Wireless Keyboard with Dvorak available

Discussion in 'Palm' started by pepsi, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lancerkind

lancerkind Chief bullet scrubber

I tried editing the keyboard.prc file with no success. I couldn't identify a section that appeared to be about mapping key codes to characters.

I could see the text for the error/help messages for the keyboard.

Anyone else have any luck? Pepsi?

2. lancerkind

Good news is that I figured out where the section is in the keyboard.prc (1.08 version) that needed to be modified for dvorak. I've attached a zip of keyboard.prc that you can use so that your palm universal keyboard will do dvorak.
    Naturally, I did this out of the goodness of my heart and this is a way of saving people a lot of time. I tested it on my LifeDrive.

Simply install it onto your palm and it will replace the original keyboard.prc, and you'll have a driver that will type dvorak instead of qwerty. The only drawback I've found through testing is that it doesn't handle caps-lock for the letters mapped to symbols (like caps-lock, and then semi-colon). The workaround is to use the shift key instead.

Below are some instructions so you can do your own modifications.

Modifying keyboard.prc

Note: This information isn't comprehensive, I basically hacked about until I got things working the way I wanted them to work. This is my understanding at this time. If you learn more, please email me and/or post to this thread so we all can learn how this works.

The mapping is between unicode and the keycodes. I found the mapping area at offset 54EF, or after "ReceiveF" and some other stuff. Specifically, the location is 54E8 + 11 more words (a word being sixteen bits), or 54F9.
    I discovered this location by searching for 006100 (since unicode 'a' is 0061 and there would be another 00 after the 'a', because I was assuming there would be 's' due to the home row keys being 'asdf'. It turns out that it isn't organizide like this at all but 'A', 'a', '2', 'B', 'b', etc.

It appears that each location represents a keycode on the keyboard. A keycode is the code which is sent from the keyboard to the PDA when the letter 'A' is pressed. This keycode can be mapped to any character that can be represented in Unicode.

For example, the unicode located at 54F8 is what is sent to the PDA when shift+the-key-labeled-as-"a" is pressed on the keyboard. To map this to a "J" (yes a capital 'J'), change the 0041 code to 004A. (Here is a reference to the unicode characters http://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP1252.TXT)

As you can see, you can map the keys to many different keyboard layouts. With some experimentation, I'm sure you can figure out how to discover the 'alt'-'a' key codes to create things like accented 'a's. (I'd love to hear what the system is when you figure it out too. ;-) You can let me know at lancerkind@yahoo.com, thanks.)

Mapping a Qwerty keyboard to dvorak

You need a reference to the Unicodes. I used http://www.hornetranslations.com/layoutdvorakenca.shtml

Here are the mappings I used. (to the right-hand-side of the "=" is the qwerty keyboard key). For a few items, I added additional information: the quoted hex on the RHS contains the file offset because I needed that to not get confused in a few locations. The quoted hex on the LHS contains the unicode for a few items that kept confusing me.

TopRow (I included the unicode for a few of them):
    q='(X0027) Q="(X0022) w=,(X002C) W=<(X003C) e=.(X002E) E=>(X003E) r=p t=y y=f u=g i=c o=r p=l (55FF+2)[=/(002F) {=? (55FF+8)]== }=+

HomeRow:
    a=a s=o d=e f=u g=i h=d j=h k=t l=n ;=s '=- "=_

Bottom Row:
    z=; Z=: x=q c=j v=k b=x n=b m=m ,=w <=W .=v >=V /=z ?=Z

3. lancerkind

The attachment didn't make it in my last post. Let me try that again.

Attached Files:

4. eas10

eas10 Newbie

Thanks! This seems to work well on my E2 (after very brief testing).

Except that there is no [] or {}, and two sets of -_=+, but I don't need the brackets much.

5. jackseay

jackseay Newbie

I'm logged in, but when I try to download the Keyboard.zip attachment, it says I don't have permission. I have been trying for weeks to find a dvorak keyboard driver for my Palm wireless keyboard, but without success.

6. jackseay

jackseay Newbie

OK, I tried getting the attachment again, right-clicking and downloading the link. I renamed it Keyboard.zip, unzipped it and transferred it to my Palm, (after duplicating the Keyboard.zip file in my Backups folder). It worked. Thanks.

7. jackseay

jackseay Newbie

One more thing I had to do to install the driver: (on Mac OSX) get file info, unlock it, and set the permissions to "read and write". I'm not sure if the last step was necessary, since I did both before trying to sync again.

8. handmouth

handmouth Newbie

9. Exolon

Exolon Mobile Enthusiast

That keyboard looks pretty slick. BTW, on a historical note, Qwerty wasn't invented to "slow down" typists - it was designed to minimise the likelihood of two consecutive keystrokes coming from adjacent/nearby hammers in the typewriter, thus avoiding jams. The problem was resolved when they made hammers which could snap back instead of falling back slowly, but the ugly qwerty design stayed strong.

It'd be nice if there was a remapping layer that could sit on top of the keyboard driver and allow custom layouts. Maybe easier than manually hacking a new layout into the driver?

10. handmouth

handmouth Newbie

Exolon,
    There is a program that helps with composing a new keyboard layout.

But I don't think it works for Palm Wireless keyboard.
    And it's only for Windows, I think.

Go to http://g700.palmoid.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.