Windows 10 Hates My Printer (and So Do I)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Yes, we have had that happen to one of our Canons. Mrs. Hook still insists on Canon, but she always gets the protection plan and, since no one repairs printers, when it happened to us we received a free new Canon, the current version of her model. But yes, there can be reliability issues with Canons. So if color quality is not a top priority, Epsons are probably a good choice.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

This phrase sent a shudder through my spine, as my brain recalled events from my early days. My very first job was in a computer repair center, and the worst part was repairing or cleaning printers. We would receive these huge, wide carriage dot matrix printers, and inside we'd find everything and anything, from jammed paper to -grab onto something- rat nests. Once I checked an inkjet printer that wouldn't feed paper. Inside there was a chicken drumstick bone! Seems someone was gnawing said bone while peering into the printer top feed slot, yawned or something, dropped the bone, and somehow assumed that was an acceptable place to leave it. The funniest time was when a concerned lady brought a smallish printer that worked ok, but she said she'd seen a few ants crawling all over it. Opening it revealed a few half-eaten chocolate bonbons that I assume were dropped just like the aforementioned chicken bone by the concerned lady's kids. The horridly fascinating part was that the ants had build a whole colony around the bonbons, complete with eggs and larvae. After cleaning, my report under recommendations said "A printer won't do as an ant farm project, since it won't provide adequate visibility. Recommend a glass or plastic model for your kids" :D :D

So yeah, no one repairs printers, but it's for a very good reason! ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Consider installing the Win7/Win8 printer drivers on your Win10 computer. There's a chance it could work.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    RickAgresta, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Thought of trying that from the outset but the printer installation itself failed. Lexmark has disavowed all knowledge of that printer and Win 10. :vbrolleyes: Now I'm stuck with a Lexmark line item in Add/Remove Programs that absolutely refuses to Remove/Uninstall and gives an error message that "item was not supported and could not be installed" although obviously something got a claw in somewhere. Next step is to Search machine for "Lexmark" and see if anything is found. I'm not feeling the love for Win 10 on any level. :vbfrown:

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Liked your post for the shared knowledge, not for your trials & tribulation, Dear¬Super!_Mod

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Aw, thanks for the sympathetic pat on the back. :vbsmile: TTYTT, I could've easily done without this whole upgrade experience because... My sig has never been more true! :vbgrin: :vbmad: :vbrolleyes: :vbwink: :thumbsup:

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Scjjtt, good to hear of your good experience with Brother. Mine hasn't been that good, but that goes a ways back. I've also had long term issues with various Canon printers and copiers, so avoid those too. Can't speak to recent stuff though.

Hook, awesome tip about the printer window. I bet a few others work like that too.

RickAgresta likes this.