Windowed Multitasking: Cornerstone by onskreen

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Mi An, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Onskreen | Cornerstone
    Cornerstone seems to be an interface alternative that can be baked into ROMs (as far as I can tell, that's the only way to get it). I'm having trouble finding any roms that currently utilize it, though I have seen this report that cyanogenmod was interested in it. I went searching for windowed multitasking shortly after I got my infinity, and found this, but no usable form of it.

My Transformer is kind of a big upgrade from my old netbook, a little bigger screen and a dramatically higher resolution, yet despite that, it's less capable of multitasking. I grant you, setting up multiple windows on my netbook in such cramped space wasn't a recommended use, and it was rarely pretty, but it worked and I did it all the time. Given the range of apps and widgets available, multitasking on android should be more feasible. I shouldn't need to swap between fullscreen programs to mess with simple things like my mp3 controls, to switch playlists, podcasts, skip an entry or monitor a feed/email or any number of other things. Cornerstone looks brilliant. It doesn't look as flexible as what I'd ultimately like to see, but it's a great start. I have little desire to put an alternate rom on my transformer, especially before the warranty runs out, but a feature like this one would tempt me sorely.

[video=youtube;qX8w3UZIjkc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX8w3UZIjkc[/video]

I hope this is the future of Android, but I suspect despite being tantalizingly close, I won't ever get to use it. The Cornerstone source hasn't been updated in a many months, and I see no cyanogen references to it since the spring. Other interested posters seem to think it's all but abandoned. And that's a real shame.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Mi An likes this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I'll look into that and from the comments, something from tasker I've never heard of either. "Scenes". Thanks =)

4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Samsung adds Multi-Window despite threat from Google

First recent news I've seen on this. Everything else is from back in the spring. It's a horrible tale of why cornerstone failed, and a tiny note of hope thanks to Samsung.

When Cyanogen started exploring adding cornerstone into CM as an option for users, Google brought on the threats to stop them:
    And a little hope:
    Good on Samsung for doing something cool. I hope the impulse spreads.

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. jigwashere

I found another application that attempts to provide some kind of windowed multitasking. At least, I think that's what's going on. BSPlayer purports to play videos in a pop-up window. [video=youtube;A55FTZ3WemI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A55FTZ3WemI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Mi An likes this.
  6. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Multi-windows would be nice on a tablet, but I'm not quite sure what value it would have (for me) on a smartphone, even a 5" one. What I would like is the capability that Linux has of opening a program on one desktop (home screen) and leave it open and running full screen while switching to a different desktop or having programs be minimized to tabs that could be used to pop up a particular running program full screen. I just don't see wanting to use a program while it is less than full screen (on a phone), especially if it needs to pop up a keyboard. I guess the one case for me might be cutting and pasting between programs.

The other possibility might be to have desktops not be discrete... have one long desktop you could slide and have anything arranged on it anywhere you want (a program window could straddle what might now be two desktops). It would require the slide control to be both smooth and precise.

Probably the above just illustrates why no one asks me to design their smartphones. :rolleyes: ;-)

7. jigwashere

If only someone would invent a dual-screen smartphone (Kyocera Echo), maybe multitasking would take hold.

8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I may well be the only one who hadn't heard of qslide till today, but since reading about it, this seems a good place to mention it. It's LG's take on windowed multitasking, except instead of placing the windows adjacent to each other, it puts them in the same space and makes the top window adjust-ably translucent so you can continue to view the background window while using the foreground. There's a video of it in action here: LG tells the story behind QSlide multitasking, won't be mad if you tweet at the same time (video) -- Engadget

I'm mostly just glad to see that there's an awareness of the demand for, not just the ability of the OS to juggle tasks, but for the user to do so too. I hope Google gets the message and integrates some options into android directly. As their first instinct appeared to be to force the genie back in the bottle, I hope growing pressure from their partners makes them rethink.

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  9. jigwashere

I finally got around to loading a video on my E4GT and trying out BS Player. I encoded a DVD using Handbrake's High Profile preset. The video played beautifully. Controls are nice (typical of 2 or 3 other video players I've tried). I was pleasantly surprised at how well the pop-out works. I was able to watch the video in a pop-out window while using other apps. No hiccups, bumps, or bruises along the way. I'm considering upgrading to the paid version.

Mi An likes this.
  10. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Jig, what does the High Profile setting on HB do? Is it specifically for your device or screen res or Android?