WiFi Hotspot Devices

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jul 16, 2019.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Does anyone here have experience with WiFi Hotspot devices? I'm looking for something with the option of an external antenna to improve cellular signal strength that would accept a data-only SIM from Google Fi.

My dad is in a remote, rural area of Canada and can use his T-Mobile phone for internet access, but the signal strength is very weak and unreliable. My brother will be heading his direction in a few weeks, so I'm thinking about sending up a WiFi Hotspot with a data-only SIM from my Google Fi account. My data plan caps the expense at $60/month, and I'd be willing to pay that if it would mean they'd have solid coverage when they're there.

Here's one I'm considering: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-LTE-Modem-Broadband-Connection/dp/B01N5ASNTE/

lelisa13p, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I assume you must have reason to believe Fi coverage will be better in the remote area where your father is?

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

It is an experiment, to be sure, but since T-Mobile and Sprint seem to work in the area and Google Fi uses both, I'm hopeful. I'm not 100% confident, though, since roaming agreements or factors I'm not aware of could render Google Fi pretty useless there. Then again, Google Fi might have better roaming agreements with the local carrier than T-Mobile or Sprint. I just don't know.

I could pop a data-only Sim into my old, broken down Nexus 6, configure it to be (mostly) nothing but a hotspot. That might at least give us a sense of the potential. I'd be trading the expense of dedicated hotspot device that has a higher potential for success with a basically free option that would likely have a lower chance. I'll have to weigh those options

The Fi Sim card is on its way, regardless.:D

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.