Why Not SanDisk????

Discussion in 'Palm' started by jawbone, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawbone

jawbone Feeble minded fool

How come not the SanDisk, Ive not heard this in the past... and since I would venture to guess that SanDisk possibly may make components for others, who's do you suggest? ( so we stay away from the evil SanDisk ) :)

2. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

There are essentially three manufacturers of SD cards: Panasonic, SanDisk and Toshiba (in order of overall performance). Until the High Speed 1GB SanDIsk was released, the general commentary on SanDisks here was that of mediocre/poor write speed. If you have the time to do a lot of reading, use the search feature in forum options and search on VFS.

3. matiasdelalastr

matiasdelalastr Mobile Deity

The sandisks cards will work OK on your palm. The only problem will be when you write data to them from your computer (it ain't fast, but it is acceptable)

4. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

I have modified the thread name so the name 'SanDisk' not 'San' appears in the thread title.

Alan G

5. fongj

fongj Palm T|C Enthusiast

I've only used Sandisk SD cards for the past two years, so I have no idea how much faster/slower it is, but I can say that I've had no reliability issues. I started out with a 256mb card that lasted me a year, then I upgraded to a 512mb card for nine months, then for the past three months I've had a 1gb card. All of these were the regular speed cards, and the smaller capacity ones are still being used (in a camera and a USB storage keychain) without problems. Initially, because of the bad reports, I was worried when buying Sandisk, but because they have been the more cost-effective (aka cheapest!) while performing reliably. I would recommend Sandisk, and would not hesitate to buy them when the price is right.

6. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I own mostly Panasonic SD cards because I needed the fastest possible for my digital camera (which is also coincidentally Panasonic). However, I've been using some "slower" cards in my various Palm models and haven't noticed any problems. I use my SD cards to store video, photos, eBooks, MP3s, etc., and I've never encountered any performance issues with these slower cards. My biggest card (Kingston 512mb -- really a Toshiba) is actually the slowest card I own, and I have no problems with MMPlayer, AeroPlayer, etc. Even writing data to the card from my PC -- I use a USB 2.0 card reader for this task and it's perfectly acceptable (I don't notice much difference between it and my fastest cards). If you're using your Palm Hotsync to transfer this type of data, you can expect horrible peformance, even when using a program like Card Export (which I also have an use).

If you want the fastest, another namebrand you can get for less money than genuine Panasonic label is SimpleTech Pro X series -- they're actually Panasonic cards, but are usually much cheaper (especially after rebates).

My advice/experience? Go with the cheapest, popular namebrand you can find and you will do just fine. You will definitely get an excellent $/mb ratio on a "slower" card, without much (if any) noticeable difference in performance.

Specifically regarding SanDisk -- I've read on numerous camera forums of SanDisk cards failing after using them in a card reader. Apparently, they do just fine in digital cameras, but the wrong (or right?) card reader can really mess up this card, making it inaccessible. I have not heard of this happening much with any other namebrand of card, but SanDisk is a very popular namebrand, so I'm sure I'd hear about problems with it more often than a lesser namebrand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.