WiFi question- Holiday Inn Problem

Discussion in 'Palm TX' started by iwrbf, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwrbf

iwrbf Mobile Enthusiast

I travel a lot for my job (2 weeks per month). I have very little problem using my T/X wifi in hotels and other hotspots, except:

In Holiday Inn properties (Crowne Plaza, etc.), I start the browser and go into search for wifi. It comes back with a good signal, then I can't get past a blank page with this address:

http://10.61.32.1/defaultportal/log...iface=0&group_id=1&url=http://mobile.palm.com

No matter what page I try to load, it defaults to this blank page. (Yep, the address states ".....defaultportal....")

Anyone got ideas how to get past this page?

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

You might try calling the support for the wifi in the hotel you are staying in. This is probably some sort of screen you are supposed to click on to agree to something to use the free wifi and blazer (the browser on the TX) can't display it. This problem also occurs at panera bread.

edit:
    Be careful about so-called free wifi. Some of them are not what they seem. Avoid the ones that are ad-hoc. Ad-hoc won't get you on the internet, but it might get you more than you bargained for (on a pc at least, there's still no such thing as a credible palm virus)

read more... (It's the boingo article way down the page)

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

@r0k: what problems do you refer to at Panera? I've had none that I can recall.

@iwrbf: something else to try is to set Blazer to fast mode, so it does not use CSS (in the 2nd {General} tab of preferences, with Fast mode highlighted, have the box checked for "Disable cascading style sheets"), but do not check the box that says "Don't download images!" It may also help to set the display mode to 'Wide page mode' -- Menu, Options, Wide Page Mode . Finally, although I do not understand why, sometimes you need to do a Refresh of the hotel's initial page.

hth,

4. Stirling

Stirling Packets in, packets out

I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night and had no problems getting on with my TX. The only thing I did differently is that I connected to the network before I launched Blazer.

5. iwrbf

iwrbf Mobile Enthusiast

Note: I have never had any problem connecting and getting on the web at Panera.

Strangely, it happens almost exclusively at Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza properties.

I may try the trick of wifi connect first then start "blazer". But I think I have tried that before and no go.

I will have to try the other trick too, but I have tried the refresh trick:

"@iwrbf: something else to try is to set Blazer to fast mode, so it does not use CSS (in the 2nd {General} tab of preferences, with Fast mode highlighted, have the box checked for "Disable cascading style sheets"), but do not check the box that says "Don't download images!" It may also help to set the display mode to 'Wide page mode' -- Menu, Options, Wide Page Mode . Finally, although I do not understand why, sometimes you need to do a Refresh of the hotel's initial page."

Thanks. Stay tuned.

6. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

I have had issues on some properties with TX as well.

Many when I have had laptop with me, perform a redirect for security certificate handshake and require you to accept terms. In these instances it is my impression that Blazer is not recognized and does not render the required page to accept terms.

I have noticed not all Holiday Inns use same support vendor, yet usually the same in a general area. Chicago sites stayed seem to share same vendor, and the Detroit area totally different group.

Country Inn & Suites, (my favorite), a Carlson property, seem to have different vendors and policies for WiFi at each location. The more metro the location the more security, often a passcode plus room number, and agree to terms screen, that do not render on Blazer. And in this case a new browser window is opened and must remain open during the session.

I suspect the Crowne Plaza type properties may provide additional security level for WiFi as protection service to clients. (not a bad thing;) )

Even if WiFi is offered I will connect RJ45 if available for laptop, or use lobby unit with flash drive and Pocket version of OpenOffice and Firefox if I must work and laptop did not make trip. I also, clear cashe on these units when completed even though browsers is not used, a favor for those that preceded me;)

7. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

Two words: Pocket Router! :D

If ya can't get in via Wifi, usually the LAN/Router solution works for me.

WyreNut

8. BAB2000

That is an option if room is wired for hard connection. I am finding more of the established hotels have opted either for no Internet Service, (resorts), or WiFi to save expense of outlets, cabling, switch gear, and cabinets.:eek:

There is one property in which I stay, I must request them to patch my room to the switch, pay $5 extra for the visit, and if the switch is full, will have to wait a present quest to check out before option is available. Not all sites promoting internet access, do!

9. cyberqueen

cyberqueen Mobile Deity

I've stayed at Crowne Plaza motels several times and had no problem connecting my TX, though as some of you may remember, I've had a number of problems elsewhere. If I were you, I'd contact the front desk at the Crowne Plaza and see whether there's someone who can help.

At Panera, once I realized I had to deal with an intro screen first, I was able to connect.

10. BAB2000

oh, oh, my bad.

I have on occasion found it necessary to remove the service from my TX and then search for it again. And then connect to the new found service.

I have had this issue frequently, that the service is found, but connection never completes. If same named service, it may not be same handshake functions for completion of the link.

11. ipmark

ipmark Mobile Deity

Well, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and I was able to perform open heart surgery the next day!

Ha, someone had to say it.

Anyway, if the fast mode trick works, you have my eternal gratitude!