WiFi Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by Shinno, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

Hello PPC people,

I just switched over to the PPC world by acquiring an h4155 from a Tungsten T. I am in my office right now, which does in fact have a wifi network, but i still can't hop on the net with my ipaq.

I turn on wifi, and it detects my work's wifi network. I can even see it in the "Configure Wireless Networks" panel.

Ok, so being the n00b I am, i figured that this was all it took to browse the net. But when i tried to access, say, yahoo.com, i get this error: "Cannot Connect with current connection settings. To change your connection settings, tap settings."

It takes me back to the Connections conrol panel, where I'm prompted to configure My Work Network. What further information do I need to input in order for this to work?

I've searched brighthand (under "wifi," "wifi setup," etc..) and found nothing to help me, so please no flaming :)

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Mark_Venture

Mark_Venture Mobile Evangelist

It depends on the security measures used by your work's wireless network so you're going to have to talk to your network admin for details...

There are a couple things needed to access a WiFi network... The SSID of the access point, what (if any) encription is being used (i.e. WEP, WPA, LEAP, etc) and the encription key being used.

Now, Encription is optional. If turned off, that makes it easier for someone to walk up and connect.

One additional security feature is MAC Address filtering. If turned on, the MAC Address of your Wi-Fi adapter must be on the "Allow access" list. If not, you can have all the other settings, but you still wont connect.

Example.. at my home, my access point is set with 128Bit Wep encription, mac address filtering on, and Broad Cast SSID off.

This means to access my wireless network, you need to manually configure your hand held with the SSID of my access point, my WEP key and the MAC address of your Wi-Fi card is listed in my router as "allow access" otherwise you will not connect.

3. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

Thanks a BUNCH, Mark.

Now I know which things to ask for come tomorrow morning.

thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.