Why I left PocketPC for Tungsten - 10 reasons

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Sydney, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sydney

Sydney Mobile Enthusiast

I had a Toshiba pocketpc - a well built machine. But I switched to the Tungsten because...

1. Navigation is simpler, more direct and requires less key stroke to perform the same tasks.

2. Size is more pocketable.

3. Screen is better at 320 X 320

4. Much better battery life.

5. Less crashes and resets

6. More applications

7. Less multimedia tricks to clutter the system (If I want geek-level-multimedia I'll use a Playstation or PC).

8. Superb ergonomettric design.

9. Robust 'tungsten' feel.

10. I don't want to be reminded of my Windows desktop all the time. It would be like eating every meal at McDonalds. Interface familiarity is no longer as important as diversity and customisability.

2. Blob

Blob Mobile Deity

cool post, fun to read!

3. gRendel23

gRendel23 Mobile Consultant

I went through a similar experince:

Palm IIIXE--Wow this really isn't just a toy! Yuck batteries.

IPAQ--Yeah rechargable batteries.
    Screen sure is pretty and mp3 are great, but Arrgh! Active Sync, Arrgh speaker pop, Arrgh the PIM doesn't work.

PalmVx--Now this is classy. Yeah! rechargable batteries.

Visor Prism--Nice scren, but a little bulky and the plastic case is fragile.

Toshiba Genio 550--Screen sure is pretty and mp3 are great, but Arrgh! Active Sync still is not good enough, Arrgh the PIM STILL doesn't work, Arrgh the batteylife.

Visor Prism--with Visorphone--Cool, functional, a bit bulky, a bit unstable.

Palm T|T--Now this is classy. It has all the cool screen and multimedia of the Pocket PC. The PIM works, Hotsync works. Soon Mp3's and Bluetooth with a T68i

For me, the bottom line is that Palms work.

4. Carpet crawler

Carpet crawler Mobile Deity

And that is the catch 22.

CC

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man 42

As someone on these forums said, "Windows in your pocket!" is not a marketing slogan but a warning.

6. Rifleman

Rifleman Newbie

Just Curious about applications...

How can you say that the Palm platfor is better if:

1. It can only Sync the stupid Inbox and no sub folders in Outlook.

2. You have to buy a separate program to view Office Docs

3. No media player and can only suport MP3 not wma.

4. 80211.b support SUCKS

5. Screen is TERRIBLE compared to 3900's and 5450

6. No Bluetooth

7. Microsoft Reader..

so on....

Basically as far as usability of the device, I had a palm and Handspring for a few years then the iPaq came out and I never looked back. I'd rather take the resets over stunted features.

My 02 cents

I will probably hear it now......

7. gtmtnbiker98

gtmtnbiker98 Mobile Deity

1. Document's to Go comes bundled with the Palm M500 series and above. No need to purchase additional Software. How about that formatting as compared to Pocket Word?

2.. 802.11b support remains to be seen.

3. Screen is terrible? What, 320 X 320 is terrible, as compared to what, your laptop?

4. No bluetooth? Obviously a troll who knows little about handhelds, especially Palm. Wasn't Palm the first to intoduce bluetooth capabilities to handheld devices, namely the bluetooth SD/IO card?

5. Who wants Microsoft reader, isn't the Palm Reader the industry standard?

The only valid point made was the lack of audio support, and yes, we all got burnt on that one.

8. bloemkool

bloemkool Mobile Enthusiast

From my point of view:

- The Tungsten is smaller
    - The T|T (Tungsten) has a sharp display at 320x320 (using hires)
    - Great classy look (better than a large IpaQ)
    - More stable
    - Far more free software!
    - It needs getting used to, but when used to....GREAT

Ok, Palm (in general) also has:
    - Less Multimedia playback features
    - Little more difficult to use some appz (you must first convert files before you can use them)
    - Outlook sync --> SUCKS! :(
    - No Windows (depends on what you like, WIN is formiliar!)

To choose:
    If you know something about computers etc...go for the T|T if you have a PC and have difficulty to use it and have a large suitcase or jacket, go for the IPAQ :D

(My opinion)

9. kramer00000000

kramer00000000 Mobile Enthusiast

I'd rather take the resets over stunted features.

Let's bear in mind that "stunted" is a very subjective word, considering that your needs and my needs may be leagues apart.

It should be observed that most of your complaints are due to the lack of, or incompatibility with, a Microsoft operating system, program, or file format. Since Microsoft compatability is something you obviously need, it ranks pretty high on the *duh* scale that you should go with something that is so heavily produced, promoted, and integrated by/with Microsoft. However, not all of us need that same level of Microsoft compatability, and thus we can live with the toned-down Microsoft-compatible feature set because we don't need those missing "features."

As far as the resets-vs-features comparison, it only makes sense to take the resets if you need those features. I don't need the same level of Microsoft compatability. Therefore, I have a wider choice of handhelds to pick from, including ones that don't require me to reset frequently. For me, the best device was a T|T. Frankly, my T|T just works, and it does exactly what I need it to do. Thus, it was the best choice for me.

10. zensbikeshop

zensbikeshop Mobile Deity

I've just sold my iPAQ 3970 on Ebay and bought a T|T.

Why?

I realised that I never took the iPAQ with me unless I had a briefcase as it was too big.

The Palm PIM features are quicker and simpler to use.

I really don't need to play music or video.

I actaully have no problems syncing with Outlook - HotSync has never given me a problem wheras ActiveSync....

Documents to go came with my T|T and is sooo much better that Pocket Word and Excel and of course there is now Powerpoint equivalent on the Pocket PC.

Great battery life on the T|T.

And speed; the T|T is just so quick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.