

night_2004 PDA Hopeful

One question though...how do people know these ROMs actually work as intended, and don't have some 'spyware' in there with it? What about bugs?

Will all devices work with a ROM update, or do the builds have to be tweaked for the specific hardware?

8. Adama D. Brown

Well, spyware for Windows Mobile has yet to actually be seen in the wild. Beyond that, though, if you're really concerned you could install a firewall like the one offered by AirScanner.

Well, one hopes that if notable bugs are found, the person who's developed the ROM will release updates to eliminate them. There's no guarantee of that, of course, but then there's no guarantee a manufacturer will, either.

They have to be tweaked for the hardware.

9. chrismrulz

chrismrulz Mobile Deity

just installed it on my hx4700 using my bootloader! :)

@night_2004 - they have no reason to put spyware in it.
    pocketpc's dont have the internet anyway so they'd make no profit.
    you don't have to try it, but you're missing out if you don't.
    it is alot better than WM5.

10. sanjay

sanjay Mobile Evangelist

Chris,
    Did you happen to notice what the page pool size is for this? Wonder if is defaulted higher that the WM5 4.5M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.