Windows Phone 8 Review: Let's Try This Again Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Grant Hatchimonji, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Grant Hatchimonji

Grant Hatchimonji Brighthand Site Editor

For all Microsoft has been saying about Windows Phone 8 being the most "personal" mobile operating system and how it's designed for each and every one of us, that's not really anything new. Windows Phone 7 was the same way, putting people-- and the user-- at the center of the experience. Rather, what Windows Phone 8 comes off as is the mobile operating system that Windows Phone 7 should have been.

This is an undeniably familiar experience. In fact, with a handful of exceptions, you really have to make an effort to find glaring differences or updates. Windows Phone 8 is subtle. It's all about tweaking and refining the experience that Windows Phone 7 introduced, and mostly getting right what its predecessor got wrong the first time around.

Read the full content of this Article: Windows Phone 8 Review: Let's Try This Again

Related Articles:

Microsoft Launches Windows Phone 8

Microsoft Plans to Merge Windows and Windows Phone

Ballmer Says That Microsoft is 'Obviously' Going to Make More Hardware

Nokia Lumia 920 & Lumia 820 Preview

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Microsoft OSes seem to go on a tick-tock scheme, with the "tick" being a major paradigm shift and "tock" being refinement and improved execution of the prior concept. WP7 was the tick, WP8 is the tock. (Likewise, Vista was the tick, Win7 was the tock, and Win8 is another tick).

Hilarious few? Hotmail (aka outlook.com with an attractive refresh) has 380ish million users. To put that in perspective, Gmail has 420ish million, so it's the same order of magnitude as gmail.

Besides, anyone who has an Xbox Live account for his/her Xbox 360 has a Microsoft account. Xbox Live account, Zune account, hotmail account, outlook.com account, Microsoft account--they're all different names for the same thing.

3. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I got a Hotmail account, and I don't use it much except get news from XBox live. The amount of advertising in the web Hotmail is excruciating, which is why I only use the mobile version. I also wonder why I still get spam mail on Hotmail despite the low usage; spam mail on GMail is zero and the same can be said about Yahoo Mail. On a generic mail app, its a bit more of a pain to set up push Hotmail with all the Exchange settings you enter, whlie push GMail setup and support is transparent.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I actually have a hotmail (now Outlook) account. I use it as a tertiary (at best) email. I disagree about junk mail/advertising. I don't get much.

The email functionality on WP8 sounds awful. That's a big drawback.

As for tiles, I don't know enough about them yet. Can you change the colors (the bright primary colors are garish). And can you re-size the tiles for things like the XBox? I don't use Xboxes much, and it would stink to have two giant tiles taken over by XBox functions. I would not use their music or video store either.

So far, I have not seen a compelling reason for WP8 to 'break out' in popularity. JMO.

5. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I got an Xbox 360 too, got a software update recently. Unfortunately the tiles don't work particularly well on a TV format and with a game controller. I like the old interface better.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I've never had problems with the threading of email conversations in WP7. Works fine for me and I use it for both work email and home email.

I created an outlook.com email address a few months ago and I've never gotten any spam in it. I do use my gmail address for registering for websites, buying online, etc because gmail has a pretty good spam filter and I like to keep outlook pristine for conversations with real people. That way I've got one email full of shipment notifications and "special offers" from places I've bought from, and one full of emails from real people.

@Varjak: you can resize any tile to be quarter-size, regular-size, or double-wide. You can also unpin any tile without removing the app (you can still get it by swiping right to the all apps list). The tiles are just your favorites, not everything installed. So if you don't want the Xbox Live tile, unpin it, or at least make it small.

And yes, you can change the color of the tiles. Many varieties, including a black-and-white option (which looks really cool with phones that are black, white, or black-and-white like the 8S): A closer look at Windows Phone 8

[​IMG]

7. Grant Hatchimonji

@Varjak: While you can change the colors of most of the tiles, some cannot be changed, including the Xbox Music Tile (green), the Games tile (green), and the Office tile (Orange).

Edit: The black and white color scheme that Mitlov referred to is not actually one of the tile color choices, it's actually a high contrast mode (one of the Ease of Access options). It does, however, change the Xbox Music and Games tiles to black or white, depending on whether your background is set to light or dark. Office remains orange and any third party apps remain their own color.

And one other thing, While high contrast mode may seem appealing at first, it robs you of having any lock screen image (it can only do a black or white background with the date and time in the inverse) and it's kind of ugly when you see the text placed in black bars over any tile that isn't black. I'll post a screenshot in a second of what I mean.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  8. Grant Hatchimonji

wp_ss_20121101_0001.jpg

I'm not crazy about that, myself.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

It's telling me "invalid attachment" when I try to follow the link (which may or may not be an easter egg of Buddhist philosophy on the website). Doesn't surprise me though that there are some downsides to high contrast mode. One of the nice things about regular setups is that highlighted text and hyperlink texts are in your tile color. So you wouldn't be able to see them in high-contrast.

Personally, I like either red on a dark background or blue on a dark background. Colorful without being over-the-top. I think WP8 is supposed to have a deep crimson color available, which on a dark background should look great.

10. Grant Hatchimonji

There, sorry. And yes, WP8 does have crimson; that's actually what I'm currently using. Like you said, I think it looks great, personally.