Windowed Multitasking: Cornerstone by onskreen

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Mi An, Oct 2, 2012.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

It's not device specific. "HandBrake's general-purpose preset for High Profile H.264 video, with all the bells and whistles." Here's a link showing the command line options. I had a better description somewhere, but can't find it right now.

2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks. You use the CLI instead of the GUI? I haven't used HB in awhile, so I have no idea what presets they have; but they used to have several. I was wondering if that was a preset.

3. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The extended multitasking features on the Note 2 works very well, better it seems than on the Note 10.1. At least according to reviews it seems to be. From what I have seen with my own eyes, the windows multitasking, along with the popup browser and video, works very well. But there are some caveats. First, not all the apps will work on this. It seems Samsung keeps a list which apps can do and allows them to be included in the side bar. So far some commons are included, like Chrome, Google Talk, Youtube, GMail, Facebook and Twitter. Tapatalk isn't included however and there don't seem to be any provision to add more by your own choosing. It seems Samsung does their own certification, and if an app that works happens to get installed on the phone, then it gets added to the list automatically.

Mi An likes this.
  4. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The windowed multitasking on the Note 2 isn't as cool as Cornerstone, although it is robust and works very well.

There are a number of limitations.

The split window allows only for two windows. That's it. You cannot run the same app on both windows. Android doesn't allow for multiple instances of the same app, it seems.

It is limited to only a handful of commons. Means the vast majority of Android apps won't be able to do this. The commons that are included are the most used ones like Facebook, Twitter, GTalk, GMail, Chrome and Youtube. You can't add to the sidebar list on your own. It seems Samsung does their own testing, keeps an internal list, and installs the app on the sidebar if the listed app happens to be installed on your phone.

The pop up browser and the popup video player only works for one instance. Means you can run both at the same time, but you can't do two pop up browsers or two pop up players at the same time. You can run the pop up browser along with the system browser or Chrome, or the pop up player with another video player or the Youtube app at the same time. Keep noticing the rule that Android will not run multiple instances of the same app. So if you want multiple instances of the same functionality, its better to all run a different app with the same function.

5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

[video=youtube_share;h384z7Ph0gU]http://youtu.be/h384z7Ph0gU?t=2m[/video]

Here's (starting at about 2 minutes) ubuntu touch's approach. The side stage on top of the full screen isn't my favorite, but right at about 2:25 (brighthand doesn't recognize the time deep link, sorry) they briefly mention you don't have to run the side layer on top, you can split the screens.

Even parties interested in windowed multitasking seem to underestimate how flexible you can get at modern tablet resolutions. Sure, there are some limits based on the size, and the old sub 200 ppi tablets are more limited, but when you've got desktop and higher than desktop resolutions, there's really a lot more space to multitask than is made available here, in samsung's multiwindow or in cornerstone.

Not recently, but I have read about an android compatibility layer (as opposed to an emulator) that can be installed on normal ubuntu to run android apps more smoothly. Depending on how it works, and how well, I may be using the non-touch version of ubuntu eventually. There have also been advances in wine for ARM, though I don't think that's come too far.

RickAgresta and Drillbit like this.
  6. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

That video looks really good.

I am interested in experimenting with Ubuntu. Ordering myself a cheap Asus netbook (similar specs to the Acer Chromebook) but runs on Ubuntu.

7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Yay! Cornerstone has been updated for jellybean and there are even some infinity devs playing with it. Links later.

8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Paranoid Android is dipping their foot in the multiwindow pool apparently. They announced a tech demo of pop up windows that doesn't seem too related, but they promise it's a foundation for windowed multitasking features to come. The more the merrier. No one has really nailed it yet anyway. Paranoid Android teases in-app pop-up window multitasking (video)

Here's the cornerstone CM rom link I referenced earlier: [CM10.1][CORNERSTONE/MULTIWINDOW]bryce_rom[04/25] - xda-developers I think this happened because onskreen picked up some commercial customers and began updating the source again: Onskreen | Cornerstone

9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

[video=youtube;d5WljHcOyXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5WljHcOyXs[/video]

Paranoid Android unveils "Halo", their version of windowed multitasking tech demo'd a couple of months ago. It's not exactly what I had in mind (for tablets especially) but I kinda get it. Instead of jumping to another app and freezing the one your on in the background, it opens an app in a popup window while the app behind it continues to run. It's basically quicker transitions with less reloading and redrawing. I wouldn't say it's multitasking at its best (the guy on the video does), but it makes more sense to me than the current android interface.

The video guy keeps referencing facebook chatheads as inspiration, but it really reminds me of webos' wave bar more than anything, though it's more notification centric.

10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

If you go back in time and check out post #4, you'll see a Google hostile to 3rd party windows (the mechanism, not the OS). Android Police has a story about Google experimenting with windowed multitasking over the past year (just what they have done, not about what future plans are).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...-early-multi-window-explorations-for-android/

It doesn't matter as much to me anymore. ConsoleOS, the kickstarted Android/Windows multiboot solution, is to have its own windowed option in Android, and my Dell Venue 8 Pro has MS Windows too. But from my days with a large 1080P android convertible, I think the OS and the hardware are ready for the feature. Google should pursue it and have one solution that everyone can use rather than multiple proprietary solutions.

Hook and scjjtt like this.