Wireless AC

Discussion in 'Other Platforms' started by kuddus, Mar 2, 2014.

1. kuddus

kuddus Mobile Consultant

Does anybody know about wireless AC?

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

I recently installed a wireless AC router. While I have few devices that can even use AC, I'm happy with it for other reasons. I went to smallnetbuilder and found the top rated AC1750 router and bought it: AsusAC66U. It has features I was looking for. I was tempted by Apple's routers but I've decided I need more control than Apple is willing to allow in their Airport Utility settings. In the coming years when I get faster wireless devices, I expect them to work just fine with the Asus. As for my main infrastructure, it's all gigabit wired ethernet. This makes it faster for me to copy huge files around from machine to machine in my house. AC wireless doesn't make a lot of sense (yet) for mobile devices because of the typical storage. I think the largest you can get these days is 128 GB but in the coming years, as terabyte mobile devices become a reality, AC wireless will make more sense.

It's almost as fast as wired gigabit ethernet. By then of course, I would expect wired ethernet speeds to approach 10 GB. Broadband in the US is shamefully slow so moldy old 801.11G is probably fast enough if all you're thinking about is streaming over the net. But as soon as you have more than 1 computer in your house, anything slower than 802.11n and gigabit ethernet can cause frustration.

Hope this helps...

Mi An likes this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

r0k, by wireless AC router, do you mean one of those things that you plug the router into a base station that routs data connection through the electrical outlets? Not wireless as far as I know; but I may not know about this particular thing.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

If you search using the term 'wireless AC' or even the router r0k mentioned (AC1750 router) it'd be clear he's not talking about a powerline adapter. ;)

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

6. EdmundDantes

Of course I could have done that; but I thought we were having a discussion. Virtually EVERY discussion here could be obviated by a Google search.

7. EdmundDantes

BTW, I wonder how you or a few others would take if I posted that kind of response?

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

Oops. I somehow missed your reply. No I'm not talking about power line adapters. AC refers to a "new and improved" 802.11 standard that is supposed to be gigabit speed.

True but sometimes I'd rather ask here than take my chances clicking "I Feel Lucky". While not nearly as clueless as Bing, Google sometimes gets all flummoxed with these technical terms. I haven't tried it but I can imagine a search containing AC could bring up power grid stuff and a certain heavy metal band. I often provide google references when I respond. I hope people don't think I'm implying they should have googled instead of asking here. That would go against the way we do things around here.
    There is one dumb question: It is the one that isn't asked.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Actually, some have posted that kind of response to my questions. I thought it was pretty funny as well as informative.

RickAgresta likes this.
  10. kuddus

kuddus Mobile Consultant

Hi guys,

It's a silly matter, Please don't shy.
    We're discussing here to know more and more...

Thanks,

RickAgresta likes this.