WisBar Advance 2 has been released

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by gjw, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjw

gjw Mobile Deity

The freeware version of Lakeridge Software's WisBar Advance has evolved into a commercial version -- WisBar Advance 2.
    WA2 is $9.99 with a free trial version.
    So far, payment is via PayPal only.
    Support is claimed for PPC2002, WM2003, and WM2003SE.

2. neuron

neuron Mobile Deity

Tried, not impressed.

The main issue is too slow. Wisbar v1.4 works much better in X30 than this version.

3. dcrichmond

dcrichmond Mobile Deity

Was not the previous versions free? When did they start charging?

4. gjw

gjw Mobile Deity

WisBar v1.4 is/was not WisBar Advance.
    Different company, different product, different features.
    Comparisons are well and good but we are talking apples and oranges.

5. JS

JS Member

For those who haven't actually tried WA2, I wouldn't put much stock into the above comment.

Tried the beta, tried the next beta and the next, tben tried all of the release candidates - very impressed.

I would put the developer in the same class as those of Pocket Informant and PocketBreeze. He is extremely responsive to any issues and a pleasure to "work" with.

The final version just came out. In your 30 seconds of trialing this great application, what exactly was slow? If you have specific issues with your device, bring them up in the Lakeridge forums.

I also wholeheartedly agree with gjw concerning the apples to oranges comparison with WA1.

6. neuron

neuron Mobile Deity

I don't want to comment about your words, even you may want to do some personal attacking tricks.

I tried every WA2 candidate release, and uninstall all of them within 5 mins. It slows down the whole system, so no specific issue. I also mentioned it in their forums too. The whole WA2 is buggy and bloated, which is completely away from the orginal wisbar, which is simple, fast and small.

Brighthand has a good tradition of different voices. If only good words are welcomed, I suggest WA2 forum is a better place to go.

7. thex

thex Mobile Deity

The author who originally wrote wisbar released his software as free. When he took ill, he released the source code out to the community as free to continue development.

I am not here to belittle WA2 at all. I have tried it in its very early beta stages, but since I was beta testing other software, I never knew which sw was causing the problems.

I currently use WA1.4 (I guess the last free version of WA) I was always under the impression that this would be freeware due to the original authors release.

There were three version of wisbar flying around - and I know I boucened between all three of them WA included.

If you want to sell the software, I don't think it should have "wisbar" included in the name. Also, I think (and this is just me) that if you used any code from the original version - isn't that selling someone elses code that gave it out as free.

I am positive WA2 is a great piece of software, I just wanted my two cents voiced about its going to payware.

8. hezahonker

hezahonker Mobile Deity

In regard to this software going public for sale. I have to say I was shocked this morning to find that it is now for sale. I guess I was under the impression it was freeware...I must have missed something along the way as I was testing the beta with many.

Not that this isn't ok, I am just surprised. I probably will move on to something else that is free...I happy for the developer, but still dissapointed for myself in that I probably wouldn't have spent time testing ...oh well such is life.:D

Was this announced to anyone testing that this was going to be done? I missed that part I guess.:confused:

9. sracer

sracer Senior Advisor

Only the author of WA2 knows if there is any of the original WA code in it. If there is still WA code in WA2, and the author of WA2 has not approached then I think there's a bit of a problem.

But it is quite possible that WA2 is a complete rewrite, or the author received permission (or made an arrangement) to sell.

We just don't know.

As for the WA2 code itself, I know first hand that it does indeed slow the system down (or at least interracts with other software on the device that causes a slowdown).

It has also been pretty buggy. But that has been my firsthand experience.

But I do have a question for those who have been using the WA2 betas... did you know that it was going to be a commercial product?

10. hezahonker

hezahonker Mobile Deity

As I stated above I didn't know. Which is very dissapointing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.