Will Verizon follow AT&T's lead over no-contract phones?

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by HunterGG, Jan 9, 2014.

1. HunterGG

HunterGG Newbie

I recently read that At&T is offering users a cheaper service with no-contract phones. My first thought was that this was an unexpected move by one of the biggest carriers in the nation and I started to wonder if Verizon would follow suit. I thought it was highly unlikely but I'm starting to reconsider it now (since this might take a way some Verizon customers). What does everyone else thing? Will Verizon follow AT&T's lead?

2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I don't care that much about whether they go contract-less; but the competition seems to be heating up (finally). Maybe data prices and overall costs will come down as they compete. For quite some time it seems as if the major carriers were in some kind of colluding detente that kept prices and restrictions high.

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

Verizon tends to respond glacially slowly on price. Only time will tell. BTW, keep in mind Verizon's LTE is almost fully built out. At&t's is a distant second and Sprint ant Tmo are an absurdly distant third and fourth when it comes to LTE buildout. I remember looking at LTE coverage maps when I bought my iPhone 5 about a year ago. Verizon had the US painted reddish orange. At&t had a weak splotchy coverage that did not extend north of Columbus Oh and was about 1/5 that of Verizon. Tmo and Sprint both had coverage that was about 1/5 that of At&t. There is no reason for Verizon to "buy" your business with rebates when they have already bought it with the well documented best coverage.

I agree. They have been at this for way too long. People are angry about Tmo's "misleading" uncarrier plans and advertising but I am grateful they have finally shaken things up. Actually, I think MVNOs like Net10 and StraightTalk are doing more to shake things up by reselling Verizon, Sprint and At&t service on a PAYG basis cheaper than you could get the same service from those carriers even if you brought your own phone. I remember calling Sprint and offering to bring my own phone so I could "try out" their service on a month to month basis and they basically told me I had to get a 2 year contract even if I didn't have a subsidized phone. This is downright criminal. They are making billions of dollars spoonfeeding data to us. Remember unlimited data? Data was unlimited when we were all on 2G and minutes and texts were their profit centers. Now that data is their profit center, minutes and texts are free and we must sign up for onerous data plans. This is (still) downright criminal.

4. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

I'm curious, because I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to here. As far as I know, AT&T''s only non-contract plans are their Gophone plans which have been around for years. They have certainly evolved to be more Smartphone friendly, but this is nothing new. I've been using Gophone since my first Smartphone in 2009. Maybe I missed something? (Not the first time).

I think r0k is right, it is the shift in the market and the rise of the MVNOs that are putting pressure on all the big carriers, but Verizon will take the longest to respond.

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

What he's referring to is this: AT&T Introduces New Mobile Share Value Plans With More Savings and "No Annual Contract" Options. At&t now offers a $15 "discount" on the "smartphone surcharge" on a line that is associated with a phone that is no longer subsidized. For my family, our kids' lines now cost $25 each when only last month they were $40 each. This is saving our family $30 a month. Once all 4 of our lines come off subsidy, we will save $60 a month. Our bill typically runs $240 a month for 4 iPhone lines sharing 4 GB (or was it 6 GB?) of data. Now we will be spending $210 a month for the same thing and a year from now we will be down to $195 a month and a year after that we will hit $180 unless I simply can't resist that new iPhone 6. Even then, I might just decide to pay the unlocked price so I can save $360 over 2 years of usage per subsidized line. If I'm paying $200 up front plus $360 over the following 2 years, I might just decide it's worth it to shell out $600 up front (typical unlocked iPhone price) just to keep my monthly bill lower than it would be if I accepted At&t's subsidy. Clearly the $15 discount is not quite enough. They probably should give us $20 or more per line for out of contact phones but it's a step in the right direction.

lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Ah, thanks. Now I see. I was too busy noticing that you got to pay $25 a month for a device you already paid for on top of $55 to get 2GB of data that I failed to notice you weren't bound by a contract. :rolleyes: I'll stick with my 2Gb LTE and unlimited talk and text for $60 for whatever phone I put the sim card in. ;) Still, it is, as you say a step in the right direction and, I understand, that a family is going to be able to manage things much better on a post-paid plan, so I'm not really poo-pooing it. :)

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I don't think the MVNOs have had as much impact as they should. I think it's the move by a 'name brand' (T-Mobile) to shake things up a bit. That seems to be the impetus for me. Virgin, Boost, etc. have been advertising for some time without having quite the same effect.