Why need a skin or launcher?

Discussion in 'Themes and Skins (Palm OS)' started by Constance, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Constance

Constance Mobile Deity

I apologize for this silly question, but why would someone need a skin or a theme? Why would you need a launcher?
    I've been reading about launchers, and have even downloaded Zlauncher. I've been reading the manual...but I don't get it.
    Can someone please explain it? thanks so much!!!

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I don't think it's a question of need. Some people just don't like the default application launcher, so they install an alternate one that's more to their taste.

If you're happy with the current one, you don't have to worry about this whole class of apps.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

As Ed said. A lot of it falls into "because it's cool" category. Alternate launchers also offer additinal functionality which you may or may not care about. Zlauncher has a lot of great features, but the downside is-- it has a lot of features. You can get it to do as little or as much as you like and I love it, but it is very intimidating for the new user.

4. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Ed & Hook are both correct, Constance. Depending on your use of your device, a third-party launcher is not needed. But there are some big advantages. The price can be a rather steep learning curve, especially for a launcher with lots of features. Searching these forums will yield a lot of info about various launchers - Here are a couple to get you started:
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=85946
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=82306

There are others, and even more with detailed Q&A. Have a read through the two linked just above, and do some searching for others, and you can decide if a third-party launcher is something that would benefit you. If your PDA use doesn't warrant a launcher, then I certainly wouldn't recommend buying one - Many folks use the standard Palm launcher and it suits them just fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that! :D

Note: The linked threads are a couple of years old, so keep that in mind as you read them. Changes and updates have since been made. Also, I use ZLauncher, and those threads focus somewhat on ZL. There are other launchers available, and perhaps a different one would better suit your needs, should you decide you want one at all. Finally, a couple of links in those threads are broken, probably due to the merger of BH and another forum a couple of years ago...

Joe

5. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

I have ALOT of third party applications. Without a launcher, I'd have to page through a single page of icons to get to the program I want, since the standard Palm launcher arranges them alphabetically. So if I want to use SplashShopper, I'd have to page down to the S's. NBD if you don't have alot of third party software, but in my case, it's tiresome to have to do each time I want to run this program. Zlauncher allows me to arrange my programs, so I can get to them quickly.

Another reason is there are some programs I have running off the SD card. Without a launcher, you'd have to go to the top of the Palm launcher & switch to the SD card in order to run these programs. Again, a launcher facilitates this process.

Themes don't really serve any purpose other than being eye candy. But (IMO) there's nothing wrong with eye candy. :D

6. Constance

Constance Mobile Deity

Silly Rabbit:

"Another reason is there are some programs I have running off the SD card. Without a launcher, you'd have to go to the top of the Palm launcher & switch to the SD card in order to run these programs. Again, a launcher facilitates this process."

uh, I do see that I have applications on my SC card via FileZ. where is the top of the Palm Launcher? I can't figure it out... I have a Launcher.DAT, and Reader.DAT, and NV backup....

Thank you for the replies.

7. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

What the "rabbit" is saying is, from the launcher screen, tap the top-right word (usually "All"). A menu of categories will pop up, with the name of the memory card appearing at the bottom (under a separator line). Tap that name to bring up your card's apps (you'll get no icons if none are installed). Tap it again and tap "All" to go back (or just hit the Home silkscreen icon or button).

The folder that apps are copied to by the OS is "PALM/Launcher". Having a lot of apps there slows things down, so people create different folders on the card, put their apps there, and use a 3rd-party launcher (ZLauncher, iSpin, etc.) to access them.

iSpin, by the way, has a free version. :D

8. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

I lived without ZLauncher for quite a while. I thought it was a lot to pay just to be able to use some wallpaper and different icons.

But...I eventually tried the trial (more than once I think--not consecutively) and finally started to see the increased usability (for me anyway)

A couple of caveats....I like to tinker. AND I particularly like to be able to make a device behave and look the way I want. Clean, simple and usable. ZLauncher enables me to do that. Being able to copy/move/delete things from the launcher is a big usability enhancement for me other than having to hit menu/delete and scroll down and find the app.

I also felt the same way about MySkin/MyKbd. Now I can't live without it. Then enhanced usability is great, the enhanced "look" is just a perk, at least for me.

Bottom line, if it works for you, it works for you. If it doesn't, then make it work for you.

9. lorsban

lorsban Mobile Deity

So that it looks good. Palm's UI hasn't changed much the past few years and a lot of us still like it but find it's looks a little bland. So...

I'm using Initiate. It allows me to type launch anything (apps, calls, sms) from anywhere (card or ram). What's cool with Initiate now is that I can change the icons. Tried Zlauncher myself but I found it too difficult to set up. Initiate was (and still is) a breeze.

Attached Files:

10. lorsban

lorsban Mobile Deity

Here's how it looks stock....Doesn't exactly scream cutting edge or "fun."

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.