Windows 10 Hates My Printer (and So Do I)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Feb 7, 2018.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

My wireless Lexmark S301 All-in-one printer has always done a fine job up until last year, when a Win 7 Windows Update played havoc with the printing process. I'd select items to print and nothing would happen. I'd have to turn the printer off and then when I turned it back on, the requested item/s would print. Screwy. :vbfrown:

The new Win 10 laptop is incompatible with the Lexmark printer. This isn't heartbreaking news to me but now I need to buy a printer that'll work with Win 10 (and also with Win 7) and I'd like another All-in-one model of whatever you guys would please recommend. It would be good to be able to buy ink refills locally (I could only order Lexmark cartridges from their online store.) Inkjet printer with separate cartridges for colors and black (I print mostly black but not always.) Lexmark had a double-sized black cartridge which was very handy.

Any ideas for me? :vbsmile:

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Lelisa, check the Epson L565 . We have a few in our field offices. They're all-in-one, small and robust, but not particularly fast. They come with large refillable ink tanks, one for each color, and the black tank is larger than the others. Has WiFi, can also work wired. Specs say it supports Win 7 and above and MacOS 10.7 and above. I can also print from my android device via internet. Not sure if this feature works with Apple devices, though.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Mrs Hook swears by the Canon Multifuctional printers. She currently has this one, which is on sale at Amazon. Staples and Office Max carry the cartridges. She swears by Canon because she prints photos and they seem to do the best color mixing. They also have the large black tank.

If you do a lot of black and white printing you might want to think about a wireless black and white laser as well. You can get them dirt cheap (I use a Brother one) and the laser cartridge lasts a good year or two depending on usage.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I have a Brother MFC-7860DW laser printer that has served me well. I also have a Canon MG6220. Both of these older printers have been working wirelessly with my Windows 10 desktop. Through my desktop, I have them set up as Google printers, so everyone in the house can use them.3rd party toner for the Brother is usually cheap and reliable; ink for the MG6220 is expensive from Canon, so I usually buy 3rd party. I have had some trouble in recent years with color rendition. In any case, I've had relatively good results with both Canon and Epson inkjets, and highly recommend Brother for laser (based on personal experience and reviews).

I might replace my Canon MG6220 once my current ink supply runs out, so I'd love it if you'd give a review of whatever you end up with. :)

5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Since you tend to know every tip and trick, I imagine you know this already Jig, but do you know the trick of making the toner cartridges last longer on the Brother? There are two small round translucent windows on either side of the cartridge. When the toner runs low enough that the two windows let in light, a sensor is triggered and the printer stops working and tells you a new toner cartridge is needed. The problem is, the cartridge is still about half full at that point. If you cover both windows with masking tape, that won't happen and you can wait until the printing starts to fade to replace the cartridge.

6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, Canon printers do have much better image quality than other inkjet printers. Contrast seems much higher too. But as far as inkjets go, it's hard to beat the economy of tank-equipped printers. As Hook said, combining a good inkjet with a B&W laser would be a very good option.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Good suggestions all! :thumbsup: I will be looking at the specs for them. :newpalm:

One major factor is that I don't print much anymore since my Son moved away. I could easily go a year without needing to replace inks, but I worried that cartridges could be in danger of drying out. I usually encountered printing problems during necessary events, such as needing to print copies of Income Tax forms, or when I appealed my Property Tax bill and needed to print my letters and documents for submitting to the board at my Appeal Hearing or on other odd occasions.

And wouldn't you just know, when I was online this afternoon researching Win 10 drivers for the Lexmark, I found updated 64-bit drivers for Win 7, installed them on top of the existing ones on my Win 7 laptop, and printed a bunch of test pages with no trouble whatsoever! It was terrific! At least I know that I'll have a printer to use for Income Tax docs next month, even if my new one (?) hasn't arrived yet. :newpalm:

I'm going to look at your suggestions tonite and tomorrow. Thanks, guys! :vbsmile:

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

We just recently (December, I think) replaced our Canon All-in-One MX88x with an Epson WF3720 series All-in-One…because the Canon just, out of the blue, Would. Not. Turn. On. There were multiple posts describing the same problem on the Canon help site, so we were hesitant to go back to Canon. Something internal just said "phbttttt!" and would not be convinced otherwise. The Epson has separate cartridges but they appear to all be the same size -- strike that, there is an extra large option for black.
    If you do get a Canon, let me know what 'model' cartridge it takes -- we'd just bought a multi-pack set, and they're just taking up space.

9. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I forward that trick to our office admin - she, we, have a Brother Color Laser in her office & on the network - we really like it!

Good tip!

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Lelisa, the laser printer I referred to is a....

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HLL8...518067081&sr=8-4&keywords=brother+HL-L8350CDW

...they are no longer available through Brother but I'm sure they have a newer and upgraded one since we bought ours.

The Epson that Raspy recommended is a beast - with a beast price. At home we have a Epson 845 Work Force. It has served us well and I found generic ink for it for about 25% or less than the price for original Epson ink. Our secretary has an older model on her desk and it uses the same ink. We don't print much with these printers but haven't had much ink drying up. I have had other ink jet printers wHere the ink would dry up over time.

We have a couple of B&W lasers at the office. All of them have worked great - especially the one that is in a room where the temp rises in the summer - it works like a charm all the time - it is a 8 year old Brother laser.

At the price of the Epson that Raspy recommended one could get a nice color laser - but then an ink jet will produce better pictures than a laser - but I have our pictures printed at Costco.

If you don't do a lot of printing and you have room for two printers, an inexpensive B&W laser and the Cannon Inkjet like Hook recommended could be a great combo, however Raspy's Epson sure looks awesome!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018