Why smartwatches failed

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, Aug 27, 2017.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

HC - I hear you loud & clear & agree. The only notifications that come to my watches are my church emails (which I can delete emails that are not important), SMS & my appointment reminders.

When I first got the watches I was inundated by notifications - well I say inundated - I basically don't have any notifications coming to my phone except what I mentioned above. I don't even have Brighthand notifying me through Tapatalk to my phone.

In my line of work I need to be available to people when they are available. Of course, I do have boundaries (days off, phone on silent at night except for any of my favorites in my contacts). We use the phone service, Grasshopper - which is great! All the calls are routed to my cell at the times I have set - M-F, 9-5. If I don't answer or after those hours & someone leaves a message - I can read it on my phone or watch & determine if there needs to be a response, immediate or later, or to ignore.

Working with people, & the majority of them volunteers, the smartwatches has allowed me to quickly and efficiently communicate with them.

Oh - I have to stop writing - my Pebble watch is vibrating from the timer I set to remind me to turn off the extra watering that I was applying to our back lawn.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

Mi An, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

In a way, you illustrate one of the articles' points. Because, as a (Preacher? Minister? Pastor? Reverend? Not sure the proper title for you. :vboops: ), you really are an Enterprise, and you've found great ways to make it really useful to you in that context. :vbsmile:

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I understand your need for availability. My wife follows those same rules.

I do not. I have increasingly felt that my employer has taken liberties not granted to them with my time away from work. They removed my stipend for my personal phone. They have the right to do that and it is what it is. I also have the right to then not view work email on my device. It is quite liberating to not be distracted by an email coming in every 5 minutes while at work, or the after hours email when I'm done with work. I can go out on a task at work now, come back to the office, and find that it has burned down in my absence. If it is that big of an emergency, the administration can call my cell number. It's much harder to take that away once it is given out. It's a matter of principle for me. If you want me to be that connected to work, and you won't provide me with a work device, you need to compensate me for using a personal device and plan.

With my wife being on call most anytime during the day, and with her days off not actually being days off due to weddings and funerals, I decided that in order to maximize our time together, I need to be very dedicated to my work life balance. I lean family first, work second. Does not matter the size of the paycheck. Family is always first.

One of the things that the smart watch taught me, is that these devices do exactly the opposite. They pull you away. That's my own opinion, and you're free to view them and use them as you please. :)

Mi An, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I was an early adopter of Apple Watch. I ordered one just a couple of hours after ordering went live but still had to wait for mine to ship. When I got it, I loved it. I loved being able to glance at my wrist for notifications rather than digging for my phone. To me the major advantage was the ability to see the time, even in a dark room by flicking my wrist and the ability to see caller ID or read an incoming text without reaching for my phone. I shut off email notifications right away. I also loved the AW for running. At first...

I knew the battery life was miserable but I lived with it. Until my watch died and lost my stats during a marathon! Luckily I had already bought a Garmin FR 220 "running watch" that not only kept my stats but had week-long battery life. That incident started the bataan death march for my AW. Six months later I gave it to my daughter and I never looked back. I now have a "smart" running watch. It's capable of showing me texts and caller ID but I've switched all that stuff OFF! My biggest annoyance with AW, and the reason I already owned a Garmin for that first marathon, was that when I wanted to rely on it for running stats like distance and pace, I'd glance down at the thing and it would be off in the weeds showing me stock reports. Then it would ask me to stop running and enter an unlock code to get it back to running mode with sweaty hands on a cold Sunday morning. Do you think I need to know what the NYSE is doing during my run on a day the markets are closed? Hint: I don't. What I needed was to know my pace so I could go back to looking at the ground to avoid slipping on an icy patch. I've now upgraded to a Garmin FR 235 which is comparable in cost to the AW and even offers some of the same "smart" watch features of the AW but I'd rather do without those features than have that stuff intrude upon my training.

I thought about going back and giving AW2 a try but decided against it. Now AW3 is coming and once again I will probably opt to ignore it. I may upgrade to a higher end Garmin or I may simply opt to stick with what I have that is working well for me. I'm definitely part of the target audience for smart watches, I just happen to care about not being disturbed during my running more than I care about "smart" notifications from my phone. There's nothing smart about a stock market report during a run on a day all the US markets are closed. I'd call that dumb. There's nothing smart about being asked for a passcode because my wrist was sweaty and the watch thought I'd taken it off and put it back on and bluetooth was intermittent. Yes it was like that: AW can sometimes lock itself during a run on if you sweat on a cold morning. Marathon runners often sweat on cold mornings. Sometimes the harder you try to make something "smart" the "dumber" it gets...

One thing they mention in that article was they think the more successful "smart" watches look like normal watches. Interesting. The only app I've added to my Garmin is an analog watch face to make it look like a normal watch. Oh and my Garmin FR 235 is round, unlike that iPod Nano shaped AW. Just sayin...

Mi An, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I seem to be missing a lot of calls on my phone. In the past, I had a BT headset around my neck that would vibrate, but after repeated device failures, I don't use that brand anymore. Anyway, a smartwatch would fix that for me. Alas, I can't think of any other reason that would compel me see but one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mi An, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I've never had a smartwatch, although I flirted with the idea of one (mentioned here a while back). My father does use his (Samsung) and I'm surprised, because I did not think it was his kind of thing. But he's pretty disciplined and doesn't really let it disturb his off time or workflow as best as I can tell. I'll have to ask him about it a bit more.

I never thought Google Glass was a success in the broad term; but I always thought it would find success as described in that article. It's really good for that kind of use and many more like it. I was less convince from the outset that it would be this great consumer-focused social tool.

scjjtt likes this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

RickAgresta, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wearables
    The smartwatch market is actually performing pretty well
    It showed over 60 percent year over year growth during this year’s second quarter.
    [​IMG]
    Mallory Locklear, 2h ago
    While the wearables field is proving a tough space for many companies, smartwatches are apparently doing quite well. In a report from International Data Corporation on this year's second quarter earnings, sales numbers show that wearables are up 10.3 percent year over year. That number includes a small -- nearly one percent -- but notable first time drop in annual growth for basic wearables, like most Fitbit trackers, that don't run third party apps. On the other side of that, though, smartwatch growth topped 60 percent this quarter compared to the same time last year.

"Smartwatches recorded double-digit year-over-year growth, with much of that increase attributable to a growing number of models aimed at specific market segments, like the fashion-conscious and outdoor enthusiasts in addition to the technophile crowd, lower price points, and a slowly-warming reception from consumers and enterprise users alike," said IDC's wearables research manager, Ramon Llamas, in a statement. "Factor in how smartwatches are taking steps to become standalone devices, and more applications are becoming available, and the smartwatch slowly becomes a more suitable mass market product."

Apple was a big leader with nearly 50 percent year over year growth during the second quarter, while, as reported previously, Xiaomi took the top spot in the wearables market. Though Fitbit has dropped to third place and its second quarter year over year change was an over 40 percent decrease in growth, its upcoming Ionic watchcould help it grab some of the fast-moving smartwatch growth. Fossil, which entered the wearables market top five for the first time, has done well with its slew of smartwatchesproduced by its Fossil brand as well as high-end brands like Armani that fall under its umbrella. And Misfit -- another Fossil brand -- has its snazzy-looking Vapor smartwatch set to launch in October.

The next big wearables star could be clothing and earwear, which according to IDC, showed triple-digit growth. "These products are still in their initial stages, but by targeting specific market niches (performance tracking clothing for professional athletes) or providing unique value propositions (audio adjustment or language translation for earworn devices), these products are offering solutions to problems other than simply reporting data, and gaining traction," said Llamas.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  9. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Meanwhile, my $30 Martian Notifier soldiers on. I have not found it redundant at all.

It's just a plain watch with a notifier window. Doesn't do much else and I don't need for it to.

As to notifications, mine is limited to phone calls, texts, and work email. I don't need to know about every piece of spam that drops into my personal Yahoo account. My work doesn't inundate me with either emails or phone calls but I can see how that could be worse for others than for me.

It looks like a plain, cheap watch so it is discrete and I can glance at notifications and ignore the less-important things.

I don't have to fish my phone out of my pocket when my hands are already full nor enter my PIN (necessary for privacy reasons since I receive work email) unless I need to answer a message or email rightaway.

I'm kinda surprised it's working out this well.

10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

LS - that's why I enjoy my Pebble so much - it just simply works - giving me a few more options than your watch but not too much. I can quickly reply to texts & emails with voice or with a few pre-written responses.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

Hook, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.