Why GSM?!?!

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Billbeme, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billbeme

Billbeme Billbeme

My only question is why for GSM? What about us CDMA users? Are we expected to switch?

-Bill
  2. r0k

r0k Dazed

CDMA is on its way out. It will be replaced in 18 months. Of course they were saying this 72 months ago! If I had to pick a standard to support, I'd pick GSM and have a world wide audience. Apple can release a CDMA version when they get around to it. CDMA will be around for years to come but the first release needs to be usable in more than one country. Rather than thumb their nose at the world, they chose to thumb their nose at some users in the US. GSM users were all raving at Palm for ignoring them when the 700 series was being launched. It's just a matter of priorities with limited development budget. Give 'em time and they'll release the phone on CDMA. If these things sell well, the CDMA carriers will beat down the doors at Apple and a CDMA version won't be that far behind.
  3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

r0k has hit the nail on the head. The number of GSM users worldwide vastly outnumbers CDMA users. Simple economics.

Colloquially, you dip one toe in the water, not two.

p.s. Wow, two clichés in one short post.
  4. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

And two twos in one sentence! I'm not sure how you dip a two in the water, though. Do you hold on to the top, or the straight part at the bottom?
  5. glorfindeal

glorfindeal Mobile Enthusiast

Don't bet on a cdma iPhone in the near future. Cingular has it as an exclusive for at least 2 years. This includes any future version of the iPhone.

Glor
  6. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Simple economics indeed: 2 billion GSM subscriptions and over 81% share of the global market !

See here, this article (dated july 2006) indicates more and more CDMA carriers are either building a GSM overlay on their network or completely switching over. Not one single GSM carrier made the reverse move ...

I don't believe a CDMA version will ever be build for iPhone.
    Not unless the requesting carrier is willing to pay for the additional development costs ... they are not going to do this since it is a niche product. And Apple is surely not going to do it since it would hurt their nice 50% margin :rolleyes:
  7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Interesting article Holvy. What's mind boggling in regards to that though, is that Verizon and Sprint keep on pushing out more CDMA. Their networks are huge across the US. Something makes me think they aren't going to abandon that technology any time soon.
  8. Billbeme

Billbeme Billbeme

So theoretically, what do you do if you want the iPhone and (literally) 95% of everyone you know has a Verizon CDMA account? What is the major difference between CDMA and GSM? Is a data plan cheaper? Does anyone have one and wish they had the other? Will people copy the iPhone as soon as they can to bring it to a CDMA network? How is GSM coverage? These questions and more at 11:00...
    Billbeme
  9. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I know it's a Cingular exclusive, but where did you hear this will last for two years? A typical exclusivity contract is for three months.
  10. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Besides the market-size issue, there's also the fact that GSM carriers are much more leniant about what phones they allow on their network. Verizon, for instance, exerts a large amount of control over even the basic design of the phones they carry.
  11. Adama D. Brown

Well, then you have to prioritize whether you want mobile-to-mobile calling or the iPhone. I'm afraid there's no way around that.

At the bottom line, they use different methods to control how the phone communicates to the network, and how the available radio frequencies are divided up.

Generally, yes, though the "smartphone" plans for both Cingular and Verizon are identical at $45 per month.

I doubt that Apple will allow anyone to imitate the iPhone any time soon.

That depends somewhat on your location, and carrier. GSM coverage is best in the eastern US, less so in the west. You can get a good idea for it by comparing the coverage map for Cingular to Verizon's "enhanced services" map. You don't want to use the regular Verizon map because it includes a lot of analog coverage which their smartphones can't actually use, so it's a bit deceptive.
  12. Adama D. Brown

I don't know about two years, but Apple is described by Cingular as having a "multi-year" exclusivity contract for an entire line of iPhone products.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2082059,00.asp

ThinkSecret had an article a little while back citing sources as saying that the iPhone would remain a Cingular exclusive for the duration of its market life.
  13. glorfindeal

There are a few articles on it. I don't remember all of them, but here is a link to ThinkSecrets article:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0701applecingular.html

They tend to be very accurate.

Glor
  14. Billbeme

Billbeme Billbeme

Gentlemen, You clearly took a great deal of time on answering each of my questions one by one. For this, I am thankful. I suppose, I will have to fall back in love with my Treo 650 because I just can't remotely justify trying to lay hands on an iPhone. It just isn't worth it by any means. Anyone know some good apps for a Treo? ha!
    -Bill
  15. glorfindeal

You know, my treo 650 ended up costing just as much as the iPhone will. I ended up adding a wi-fi sled to it because I found Edge to be too slow for internet access. I will be very happy to get rid of my 650 for an iPhone.

Glor
  16. Adama D. Brown

Glad we could be of assistance. For apps, you might want to look here:

http://software.brighthand.com/

Or here:

http://mytreo.net/downloads/
  17. Billbeme

Billbeme Billbeme

That is very helpful! As much as I would like the iPhone, I just dont think it's going to happen and I appreciate you guys helping me ot realize that. On a positive note, I have started to look at software, and it makes all the difference! There is soo much. I was aprehensive becuase I was afraid it was going to crash my phone and it is my only way to communicate, so I was worried. I guess it will just be trial and error. If anyone has any sortware to suggest that would be great. Thanks again.
    -Bill
  18. Adama D. Brown

You might want to consider getting a good backup program, and making a "clean" backup of your Treo now before you start experimenting too much. That way, if you should run into something which completely crashes, all you'd need to do is hard-reset and reload the backup, and then you're up and running again.
  19. Billbeme

Billbeme Billbeme

How would I go about doing that? Thanks -Bill
  20. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

NVBackup is an excellent freeware solution. Get it here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.