Windows 10 Hotspot

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Jan 30, 2019.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

With 2 WiFi routers in the house, we get pretty good coverage for our wireless devices, however my smartphone seems to disconnect fairly often in my office. Fortunately, my office desktop PC is connected via Ethernet and I just figured out how to turn it into a WiFi hotspot. It uses an older, internal adapter that's a bit on the slow side relative to everywhere else in the house, but at least it seems like a solid connection for my smartphone.

Setting this up in Windows 10 required turning on a single switch in settings: Windows Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot. I simply had to turn on "Share my internet connection with other devices." I didn't even bother changing the network name or password (the password looks strong).

Some day, I'll probably look into setting up a WiFi mesh network system. I'm thinking it'll be in conjunction with implementation of the WPA3 security standard.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Just today I was looking at WiFi mesh systems. My apartment shares WiFi with my SIL one floor below, and the floor is thick enough to prevent full WiFi coverage. I installed an extender and then replaced it with a four-antenna router configured as a repeater, but there's still a couple of places with weak WiFi signal. I think another node could fix this.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I have a similar issue. Even with a router and a network of extenders, my laptop must have a crappy wi-fi antenna because it goes through periods where it drops the connections all the time. For some reason, it likes the 5ghz extender 'band' more than the router, which is one room over. Unfortunately, I do not have a desktop to activate the hotspot function, which sounds great.