Windows 10 Enterprise V. 21H1 question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Jun 1, 2021.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

So, those other unfortunates running a non-Home version of Win-10, have you had a File Explorer window close on its own? talk about frustrating. I'd come across something on the 'net some months ago -- there's a sh¡t-ton of others in my boat. My IT dept. had no luck w/ the links I'd found (there are even more now). Anyone here have this happen, and if yes, how did you fix it? Thanks.

scjjtt, Hook and headcronie like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I have not had that happen, or at least nobody has reported it to me. I manage ~500 windows systems. However, I have only recently deployed 20h2 of Enterprise Education. I find it interesting that your system is running spring updates. The fall updates are supported for almost 3 years from release vs the spring versions are only supported for 18mos. Maybe your sys admins are deploying every update to their systems. I don't have that luxury.

In my experience, if explorer.exe crashes, it is due to a rather substantial application crash. It could be tied to a misbehaving driver. Really hard to diagnose without detailed logs.

Sent from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

3. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I am running Win 10 Pro with the 21H1 update and have not seen this problem. Maybe it's a problem with Enterprise Edition?

scjjtt, headcronie and RickAgresta like this.
  4. headcronie

The biggest issue is that of workplace imposed group policies, registry edits, and deployed applications. What was a stable OS can be left teetering on questionable reliability due to any combination of the previously mentioned configurations. There are so many tweaks that can be applied and fully testing them all can be daunting if not impossible depending on the scope and magnitude of systems being managed and how many people are on the team to assess the changes. In my case, I try my best, but there is no way I can test for everything. I do a lot of break fix. I deploy something after initial assessment, and then try to fix things after I get reports that stuff is broken. That's just the way it works when systems outnumber me ~500 to 1. In some cases, I get things workable, but never fixed. That's just the way it works sometimes...

5. RickAgresta

Throw in, too, 'management' from across the sea. But that's just me…

6. headcronie

Well, now the whole problem comes into focus. That's where the problem is. ;)

7. RickAgresta

hc, sitting in the same chair, at the same desk, over a period of ~18 months, my paychecks came from 3 different entities. the first two were American, at least

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I don't think I've experienced that problem either. Are you sure Windows Explorer (the new name for File Explorer) isn't closing because you disconnected from a specific source? For example, if you plug in a USB drive or external drive or terminate the connection to a NAS or Cloud (sometimes the WiFi connection might falter on its own, kicking you out of Windows Explorer); and then eject it, the Windows Explorer window will close.

9. RickAgresta

Edmund, yes, I'm sure that what you described had not happened, when the instance of File Explorer closed.

ps: sent you a PM

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Sorry about the mix-up on nomenclature. It is indeed back to File Explorer.